PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cassel is OUR QB and I'm behind him

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Matt Cassel: Reasons to be Optimistic

Look, I was all "cut that dead weight" two weeks ago regarding Cassel.
I had watched him every preseason and saw very little to feel confidant about, but the powers that be decided to keep him.

Matt Cassel did his job when it counted, he won the game, and until #16 begins to show otherwise, I support him for no other reason than Tom Brady.

Eight years ago, when Brady came in for an injured Bledsoe, he lost. I didnt give Brady a chance until I was proved wrong, obviously the scouting staff, and coaching staff knew what they were doing by moving this Brady kid up the depth chart and to the back up position, they proved me wrong, and have been doing so ever since.

I was wrong about Ben Coates, Bruce Armstrong, Lawer Milloy, Dion Branch
ect , and wrong almost every draft day.

Now with Cassel, and the win, I am wrong again, and until I see different, In Bill I trust: I believe

Last edited:
I hope and pray that Cassel puts up some real good numbers for two reasons. If Cassel lasts as the starter, and tosses 20+ TD's, to 15 or fewer interceptions, the Pats will likely make the playoffs, and the Patriots could then trade Matt C for a 1st, or 2nd round pick.

No, they can't, unless they re-sign him in mid-season or franchise him, and I just don't see either of those happening. He's an unrestricted free agent after the season is over.

Here are the pros and cons of staying with Cassel for the rest of the year.

Cons:
Obviously if he plays badly, which I expect he will in some stretches, we're going to be clamoring to get someone else in there, whether it's Simms or O'Connell. The upside of keeping him on a short leash is that the team still does, with a weak division and schedule, have the opportunity to make the playoffs. If he starts to struggle, you might want to take a look at one of the other guys with the hope that they can keep the Pats in the race. But you can't just throw O'Connell or Simms in and if they have a bad game, yank them. You'll have to give them a few starts to really get a sense for whether they can do a good job. In this case, you're either hoping that you can find the right balance for the playoff push, or finding the most competent backup for future years. But under this scenario, if he loses three games in a row (or even two), you have to yank him and give one of the other two guys a shot, so you're limiting his ability to gain experience.

Pros:
The pros of making a decision to stick with Cassel, and not wavering from that even if he loses a few games, are enough to -- in my opinion -- call the 2008 campaign his and stay with him even if we go 6-10 or 5-11 (god forbid). First, and most obviously, you're giving him game experience that's important if Brady ever goes down again. If we shuffle quarterbacks around and nobody really shines and they miss the playoffs anyway, it will have been a waste of an opportunity to get Matt a full year of game experience that could be important in the future. Second, there is a learning curve to starting in the NFL. If the team goes 3-4, or even 3-5 at the beginning of the season, it's not impossible that Matt could get his legs under him and end the season strong, getting a wild card berth. You have to allow that possibility and not overreact if he starts slow. Third ... hey, I will be the one to say it. I don't think we're going to the Super Bowl without Tom Brady. It's possible but unlikely. So, if Matt really struggles, I'd rather see a 5-11 season than an 8-8 non-playoff season because you're looking at a James Laurinitis or stud tackle in the draft.

This is all assuming Matt Cassell doesn't totally stink up the joint. If he does, you have to pull him for the simple fact that he will have proved himself incapable of being a backup, and we'll need to use the opportunity to get some experience for someone else who can fill that role. But if he's even marginally competent, I think you give him the reigns this year and see what happens. There are very few backups that could come in and take a team to the playoffs with a 1-0 record at the beginning of the season, so you can't expect too much or overreact in some desperate need to salvage the season before you contemplate how this year could affect the future of the team.

No, they can't, unless they re-sign him in mid-season or franchise him, and I just don't see either of those happening. He's an unrestricted free agent after the season is over.

If he does the job it's entirely possible they would try to extend him on some sort of option/roster bonus deal under which they'd have him reasonably under contract for 2009 just in case while signed to a highly tradeable contract.

Signed. Matt it is... Now let's look forward to the jets. Just like last season 1 game at a time. DO not look back do not look ahead.

Let's go Pats.

I don't see this happening but if he plays like an above average starter then they could Franchise and Trade him. Under that scenario he would get more money than the one year tender so he would play along in terms of not signing the one year deal.

