PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Charlie Weis beating the "Patriots should draft Mac Jones" drum

I can see some of the Brady comparisons. He’s not a great athlete, but he’s good at moving in the pocket. He’s really good at moving the defense with his eyes. He’s great at dropping passes in the bucket, so accurately. He’s also extremely smart at reading defenses and getting rid of the ball fast. He’ll take the check down instead of forcing things into things that aren’t open.

Like Brady, people talk about his arm strength, he may not have the strongest arm out of the 2021 QBs, but he can make all of the throws. I’ve seen him throw 50+ yards on a line, in stride for TDs. And he’s a winner. People may talk about the weapons he had, but nobody ever talked about Tua having weapons, and stats wise, he had a better career than Tua at Alabama.

Id be thrilled if we come out of the draft with Jones as our 1st round pick.
I second that. I've said before I watch the SEC every week during the season focusing on Alabama, Florida and Georgia. I believe Mac Jones is a QB the Patriots can win tall with. He may need a few years of further development but he has the talent.

The draft is a lot like a box of cokkalates...you never know if you're gonna get pregnant... :whistle:

Remember Bill Parcells saying the Jacoby Brissett is so mature and highly recommending him? I think it is best to read @BaconGrundleCandy 's recommendations and then wait until the Pats pick. The Patriots might suck at picking wide receivers, but they have been one of the best at picking QBs. Sit and wait is the best strategy and it will become clear soon enough. :oops:

Remember Bill Parcells saying the Jacoby Brissett is so mature and highly recommending him? I think it is best to read @BaconGrundleCandy 's recommendations and then wait until the Pats pick. The Patriots might suck at picking wide receivers, but they have been one of the best at picking QBs. Sit and wait is the best strategy and it will become clear soon enough. :oops:
Its weird, normally I feel like I'm higher on Jones than most but his hype is real rn. I really like Mac, just not at 15.

I could care less about the talent around him. I never understood that argument for any player or prospect. LOL I mean isn't that literally what scouting is all about? Isolating a player to see his game, traits etc? Idk, I'm only a dumb guy doing it from home but that argument always makes me laugh.

Anyway I really Jones but he has legitimate concerns that people either ignore or just dk bc they haven't studied him.

Footwork is an issue when hes forced to move, create another pocket or throw off platform. If his OL isn't very good or defenses are able to get him moving a certain way and he could problems putting the ball where it needs to be.

He'll lock on to WR at times. Like anyone else, college or NFL. That doesn't really bother me but his footwork isn't good enough to recover or again create another platform quickly enough and his upper half will lock on as well.

Needless to say when things break down and he has to go off script it's a problem.

Again I really like him but think top 15 is a bit rich.

It's silly season. And yea Bill takes recommendations seriously but Weiss is clearly in love with Mac. You note it down. Let Charlie vent if he wants to but this Bills final chapter. I hope he's making the decision through and through.

One other about it being silly season. I've been reading about Fields falling. He's slow, locks on reads. Just consider the source. OSU was asking a lot out of Fields. A lot and he looked pretty good to me. I'd bet anything he goes top 3-5.

The draft is a lot like a box of cokkalates...you never know if you're gonna get pregnant... :whistle:
Well ...cheers...to being late sir!

I feel like discounting him because his team was talented is kind of a cop out.

Now, you won't know how the kid did under pressure. But you can still evaluate how did he make his reads and was he accurate with the ball. Those are probably the two most important things.

I honestly don't care about who is projected to go where at this point because every year we find out alot of those draft guys were wrong. Derek carr, russell wilson and Jimmy G were all second rounders. Kirk cousins and dak prescott were 4th rounders. And there have been many busts in the first round from "got to have first round talents"

So this idea that we hear every year of "you only can draft a QB in the top 10" is kind of flawed

One of the reasons "he played on a talented team" is bs is bc they're going to the NFL!! It's an all-star league lol. It's literally the best of the best, 99th % type stuff.

Idk I just hate hearing that. Again people have been isolating player traits, tendencies etc forever. It's a weak pitch if you ask me.

I could excuse fans of other teams thinking Brady doesn’t have one of the strongest arms in the game but a Pats fan?

The entire myth has been build upon the last decade when the only deep threats Brady had were Cooks and Hogan, and the Pats offense was build upon short and medium passes.

Go and re-watch highlights from 2007. Brady was throwing 50-60 yards passes to Moss with the absolute ease. He overthrew Moss with a 70 yard pass against the Cowboys. Hit Moss right in the hands with a 70+ yard pass in the SB right after being slammed on the previous down.

Even this year, Brady was throwing 50 yard bombs 5 times a game, at age 43.

