PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Celtics playoff run: drive for #18

It’s a quick turnaround too. @Kontradiction you out there? Would be interested to hear view of the upcoming series from a Heat fan

It's going to be a tough series. Like you point out, quick turnaround and long trip to face a rested strong opponent. It'll be a tall order to get one of two down there.

Proud of this team. Theyre unselfish, tough, play great D. The turnaround from January is one of the most amazing things Ive seen in any sport. Theyre fun to watch. Btw what a great series w. the Bucks. The Series intensity reminded me of the great Bird teams. The evolution of Tatum into a complete all-around player great to watch.

Not a Celtics fan, but it would be good for the NBA if they made it back to the finals.

Warriors - Celtics would be a good matchup for TV ratings. On the other hand, Bucks vs a former champ Warriors would be good as well.
Tatum vs Luka is also a very good storyline. They are regarded as the two best young superstars and future of the league. They’ve played several times and all were great games, Luka got the better of us for the most part. Would love to see a best of seven against them.

I'm a total fair weather fan, like to listen to various podcasts to keep track of what is going on but don't have the patience to watch the games nor the subscription to watch most games either. Was glad the game showed up on over-the-air TV yesterday for free. Was nice to watch a bit of NBA bball live.

That being said, I love the great energy this team has given to the city and to the region. Hope they can get some rest and be ready for the challenges of the next round.

I found this info at The Ringer, pretty amazing how far the Celtics have come since January.

Postseason Odds​

TeamMake FinalsWin Title
Celtics65%44%
Heat35%21%
Mavericks54%19%
Warriors46%15%

I found this info at The Ringer, pretty amazing how far the Celtics have come since January.

Postseason Odds​

TeamMake FinalsWin Title
Celtics65% (42%)44% (18%)
Heat35% (58%21% (28%)
Mavericks54% (43%)19% (21%)
Warriors46% (57%)15% (33%)
For comparison sake, I went to PlayoffStatus.com and put their percentages in red. They obviously don't think much of Celtics having them the worst of the final four.

For comparison sake, I went to PlayoffStatus.com and put their percentages in red. They obviously don't think much of Celtics having them the worst of the final four.
538 has the Celtics 70% to make the finals and 70% to win the championship. They have a Cs-Mavs final.

538 has the Celtics 70% to make the finals and 70% to win the championship. They have a Cs-Mavs final.
That one I like.....The Heat didn't real face a challenge in the 76ers while the Celtics were battle tested vs the defending champs... Steal one in South Beach and come back even and I will be a happy camper...

All 6 CBS NBA writers picked the Celtics while 5 of 6 chose the Warriors.

Like I said, the key for the Celtics was Grant Williams going off. Nailed it

I don't get all the love for Williams' game 7. He had a nice day, but still below 40% on 3's, which normally is a good result for a defense. He just shot a lot because they left him wide open. He was considered by the Bucks to be a very low priority to guard. He did have a couple of nice hustle plays inside.

I'm not down on the guy. I just don't think 7 for 18 is that big a deal, other than the fact that he'd played so poorly in the two games prior. Love if he's come back to life. But "Grant Curry"? Please.

I don't get all the love for Williams' game 7. He had a nice day, but still below 40% on 3's, which normally is a good result for a defense. He just shot a lot because they left him wide open. He was considered by the Bucks to be a very low priority to guard. He did have a couple of nice hustle plays inside.

I'm not down on the guy. I just don't think 7 for 18 is that big a deal, other than the fact that he'd played so poorly in the two games prior. Love if he's come back to life. But "Grant Curry"? Please.

Agreed. 9 for 18 would have been good, and since he was left wide open on almost all of the threes, I am not sure why he didn't go 9 for 18.

39% from 3 is excellent, and he kept taking the shots because they left him open. They left him open because they were terrified of Tatum. And the reason he's getting the love is because he DID shoot 39% from 3 in game 7 of the series when it was on him to do it.

Postseason Odds​

TeamMake FinalsWin Title
Celtics65%44%
Heat35%21%
Mavericks54%19%
Warriors46%15%
I put some money on the Celtics when they were 16-1 to win the east

Of course now I’m thinking that bet was way too small

39% from 3 is excellent, and he kept taking the shots because they left him open. They left him open because they were terrified of Tatum. And the reason he's getting the love is because he DID shoot 39% from 3 in game 7 of the series when it was on him to do it.

The NBA league wide 3 point success rate last year was 36.7%. 39% is a little over average (+ 2.3%), not sure how that is excellent. Grant had a good game including hitting an average % of 3 pointers.

The NBA league wide 3 point success rate last year was 36.7%. 39% is a little over average (+ 2.3%), not sure how that is excellent. Grant had a good game including hitting an average % of 3 pointers.
It was a do or die game 7 when the pressure is on and some guys rise to the challenge ( Cornbread Maxwell's famous quote " climb on my back guys.") and some don't . Kudos to him..

3 point success % is evaluated in a ridiculously narrow range. Fans in college and the pro's are disparaging of anything below 38% and quite complimentary about anything above. It seems binary as if excellence and failure are only 2% points apart. The point differential, and team success rate, just doesn't speak to that.

Grant is what he is. A really good 3&D bench player. He is probably surpassed any expectations I had of him. People act like he should be doing more consistently on both ends but he is a role player, at least for now. He’s good to go off at home but shouldn’t exactly be counted on in most situations on the offensive end. I do expect strong defensive performances from him on a regular basis.

Grant is what he is. A really good 3&D bench player. He is probably surpassed any expectations I had of him. People act like he should be doing more consistently on both ends but he is a role player, at least for now. He’s good to go off at home but shouldn’t exactly be counted on in most situations on the offensive end. I do expect strong defensive performances from him on a regular basis.

Agreed. I hope his 3 point shooting becomes more consistent as he will continue to get a lot of open looks playing the 4 and 5. Hitting 50% from the corner with wide open looks is not unrealistic.

Celts in 6 or 7

If RW III or Big Al can play even with Adebayo and keep him off the offensive boards the series is over sooner.

Tatum- Butler
Smart- Herro
Brown- Oladipo

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey