PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Carson Wentz traded to the Colts

So they must think he's not salvageable. There were also stories that he didn't take coaching well. That can't help.

Because a 3rd and a 2nd isn't much. We traded a 2nd for the corpse of sanu
You can’t criticize trading a second for Sanu because Brady wanted him and then turn around and criticize the patriots for not getting Brady weapons.

So they must think he's not salvageable. There were also stories that he didn't take coaching well. That can't help.

Because a 3rd and a 2nd isn't much. We traded a 2nd for the corpse of sanu
It was his contract. Pats don't want to pay top dollar at the QB spot it seems.

You can’t criticize trading a second for Sanu because Brady wanted him and then turn around and criticize the patriots for not getting Brady weapons.

Oh definitely not saying that. At the time I was hopeful sanu would work out.

My parallel is If you value sanu as a 2nd. Then a 3rd and a future 2nd shouldn't be too high for wentz if you think he is salvageable.

It's pretty reasonable though if you think he's good. Goes $22million, $25million and $26million.

With no dead cap hits for the Colts. So really I'd he doesn't work out you lose a 2nd and a 3rd.

I just don't think patriots thought he was salvageable. Or wouldn't take the coaching.

We traded a 2nd for the corpse of sanu
That trade will be ignored around the league. Just because one team gets embarrassingly out negotiated to overpay a 2nd for Sanu, doesn't mean that's the going rate. It's insulting Bill traded Chandler Jones for a 2nd and then years later dishes out a 2nd for a declining #3 WR. These two examples are rare blunders when Bill trades out or trade for players and getting value in return.

But it isn’t. There is no value depreciation of having a player from 2021-2026 vs 2022-2027. The value is a season doesn’t have inflation.
There is plenty of value depreciation to a coach with an impatient fan base.

Of course they can - and will. How long have you been around here?

More likely they don't want to pay top dollar for a QB that hasn't shown anything yet. He's had one really good season, the same year someone else stepped in and took his team to the super bowl by the end. I think they're fine paying a QB money, but paying that QB, plus giving up picks, for a guy who hasn't even been to an NFCCG, and may have injury concerns? I don't see how you turn that into "They don't want to pay top dollar at the QB spot". They just didn't think that guy was worth it all.

i will never get the opportunity for a wentz/chicago maga country joke i guess

Feel like this move kind of "resets" the market on QBs... The Stafford trade was weird because of the fact that two firsts were exchanged but neither were firsts this year, and it included a dump of the awful Goff contract. So only one of those firsts is really for Stafford, in a sense, and it was a first next year. Therefore it was more like a 2nd this year for Stafford "straight-up". Now with the Wentz move being for less than that (though it is again a bad contract) it helps reset expectations a little bit for other QBs.

Regardless, two QB trades now will probably unclog the dam a bit more and start getting the wheels in motion for more QB trades. Watson and others - Darnold, Ryan, Garoppolo? Wilson?

I never, in a million years, thought I’d see a time value of money comp to draft pick/player.

Indy was really the most logical choice. It'll be interesting to see if Reich can help him return to his 2017 form. If he does - and yes it's a big if but stay with me here - then Indy vaults to the AFC's top tier with KC and Buffalo.

But it isn’t. There is no value depreciation of having a player from 2021-2026 vs 2022-2027. The value is a season doesn’t have inflation.

There is the "lost value" of not having a 1st round pick right now...getting a player in your system a year earlier.

Say, we could have Trey Lance right now to get the benefit of his "year 2 leap" in 2022 vs. say...Tyler Shough, QB, Oregon next year with BB not getting any younger....

That's the value there...

More likely they don't want to pay top dollar for a QB that hasn't shown anything yet. He's had one really good season, the same year someone else stepped in and took his team to the super bowl by the end. I think they're fine paying a QB money, but paying that QB, plus giving up picks, for a guy who hasn't even been to an NFCCG, and may have injury concerns? I don't see how you turn that into "They don't want to pay top dollar at the QB spot". They just didn't think that guy was worth it all.
I don’t think it’s the bad season this year that’s the issue because he has proven he can play and most teams are fine with getting a good young player back on track, but I think it’s the personality. Of course it’s only conjecture and who knows if it’s true, most of that crap isn’t, but if the patriots believe he has an entitled, immature, hard to coach attitude that would definitely turn them off.

I didn’t want Wentz but it does worry me that they don’t seem to really even bother making a real offer for QB’s that make $25 mill a year. Makes me nervous we will go bargain shopping and end up with Cam.

Hey at least the Eagles got their SB win finally, also a sweet statue of a perennial backup QB.

No it isn’t.
Money devalues due to inflation. Otherwise a dollar today and a dollar in a year would be the same thing.

A football franchise is not an inflationary object.
The need to have players this year is no greater or less than the need to have players next year

if I can pick a 1st round talent next year, in the long run my franchise is better off than it I pick a 2nd round talent this year.
I don’t get the 2nd rounder for any longer, it’s not like I get an extra year of use out of him.
And yes there are desperate teams. And if I want your second round pick there is no value to you in getting my second round pick next year, it’s just a wash. So the desperate trader has to give more than equal value. Which is why normally you see a 2nd and maybe a 4 happen. But if its pick for pick the only thing I have to offer you better than my second is my first.

That doesn’t mean the value of this years pick is one round higher than next years. It means bad traders overpay in the rare case it ever even happens.

This isn't economics. Franchises are run by humans. Teams go all in even though it doesn't make long-term sense. And also these trades for future picks happen a lot.

This isn't economics. Franchises are run by humans. Teams go all in even though it doesn't make long-term sense. And also these trades for future picks happen a lot.
My point IS that it doesn’t make sense because it’s just not correct. A 1st is a first, it isn’t worth less because it’s next year, that perception is flawed.
When is the last time a 2 was traded for a 1 next year?

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back