PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cavs trade away Thomas.

Lot of if’s here and it’s too many to be possible - but IF the Lakers cut him for cap and/or an expiring contract cut the Celts might be the only team with cap space for a one year rental. this high priced. It’s crazy but if he does get cut and you’re the Celts wtf not on both sides (other than ego)?
For the same reason CLE was willing to let him go: he's not the same IT as last year.
208_thomas_last_2_years_traditional.png

He's a small guy who now can't jump and still doesn't defend worth a damn. Bringing him to BOS could open up some old emotional wounds and might create expectations for next season. Pass.
If Jeremy Lin didn’t get hurt (yeah I know if) no way that Nets pick works out for Cleveland. It still might not.
Tankathon | 2018 NBA Draft Order & Lottery Simulator has them at #7 with two more wins than 1-6, then comes the lottery. As you say, it still may not work out. Given this, it's odd to me how untouchable the BKN pick was at the trade deadline. CLE has so much faith that the BKN pick will be high and will bring in a superstar, when in reality it's a crap shoot.
Fans always think there is a better deal than the one actually made.
Yep, same is true for some self-loathing Pats fans, sigh.

Last edited:
Except it isn't fantasy basketball. Ainge can only do trades that other teams cooperate with. Given that it is in his best interest to get the most he can, and he and Celtics brass are the only ones who know what that was, the only reasonable conclusion was he got the best deal available. If you are disappointed about what that is, that's fine, but to suggest something different should have happened is a leap without data.

Exactly.

01 ~ It's perfectly reasonable to be surprised or disappointed that Ainge didn't get more to move down from #1 to #3, because there've been some years when the talent differential or drop off between #1 and #3 has been enormous.

02 ~ But oftentimes ~ just like in FootBall ~ the difference between who's available at #1 and #3 is only marginal ~ if even that. And that's what the case was, this year.

03 ~ We're lucky, in fact, that Phily liked one guy enough to surrender a Pick that could be Top 5 in next Year's meaty draft to make sure they got'm. :eek:

04 ~ I understand the objection. In 2004, the Giants coveted Eli Manning so badly that, in order to move up to #1 (after the fact) from #4, they gave up additional 1st, 3rd, and 5th Rounders. And in 2016, the Eagles, to move up from #8 to #2, surrendered an additional 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th Rounder for Wentz and a 5th Rounder.

05 ~ But it's all about Relative Value. In FootBall Drafts, some'f us enjoy using that which I cleverly refer to as "Book Value" ~ the approximate Value of each pick, based on composite historical data ~ as a point of reference ~ a starting point in evaluating trades...But it'd be pretty foolish to imagine that Values are static. o_O

Each Draft is different.

06 ~ I'm actually kind'f amazed that Ainge got as much as he did. :eek:

Last edited:
B
Lot of if’s here and it’s too many to be possible - but IF the Lakers cut him for cap and/or an expiring contract cut the Celts might be the only team with cap space for a one year rental. this high priced. It’s crazy but if he does get cut and you’re the Celts wtf not on both sides (other than ego)?
Because he's the very worst defensive player in the league.

Except it isn't fantasy basketball. Ainge can only do trades that other teams cooperate with. Given that it is in his best interest to get the most he can, and he and Celtics brass are the only ones who know what that was, the only reasonable conclusion was he got the best deal available. If you are disappointed about what that is, that's fine, but to suggest something different should have happened is a leap without data.

Fantasy basketball has nothing to do with it, and your claim of "the only reasonable conclusion" is nonsensical, particularly given how early he made the trade.

And, as far as a leap without data, let's revisit your post:

"the only reasonable conclusion was he got the best deal available".

Now that's a leap without data.

Particularly since the trade HAD to be with Philly and no one else. That kind of limits your bargaining position. Truthfully, Philly was stupid to do it given that it was pretty clear the Cs didn't want Fultz.
Plus, the protection on next year's pick is top one only so not likely.

Particularly since the trade HAD to be with Philly and no one else. That kind of limits your bargaining position. Truthfully, Philly was stupid to do it given that it was pretty clear the Cs didn't want Fultz.
Plus, the protection on next year's pick is top one only so not likely.
I liked the trade ... hopeful it will be Lakers 2-5 pick but more likely the Kings pick in 2019.
I think Ainge liked Ball the best in terms of talent but that situation would be ugly and redundant with Krie.
With our max salaries kind of taken the staggered decent 1st round picks should work out well.
We're more than likely losing Smart and the way Rozier is playing we will end up losing him also.
So we will need a few top picks to replace Rozier and All-Star Al.
I love Rozier - would be nice seeing him be a Celtic for life.

Fantasy basketball has nothing to do with it, and your claim of "the only reasonable conclusion" is nonsensical, particularly given how early he made the trade.

And, as far as a leap without data, let's revisit your post:

"the only reasonable conclusion was he got the best deal available".

Now that's a leap without data.

Nope. I'm saying that none of us can have data, so we have to go with what is most likely, which is that the people who do have data, and in whose interest it is to be successful, made a reasonable judgment.

Nope. I'm saying that none of us can have data, so we have to go with what is most likely, which is that the people who do have data, and in whose interest it is to be successful, made a reasonable judgment.

Your argument, combined with this spin attempt on it, makes no sense.

Last edited:
When I heard IT criticize the Cavs coaching staff for poor in game adjustments, I figured he was on his way out.
I think he lacks emotional intelligence. His comments have appears to be self harming all the time. "Bring the brinks truck" is a perfect example.
After a loss against Phoenix with the Celtics: “We should have won this game. We should have won night [in Phoenix]. We can’t be experimenting in Game 63”.

The player's irrelevant to the trade chips moved. They traded the #1 overall pick for a lower (#3) pick in the draft. They didn't trade a player, or trade for a player. They should have gotten more than a heavily protected pick as the extra in the deal. If that extra pick doesn't fall #2-#5 this year, it doesn't vest until next season, and even that has a protection on it.
Can’t agree with this. The player is relevant. What do you mean by the player is irrelevant? If they stood pat at 1 they were taking Tatum. They got him anyway and got an 1 wherever it falls. Ainge was bulletproof the past year or so IMO. Other than maybe Morris who I’m not sold on.

Glad Ainge sat tight today at the trade deadline.
Possibility he can get Joe Johnson in a buyout later...
Joe Johnson's signing with Houston.

Meanwhile, our team FG% is still, and will continue to be, poo-poo.

Still glad that Danny sat tight?

Yes. Reported deals were not really deals. From both sides. Who would give a high 1 plus a contributer for Marcus Dumb? Who would give a Dumb away for a 2nd?

Yes why mortgage the future for a possible title this year that really is improbable.
Was Ainge supposed to mortgage the future to win an extra playoff game or series?
The team misses Hayward and there is no replacing him.

Yes why mortgage the future for a possible title this year that really is improbable.
Was Ainge supposed to mortgage the future to win an extra playoff game or series?
The team misses Hayward and there is no replacing him.
captain stone hates Danny Ainge. in his mind he cant do anything right and is never happy no matter what danny does.

captain stone hates Danny Ainge. in his mind he cant do anything right and is never happy no matter what danny does.

Grasshopper. When the bell of hate rings does not the bell of love also vibrate?

Grasshopper. When the bell of hate rings does not the bell of love also vibrate?
Imagine people screaming for your autograph when you come in and out of work? Not bad at all. Always a special day for these kids! Enjoy it and good luck to all the teams in the upcoming state tournaments!

Last edited:
LOLebron and the Cavs just choked away Game 1 to the Pacers. Is there a more overrated team than the Thunder? All that talent and they’re currently getting spanked by the Utah Jizz.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back