PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Chargers Being Discussed as a Team to move to London

its a dumpster fire there

I worked in LA for a short time. Mind you it was in 2012 way before the relocations but I was surprised to hear people tell me there that not many in the area cared much about the NFL.

Taking them out of San Diego seems to have been a disaster. These missteps could potentially see them on the verge of collapsing given the lack of support in LA, along with the fact I would think no free agents are going to willingly want to move to London...or at least it would seem unlikely. The other question - and maybe those across the pond could shed some light on this - is I don't know salary-wise how taking a deal there would hurt the player vs playing in the states taxes-wise.

But this news could be bad. At least in LA, you're in a stadium everyone at least wants to go to and have a shot at possibly getting back into it and building a fan base. But moving to Europe? I just can't see that working out since it probably wouldn't be competitive unless they're able to figure out a way to make it attractive enough to attract players. Otherwise, they'll be forced to give every free agent a deal they can't refuse to get them.

They'd be better off to move to St. Louis since that city at least cared about football, or another market here in the U.S. But for now, they appear to be a team in limbo who I'm sure, will be in even worse shape when the players/staff hear about this.

Taxes should not be an issue. Highest US Federal Tax rate is 37%. UK highest Tax rate is 45%. UK has a double taxation treaty with US. I am sure UK authorities will cut a deal to match the highest US Federal Tax rate or 45% for NFL teams and employees. So they would set the tax rate at 37% currently and the players will pay 37% in UK and 0% taxes in US because of double taxation treaty. That would effectively mean comparable to 0% state taxes.

Reactions: Ian
Note:

Gisele is in tight with London Fog

and

Brady loves to wear London Fog’s wide flair collared trench coat indoors at post game pressers

Do I need to spell out what is happening here
London Fog? Nothing less than Burberry for TB.

I'm not sure there's a team involved in more f'd up, controversial games over the last 10-15 years then the Chargers. Every week their losing on a botched snap, fumble on 1 or crazy comebacks. It's always something. They'll look like **** then curb stomp GB as if their world beaters. Their fans certainly don't deserve this though. No base does tbh.

My Charger fan friends love these rumors. Man, 50% of San Diego openly roots for Charger losses to spite the Spanos...the other 50% is nostalgic...messy city...I feel for them....

I am from the UK and I think this is a totally stupid idea......if you all dont mind me saying the clue is in the name of the game as it is called here...American football....why would I want to go on a regular basis to London , when I could visit several cities in the US......its all about money
I am baffled by the logic deployed in your response
but then again
I was baffled by the grand display of hospital beds in the London Summer Olympics opening ceremony

I can see it now...NE Patriots vs London Redcoats :p

Chargers to London
Jets to Tottenham
Jaguars to Paris
Bengals to Dublin

Give them their own division where they play each other the first 4 and last 4 games of the season

Middle 8 games then require travel, but bye weeks can be used in many cases to lessen travel woes.
The could use their former us home as their base of operations fir the 8 weeks in the middle.
But what happens if one makes the playoffs and gets a home game?

Not a fan of a London team esp in our division.

I dont get why they dont target St Louis. That is a pretty good sports town for baseball and hockey but I guess over time 2 franchises have left (Cards and Rams) I just dont get how they cant make it work. The city really seemed to embrace the Rams and they had some pretty good seasons with greatest show on turf. Just seems like an obvious move to me or try and make it work in San Diego but Iguess they exhausted all the options there already..

If you saw the last game in London nearly every team was represented by a show of shirts......and no I dont know which team had the most. Why would the crowd suddenly start wearing one team's colours, I dont see it happening overnight , the appeal and the crowd numbers relate to all NFL teams and a good day sport for everyone.......not a hard core of local team support

They might actually have a home game

Spanos just made the decision so no need to rush out for a London season ticket,......lol.....obviously did the sums and not enough money

John Madden would veto this decision.

Are you suggest that 5-10 years is short term

I suspect that this is when a move might take place.

So I’d imagine the NFL would re-align the AFC to accommodate this. It’s a brutally terrible idea but it’s become clear that the NFL owners are just looking to maximize their short-term profits over a long-term goal for the league.

actually, this is an easy fix

It will lead to some sort of realignment such as...

London team - AFC East

Dolphins-AFC South

Texans- AFC West

Are you suggest that 5-10 years is short term

I suspect that this is when a move might take place.
I’m saying that the owners are making decisions and moves that indicate that they believe a decline is happening in the sport in the long-term. My guess is that it’s aimed at CTE and parents actively steering their children away from football. But that’s just a guess. Of course, a dollar today is worth more than a dollar tomorrow, but they’ve acting in ways that communicate that they expect losses in the long-term future.

I suspect that NFL ownership wants to have this decided in the next contract. The players need to be on board. Since it is all about money, the owners should be able to demonstrate that this plan will increase revenue.

There have been three choices to expend the league: Toronto, Mexico City and London. London seems to be the favorite.

I guess that Toronto really doesn't increase the fan base much. In any case, Toronto isn't a huge issue. A team moving to Toronto wouldn't cause much disruption.

It may be better to locate two teams in Europe, probably both in the UK. There are other teams that might want to move. Tampa Bay comes to mind.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ian
I doubt it would happen, but it would be a terrible move for the NFL and the Chargers. Nobody will want to play there.

fair enough

I suspect that the owners, as business folk, are always looking to maximize profits in the short run, the middle run, and the long run. Expanding the fan base seems a reasonable avenue to pursue.

I’m saying that the owners are making decisions and moves that indicate that they believe a decline is happening in the sport in the long-term. My guess is that it’s aimed at CTE and parents actively steering their children away from football. But that’s just a guess. Of course, a dollar today is worth more than a dollar tomorrow, but they’ve acting in ways that communicate that they expect losses in the long-term future.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back