PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Chad Jackson: unrealistic expectations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
BradyManny2344 said:
How many hamstring injuries have you had recently? Have you noticed that all of the people casting dispersions upon Chad Jackson have never done any sort of atheletics in their lives.

He is INJURED. Get over it.

He's had ample time to recover from it. The injury happened in June. Besides, apparently that's not what kept him off the field Sunday.

He's SOFT. Get over it.

jaychamp said:
Ummm, deal with what? I was questioning the validity of those stats, nothing more and nothing less. And it wasn't intentionally misleading *******, and you have no right or basis to assume so. Have you EVER seen me posting and agreeing with people about Chad being the next Rice or putting up a 1000 yard season his rookie year? No...and I know you're enough of a forum whore that would have noticed. I'm not even in the same hemisphere as those people, so go **** yourself.
Your point was if Jackson fails to produce big numbers in his rookie year with Brady at QB and sub-par competition at wideout he is underperforming and a disappointment. My point is it takes even elite wideouts time to mature to their potential.

Last edited:
PonyExpress said:
In honor of the Chad Jackson hysteria: Guess which active probowl-caliber wide receivers had the following statistics their rookie seasons:

1. 12 games/28 catches/329 yards/1 TD

2. 16 games/15 catches/246 yards/0 TD

3. 15 games/23 catches/319 yards/ 1 TD

4. 15 games/10 catches/154 yards/0 TD

5. 11 games/23 catches/273 yards/0 TD

6. 13 games/27 catches/345 yards/0 TD

7. 16 games/35 catches/520 yards/4 TD

8. 16 games/20 catches/279 yards/2 TD

9. 7 games/1 catch/12 yards/0 TD

10. 10 games/ 2 catches/ 30 yards/0 TD

11. 16 games/ 6 catches/ 152 yards/ 1 TD

12. 16 games/ 14 catches/186 yards/ 0 TD

ANSWERS:
1. Chad Johnson, 2nd round
2. Hines Ward, 3rd rd
3. Javon Walker, 1st rd
4. Steve Smith, 3rd rd
5. P. Burress, 1st rd
6. R. Wayne, 1st rd
7. T. Owens, 3rd rd
8. E. Moulds, 1st rd
9. A. Toomer, 2nd rd
10. J. Horn, 5th rd
11. R. Smith, UFA
12. D. Mason, 4th rd

How long did it take them to get on the field...

Pony can we just forget everything and start from scratch? I've had a bad day and I can't keep up with the editing.

I should have researched better, and didn't mean to mislead.

Actually I am a complete a-hole and a forum w h o r e, you had that right, so I guess you have good judgement after all...;)

PonyExpress said:
Actually I am a complete a-hole and a forum w h o r e, you had that right, so I guess you have good judgement after all...;)
Forum whore wasn't actually meant as an insult. ;) It's just easier to say than "since you hang out here and post alot". Sorry about the other stuff.

I know if this guy is anything short of Jerry Rice he'll be a bust in my eyes.;)

PonyExpress said:
In honor of the Chad Jackson hysteria: Guess which active probowl-caliber wide receivers had the following statistics their rookie seasons:

ANSWERS:
2. Hines Ward, 3rd rd
3. Javon Walker, 1st rd
4. Steve Smith, 3rd rd
5. P. Burress, 1st rd
6. R. Wayne, 1st rd
7. T. Owens, 3rd rd
8. E. Moulds, 1st rd
9. A. Toomer, 2nd rd
10. J. Horn, 5th rd
11. R. Smith, UFA
12. D. Mason, 4th rd

Impressive research........Sounds good but it took those guys more then just a few seasons to break out except for maybe Steve Smith.

Yeah, this is good news for Chad Jackson but bad news for the Pats. With the WR group the way it is they could use a significant contribution from Jackson NOW, which doesn't look like it's going to happen. The fact that he could be great in the future is good news, but how does that help the team this season?

