PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Celtics 2021

All that draft capital spent on undersized wing players who Trader Danny has too often said he can't have enough of..... and tweener JAGs

Result: A woefully undersized roster with zero paint presence and limited rebounding abilities forcing The Brad to deploy the Globetrotter weave for 22 seconds and then launch 25 footers by the likes of Marcus The Sniper Smart.....or The Brad's plan B: Tatum isolation.

Danny's East Coast version/pipedream of replicating the Golden State Warriors.
LMFAO

The Obituary soon to be written....
Green Teamers will be kind to Ainge when looking back on this era with the C's making the Eastern Finals a few times but less invested historians will likely conclude this Celtics era was an unmitigated waste of a golden opportunity.
And I suspect team builders of the future will look at Ainge's lust for stockpiling and keeping draft picks and conclude his strategy was both naive and poorly executed..... and should be avoided like the plague.
On the one hand, point taken on draft picks...they had Brooklyn's picks forever, hahaha isn't that great, and look at the franchises now. On the other hand, he was able to draft some excellent players. Not sure what the strategy should be if the league is now just wait to see where the superstars want to play. Talking about Brooklyn, you've got an oddball in Kyrie, a guy who sulked his way off his last team, and a guy who looked at the challenge of getting beaten by a great team and responded by joining that team the next year. But whatever, they're contenders this year and the Celtics aren't.

So I don't know. I've been supportive of Ainge, and kind of still am. The worst place to be in the NBA is the middle class purgatory. So he rode the big 3 as long as he could, then broke them up for the reboot. This year, injuries have obviously been an issue, but MAN seems like they underachieve and don't always play hard. I want to like Brad Stevens, but at a certain point don't you have to take a hard look at how he gets his teams to play? At least those that aren't in the "scrappy overachievers" category.

On the one hand, point taken on draft picks...they had Brooklyn's picks forever, hahaha isn't that great, and look at the franchises now. On the other hand, he was able to draft some excellent players. Not sure what the strategy should be if the league is now just wait to see where the superstars want to play. Talking about Brooklyn, you've got an oddball in Kyrie, a guy who sulked his way off his last team, and a guy who looked at the challenge of getting beaten by a great team and responded by joining that team the next year. But whatever, they're contenders this year and the Celtics aren't.

So I don't know. I've been supportive of Ainge, and kind of still am. The worst place to be in the NBA is the middle class purgatory. So he rode the big 3 as long as he could, then broke them up for the reboot. This year, injuries have obviously been an issue, but MAN seems like they underachieve and don't always play hard. I want to like Brad Stevens, but at a certain point don't you have to take a hard look at how he gets his teams to play? At least those that aren't in the "scrappy overachievers" category.
Ainge stubbornly refused to use any significant draft capital on C or PF.
Who needs size in the NBA, right?
And when he buys a tall guy, he positions him 23 feet out.
Year after year, Ainge's solution for 2/5's of his starting lineup has been journeymen, tweeners, projects, and a max contract guy better at 3's than competing inside.

Instead, wings, wings, wings and diminutive PGs.....aka.......small ball.

Surprisingly, Ainge defiantly dismisses the advantages created with a legit big or two on his roster despite the success his own 2008 creation had with Garnett.

Instead.....Baines, Kanter, Zizic, Thompson, Time Lord, 13 pt/7 rebound Al Horford...............tweeners Semi, Williams, and every other underwhelming tweener JAG project Ainge could get on the cheap.

His formula is defective and his execution has been a fail.
Only Golden State reached the summit with small ball and it required 2 all-century shooters....and even then, GS quickly bolstered their roster with a legit big to continue their run

Not Danny....
6'4" to 6'6" finesse jump shooters is his sweet spot
Hmmmm.....it's almost as if he builds his rosters in his own image

Last edited:
All that draft capital spent on undersized wing players who Trader Danny has too often said he can't have enough of..... and tweener JAGs

Result: A woefully undersized roster with zero paint presence and limited rebounding abilities forcing The Brad to deploy the Globetrotter weave for 22 seconds and then launch 25 footers by the likes of Marcus The Sniper Smart.....or The Brad's plan B: Tatum isolation.

Danny's East Coast version/pipedream of replicating the Golden State Warriors.
LMFAO

The Obituary soon to be written....
Green Teamers will be kind to Ainge when looking back on this era with the C's making the Eastern Finals a few times but less invested historians will likely conclude this Celtics era was an unmitigated waste of a golden opportunity.
And I suspect team builders of the future will look at Ainge's lust for stockpiling and keeping draft picks and conclude his strategy was both naive and poorly executed..... and should be avoided like the plague.

Bingo...

Year after year, Ainge's solution for 2/5's of his starting lineup has been journeymen, tweeners, projects, and a max contract guy better at 3's than competing inside.

Surprisingly, Ainge defiantly dismisses the advantages created with a legit big or two on his roster despite the success his own 2008 creation had with Garnett.

