PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cap to go 140,150, 160

50-yard-line

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
Florio is saying the cap is going to scream upwards in the next three years.

Cap could hit $160 million in 2016 | ProFootballTalk

No one should be in a better position to judge this than Kraft. If this is the case, how do you change your strategy?

Tie up as many of your valuable players now for as long as possible?

Don't be afraid of a "Revis-like" deal? If the cap is 160 in 2016, Revis's contract isn't bad.

If you're Wilfork, do rumors like this make you harden your stance against restructuring?

I don't know, seems to me that rumors like this can cause all kinds of headache for owners, players, and agents...turning a known market into a complete crap shoot.

I suppose you are suggesting that the agents don't read the same rumors as you do. It will very difficult to lock in players to long-term contracts without reflecting the idea that the cap is going up. At least, some teams will do that, as they did in 2012 and 2013.

It seems to me that the market will be higher this year because of the greatly increased 2014 cap. The rumors of more years of significant increases will only tend to move the market even higher, at least for some.

I suppose you are suggesting that the agents don't read the same rumors as you do. It will very difficult to lock in players to long-term contracts without reflecting the idea that the cap is going up. At least, some teams will do that, as they did in 2012 and 2013.

Not suggesting any such thing. Makes sense to me that the OWNERS KNOW and the pundits (and so the players, agents and fans) speculate.

If it does go up 10m a year from now on, getting Revis AND Talib is doable.

If Wilfork and his camp use it as a reason not to restructure etc then he will probably be just outright cut, that $8m saving this year would be too tempting not to at his age coming off that injury.

The problem is last time a big jump in the cap was predicted...it never happened so it's more wait & see than go mad and splash the cash ala Snyder.

not really, Revis sees teh cap going up and so he sees his own value going up. Revis will hold out for 20 mil a year after this season.

I understand that conspiracy theories abound.

The top folks in the union KNOW a lot. They help make the decisions. In the past, it jhas been their decisions that have helped shaped the value of the cap. The cap is not dictated by the owners.

With regard to Kraft, I agree that he knows more than almost anyone with regard to the likely future of the cap. After all, he has more influence than anyone.

However, it is Kraft's analysis and use of the information that is key. IMHO, Kraft and the FO make better use of information than anyone in the league. Kraft also has a business plan much different than many of the owners. Many of us would prefer the ups and downs to the steady excellence.

Not suggesting any such thing. Makes sense to me that the OWNERS KNOW and the pundits (and so the players, agents and fans) speculate.

Doesn't matter much. Every NFL player would want a piece of that increase so Revis deals still won't make sense to many teams.

Get Revis and Talib. Do it.

You know you want to, BB. I can't imagine the things he could do on D with 2 elite CBs.

I understand that conspiracy theories abound.

The top folks in the union KNOW a lot. They help make the decisions. In the past, it jhas been their decisions that have helped shaped the value of the cap. The cap is not dictated by the owners.

With regard to Kraft, I agree that he knows more than almost anyone with regard to the likely future of the cap. After all, he has more influence than anyone.

However, it is Kraft's analysis and use of the information that is key. IMHO, Kraft and the FO make better use of information than anyone in the league. Kraft also has a business plan much different than many of the owners. Many of us would prefer the ups and downs to the steady excellence.

Exactly. The BB/Kraft plan is to build a team that can compete for a championship every single year, not load up make a run with a 2-3 year window. I don't know how anyone against that plan.

All this talk of Revis now makes me want Revis to play with a Flying Elvis on the side of his helmet. You jerks.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back