A lot of Green Bay fans though Walker would start as a rookie.

He was below average until he had eye surgery, and then he was a changed man.

Doesn't anyone here ever remember me when I used to play for your team????

I had a pretty good rookie year... why doesn't anyone remember this?

Why should we expect more out of Jackson than any of these? Exactly ONE of these players had more than 350 yards in his rookie year. There of course are players who have breakout rookie seasons, but even that doesn't make the player a superstar. As someone just posted, Glenn had a great rookie year.

Is it unreasonable to EXPECT a rookie (the best in a really lousy wide receiver class) to be one of the starting WR's in Game 4 or 5? Is it unreasonable to expect a significant contribution from a rookie who had a hamstring injury in June? I think the answer to both these questions is a resounding "Yes". We are being unreasonable. It is NOT unreasonable to HOPE that Jackson will be a significant contributer for the playoff run and in the playoffs. It is NOT unreasonable to expect him be at least a #3 by the start of NEXT season.

Gabriel is another story. I think that he will be starting after the break. He already is a major contributor. When we win the SUper Bowl this year, we will look back on Gabriel and Maroney as the two key additions that made it happen.

PonyExpress said:

ANSWERS:
2. Hines Ward, 3rd rd
3. Javon Walker, 1st rd
4. Steve Smith, 3rd rd
5. P. Burress, 1st rd
6. R. Wayne, 1st rd
7. T. Owens, 3rd rd
8. E. Moulds, 1st rd
9. A. Toomer, 2nd rd
10. J. Horn, 5th rd
11. R. Smith, UFA
12. D. Mason, 4th rd

mgteich said:
Why should we expect more out of Jackson than any of these? Exactly ONE of these players had more than 350 yards in his rookie year. There of course are players who have breakout rookie seasons, but even that doesn't make the player a superstar. As someone just posted, Glenn had a great rookie year.

Is it unreasonable to EXPECT a rookie (the best in a really lousy wide receiver class) to be one of the starting WR's in Game 4 or 5? Is it unreasonable to expect a significant contribution from a rookie who had a hamstring injury in June? I think the answer to both these questions is a resounding "Yes". We are being unreasonable. It is NOT unreasonable to HOPE that Jackson will be a significant contributer for the playoff run and in the playoffs. It is NOT unreasonable to expect him be at least a #3 by the start of NEXT season.

Gabriel is another story. I think that he will be starting after the break. He already is a major contributor. When we win the SUper Bowl this year, we will look back on Gabriel and Maroney as the two key additions that made it happen.

I havent posted in awhile, due to the madness of this board. But, WOW! This is a great thread. Thx, guys. As far as CJ goes, my expectations were about 3 catches a game, and then coming on strong as a secret weapon towards the end of the season. So, for me, thats still possible.
In regards to rookie WR's, it usually takes even the greatest, 3-4 yrs. to reach their full potential. I honestly dont think the receivers are as big of a problem. In watching the games, Brady has been off a little bit, and it seems like the pats off. playcalling has kind of lost their identity. We need to get back to the dink and dunk west coast offense and fight our way down the field. Those routes arent hard for this group of receivers to run. Brady has had all offseason to get comfortable with Caldwell, Maroney, and the other rooks. He was already comfortable with Graham, Watson, Brown and all the other regulars on this field. The only two players that he should be having issues with is Gabriel and Jackson. And, neither has really been on the field. So, I agree and dont understand why anyone feels the need to knock on our receiving core. I am not going to hit the panic button until about week 9. If things dont settle down by then, I would say we are in trouble.
Great posts by everyone involved. And pony, just want to let you know that you are my favorite forum whore;)

Nice work,PoneyE.I did not know that.

Terry Glenn is a cowgirl said:
Doesn't anyone here ever remember me when I used to play for your team????

I had a pretty good rookie year... why doesn't anyone remember this?

The world has moved on since those days. The folken have forgotten.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back