Instead.....Baines, Kanter, Zizic, Thompson, Time Lord, 13 pt/7 rebound Al Horford...............tweeners Semi, Williams, and every other underwhelming tweener JAG project Ainge could get on the cheap.

Only Golden State reached the summit with small ball and it required 2 all-century shooters....and even then, GS quickly bolstered their roster with a legit big to continue their run

Not Danny....
Almost as if he builds his rosters in his own image

...and Bingo.

#FireDanny

Not Danny....
Almost as if he builds his rosters in his own image
Trader Dan has had his chance, with all the first rnd picks hes had one would think he could have brought more than one championship. Every year its a guard or a 6'7-6'8'' wing, whatever hes trying to do ain't working. Time to get another GM. And the injuries, who's the trainer? every time i hear about a game half the team is out do to injury.

is it over yet? the play in games are confusing so unless i am totally wrong, we are now playing for the 7th or 8th seed? There is a possibility we could be out of the playoffs all together?

*EDIT* Bleacher Report had a good breakdown on what is ahead

Last edited:
unfortunately the Celtics need Jason Tatum to perform like he did again the Wiz to have any chance in the Brooklyn series. This will be his chance to build his legacy by putting the team on his back and winning. If not, there will still be questions about him

With Durant, Harden and Kyrie all out on the court it would require a super human effort from Tatum, some excellent games from Kemba strong contributions from guys like Fournier, Smart, Thompson.

Tatum can go off for 40 every game but that wouldn’t be enough. I’m just hoping to see us take them to 6. I’d be somewhat satisfied to see us put up a good fight w/o Jaylen.

I really hope these are the last games left of Marcus smarts career as a celtic.

Touché, Milwaukee.

Unwatchable 1st quarter for the Celtics. I dont even have any words for this garbage any longer. Nobody will convince me that Tatum is any good. Sorry, I just dont see it right now. He has some moments but just not at all consistent and doesn't have that will to carry a team.

Maybe not a good idea to get rid of Smart since he's the only one who bothered to show up tonight. Tatum... woof

Unwatchable 1st quarter for the Celtics. I dont even have any words for this garbage any longer. Nobody will convince me that Tatum is any good. Sorry, I just dont see it right now. He has some moments but just not at all consistent and doesn't have that will to carry a team.
There have been many Celtics teams of the past with less talent. And worse records. But this team is the softest. Most apathetic bunch of under achievers in the history of the Celtics. Tatum is a dog. All he cares about Is getting his points. And personnel goals. He couldn't care less about winning or playing defense. As long as his video game ratings are in the 90s he's good.

Last edited:
is it me or does tatum not give a crap?
I think he’s very much a player that shines when things are going well and disappears when things aren’t and he can’t rally. I’ll never forget the EVF game 7 where he just sat back and watched Brown and Rozier miss 3 attempt after 3 attempt as the game slipped away when he could have just been the general.

He’s talented but until he learns to take control of a game he won’t be bringing in titles

Maybe not a good idea to get rid of Smart since he's the only one who bothered to show up tonight. Tatum... woof
for all the frustrating play we have seen from Smart (on offense), he certainly gives max effort and plays defense. He just shouldn't be allowed to shoot outside 10 ft

what stood out to me last night (game 2) was we have no clue or purpose on offense. Standing around while someone dribbles and then frantically throws up contested 3s. Then i look at Brooklyn, which has 3 of the most talented players in the league, passing the ball and setting up their guys for open looks. they seem to be setting their egos aside and just winning basketball games. its like night and day...we have a very immature team

we should hire Garnett as bench coach just to ad some intensity. He wouldn't stand for this at all and why Brad and his staff let it continue is beyond me. Maybe they are getting in the players faces, but they are being tuned out

Tatum just isn’t the guy. He’s a good number 2, but Boston needs a superstar in the vein of Durant or Lillard to pair with Tatum. At least Tatum is out there. Our supposed future, Herro, let the South Beach lifestyle get to his head once they left the bubble.

what stood out to me last night (game 2) was we have no clue or purpose on offense. Standing around while someone dribbles and then frantically throws up contested 3s. Then i look at Brooklyn, which has 3 of the most talented players in the league, passing the ball and setting up their guys for open looks. they seem to be setting their egos aside and just winning basketball games. its like night and day...we have a very immature team

we should hire Garnett as bench coach just to ad some intensity. He wouldn't stand for this at all and why Brad and his staff let it continue is beyond me. Maybe they are getting in the players faces, but they are being tuned out

it’s known as iso ball

Tatum just isn’t the guy. He’s a good number 2, but Boston needs a superstar in the vein of Durant or Lillard to pair with Tatum. At least Tatum is out there. Our supposed future, Herro, let the South Beach lifestyle get to his head once they left the bubble.

to be fair, what were the top guys in any of the top teams doing when they were 22….it drives me crazy how he takes time off, but nobody was putting putting up 40/50/60 point games at that age…..he’s a #1…..if he can lead by example

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back