Of all the myths and inaccuracies about Brady, the notion that he didn’t/doesn’t have a cannon of an arm, is the most false.

Yes, but this is a cop out. Let's face it. Alabama had the pick of the best qb's in the country coming out of high school and chose Jones. He had an OMG incredible year and did everything he possibly could have. Yet he gets down graded for playing on a really strong team. I do agree you certainly have to take his teammates into account, but you also have to give him some credit for doing what he did. It was a special season.
If this is fact then why are all the recent Bama QBs mediocre to bad NFL players? Because they are no longer surrounded by the best players in the country that the others schools lack.

The Tide doesnt need a great QB to win.

I want a QB who makes those around him better not the opposite.

I wonder if he's doing Belichick's bidding.

Hey Charlie, go tell everyone we should draft Jones. Then we can assure that he'll go earlier than us, letting _______ fall to us.

This Alabama Tide QB nonsense happens every draft. Wannabe GMs and Mock Drafters will have you believing Jones is cant miss. Just wait until draft day. They will build Jones up like he is the 2nd coming of Johnny Unitas and Joe Willie. Calling his shots lounging out at the pool.

At one time, Bama had 3 QBs on the roster that were Heisman candidates all at the same TIME. Alabama once had three Heisman quarterback candidates on its roster at same time

HAHA ponder on that one. Oh no, the surrounding talent has nothing to do with it. Keep drinking the crimson Kool-Aid.

IF this shows up in the Globe, we'll know the JOnes pick was the right one:

"In a draft where the Patriots could have had a real impact wide receiver in Alabama's DeVonta Smith or a top defender in South Carolina CB Jaycee Horn, they instead went for QB Mac Jones who is not fast and was kept from starting for most of his tenure."

(names taken at random from a couple mock drafts)

I feel like discounting him because his team was talented is kind of a cop out.

Now, you won't know how the kid did under pressure. But you can still evaluate how did he make his reads and was he accurate with the ball. Those are probably the two most important things.

I honestly don't care about who is projected to go where at this point because every year we find out alot of those draft guys were wrong. Derek carr, russell wilson and Jimmy G were all second rounders. Kirk cousins and dak prescott were 4th rounders. And there have been many busts in the first round from "got to have first round talents"

So this idea that we hear every year of "you only can draft a QB in the top 10" is kind of flawed
Wilson was actually a 3rd rounder, but in general it is difficult to foresee how a QB will translate to the NFL (its still day and night between college and NFL)

the one is driven to succeed and has a lot what it takes and others are hit two times the wrong way and they lose not only confidence but everything, you can see their soul leaving their body out there :D

The Mac Jones stat of throwing in tight windows is concerning.

On Jones and the talent around him, he had Smith this year at WR and Waddle for half the season. Harris at RB.

Tua had Jeudy, Ruggs, Smith and Waddle last year. And that didn't stop him from going 5th (admittedly, he didn't look nearly as good as Burrow and Herbert). Same RB (although Harris improved), same OC. Both had strong OL.

Jones had huge windows to throw into. But his "weapons" were far less than what Tua had.

It is. On the other hand, Ja'Marr Chase is probably the best tight window WR out there so it's not surprising that Burrow's numbers are so good.

Weird. Maybe that was just in comparison to Burrow alone. This article says he was the most accurate on tight window throws this season-by a large margin..

And all of this success isn’t entirely because he has open throw after open throw. He's actually thrown into a tight window on 15.2% of his passes this season, a rate that is about four percentage points higher than Tagovailoa's last season and is nearly double that of Justin Fields (8.3%) this year. Oh, and Jones has also been the most accurate passer on tight-window throws this season — by a large margin.”

I still think getting a FA or current NFL QB is the best way to go. Outside of Lawrence, there is no other QB coming out that is a franchise changing QB IMO. So many options at #15 with WR, LB, DL, OL as big needs. I fell we can win with a game manager QB, a really good running game, and really good D. That is an old school approach but I think it our best way to go

I don’t think he will fall to us at 15, but he would be my third choice behind Lawrence and Wilson. It’s hard to tell just how good he is, though, because Alabama had an overwhelming talent advantage over almost every single team they played this year. The only team that matched up with them was Florida, and he picked our defense apart. The only reason we were in that game was because we could score with them. The best tape to probably watch of him would be the National Championship after Smith left the game. Granted, they were up big and a conservative approach was the way to go, but it will give you an idea of his decision making and ball placement when he doesn’t have guys running wide open.

If we want him, I don’t think we can stay at 15. There will probably have to be a trade up.

It is. On the other hand, Ja'Marr Chase is probably the best tight window WR out there so it's not surprising that Burrow's numbers are so good.
Good point. What were Burrows' tight window stats this year w/ Cinci.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back