However . . . right now I'm more concerned about him getting through the first half on the road in NY than Franchising him ;)

I think Cassell is the best option we have, he has the most experience in this offense, and that fact cannot be understated. So much of a teams offense is installed in the offseason workouts and training camp it's almost impossible to expect another QB to come in and execute it properly. I think that Cassell can be decent as our QB, he doesn't have to be Brady, he just has to play it safe and keep it close and make sure that we are in a position to win games, not go out and try to win games single-handedly. Cassell is also in a much better position than Brady was in 2001 after Bledsoe went down, the talent differential between those two teams is astronomical.

Also if you look at Brady's QB ratings in the years we won SB's they were in the 80's, so once again, I cannot stress enough that Cassell does not have to be perfect, just merely good enough and take advantage of the personnell surrounding him.

Admit it - you were wrong about Cassel

When will members of this board who repeatedly trashed Cassel man up and admit they were wrong?

When will stcjones or whatever his name is back off from the ridiculous (even at the time) assertion that Gutierrez will have a better NFL career than Cassel? When will Disco volare or whatever his name is shamefacedly remove that quote from his sig? Wasn't Sunday's game enough? Wasn't it a clue when BB said today that despite erroneous reports, he never called anyone or worked out anyone or gave anyone a physical?

I suspect BB will go after a third QB eventually, but as Cassel's BACKUP.

How long will the rest of you continue to insist that you have more and better information than BB and SP?

The Cassel Club filled up during hte preseason (with about 3 of us), but there is room on the waiting list. Get a good spot. Eat crow now. You know you will when we take the division!

Yeah, I'm a poor winner. I admit it. But I listened to so mcuh crap over the last three years about Cassel, I'm really going to enjoy his playing now. I'm sorry Brady had to get hurt, but we are in good hands, and Cassell will lead us to as good or better record than Brady did in Brady's two first year and second year.

GO CASSEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Look, we will no NOTHING about Cassel until he's down 3 points on the road and has 3 minutes left on the clock. Then we'll get a sense of who he is.

Yesterday, despite James Sanders' coverage meltdown, Cassell led a long scording drive in the 4th quarter. That's impressive. The Chiefs aren't very good, but they're still an NFL team. Let's see how he does next week.

Re: Admit it - you were wrong about Cassel

No.

12345678no

I generally agree with you but we do need to see him start a game, especially on the road, and do well before we get to crazy about Cassel.

I kind of trashed Cassel a couple of times. Here I am. Serve me up some crow.

Right now he is the only option and we will live and die with him.. Im being a realist I dont like the chances this week against the Jets to many circumstances. Its nothing against Casell.. He is in a unfair position.. He is going to be like Arron Rodgers this yr..

The Jets game is Farve home opener, they are pumped and jacked..

Casell will manage the team, and will do fine..

Cassel is MY quarterback. Tom who?

I have to admit I was 100% behind him in pre-season, but when I saw him throw out of the end zone on 3rd and 11. I became a full fledge member.

I'll be sure to tell Cassel not to drop the soap.

I never bagged on Cassel. I don't take much stock in the preseason period

Didn't you see the Cassel apology thread yesterday? A lot of us manned or womaned up already, myself included.

I agree on the back-up QB situation. The worst thing they could do to Cassel now is throw him in as the starter but make him look in the rearview mirror every day at practice. I thought they might be looking at QBs (although BB denied it at the press conference), but only as a #3 behind Cassell and possibly O'Connell.

Cassel's our guy and we need to get behind him fast. The Jets are up next; let's see what else he can do. He did a great job against KC given the circumstances.

I've always had a strange completely unfounded confidence in Cassel.

So I don't have to admit crap. :D

cassell played admirably yesterday but now that he KNOWS he has to be the starter this season , lets see how long and well he handles it.like a relief pitcher now becoming a starter.

for me frankly,his press conferences were a little awkward. he was gleeful somewhat about cherishing this victory yesterday which is being honest but didnt need to be said. thats just me

When you are the backup to the MVP, it's a step down to #2. Most of us would be comfortable with a simple step down. The problem is that the "step down" feels more like jumping off a cliff. The guy has not started a real game in what, 8 years? No one is comfortable with that scenario.

The Matt Cassell fan club will remain a small, close-knit bunch until he proves he belongs as an NFL starter. Not only hasn't he proven it on the pro level, he never proved it on the college level. In fairness, he never had the chance.

Up until now he's been a cheap insurance policy. Now it's time for the insurance policy to make a payment. Let's wait and see. My expectations are low.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe