PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Can you imagine if we go 1-3 !!!$%!#

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you under the impression that clubs spend a lot of time matching the first team offense vs first team defense? Most of the team portion of practice is spent vs a scout team.

Not whatsoever. But they do try to mimic the upcoming opponent as close as possible in certain situations. The Patriots lack of athleticism does not allow those looks to be anything close to an accurate representation.

Yes I do, and the lesser the quality on the scout team, the lower quality look you get.

Notice how they had Crossen scrambling like Watson before game 1. The point was to give the defense a look that was comparable in terms of athleticism. If your entire defense possesses less athleticism than every team you face, how can the look even be slightly similar. The offense this year has seemed shell shocked by the defenses they're seeing. The Lions D is awful, and the Patriots did nothing for an entire game.

You don't seem to be aware how practice works. The team is practicing against looks. Nobody has to be an exact carbon copy of the opponent. This is about getting people on the same page schematically.

It doesn't matter what position Crossen plays when the coaching point of a drill is to learn how to properly contain a running QB and don't give him any channels to run.

The offense this year is not shell shocked by anything but is missing a chain mover that can take pressure of Gronk, needs to stop losing so many 1v1s that screw the run game consistently, Brady needs to be more accurate in those few instances when the WRs actually are open and Josh needs to open up the playbook with more up-tempo and screens once we don't have to fill CP as a token WR on snaps but actually have players that know what routes to run.

None of this has anything to do with practice. Most of it has to do with execution.

Not whatsoever. But they do try to mimic the upcoming opponent as close as possible in certain situations. The Patriots lack of athleticism does not allow those looks to be anything close to an accurate representation.

So how the **** were they prepared to face Wilson in SB49 or Julio Jones & co in SB51 if the defense has been garbage for years and was missing comparable players ?

It is because the athleticism is almost irrelevant in practice. It is about understanding the plays on a schematic level.

I agree, but you don't have to necessarily lay down. Playing young guys in different spots may result in some losses, but it may give you a better look at what you have moving forward. Valentine instead of Brown for example. Try Crossen at safety. Try Coleman for a few games. Things like that.

I'm not sure that anyone has the hubris to treat and entire season as the pre-season ... But then again we are taking about BB ...

7e2f4aa9109fb97f473981cb1ae4a5a6_w200.gif

Oh the horrors!

Regards,
Chris

You don't seem to be aware how practice works. The team is practicing against looks. Nobody has to be an exact carbon copy of the opponent. This is about getting people on the same page schematically.

It doesn't matter what position Crossen plays when the coaching point of a drill is to learn how to properly contain a running QB and don't give him any channels to run.

The offense this year is not shell shocked by anything but is missing a chain mover that can take pressure of Gronk, needs to stop losing so many 1v1s that screw the run game consistently, Brady needs to be more accurate in those few instances when the WRs actually are open and Josh needs to open up the playbook with more up-tempo and screens once we don't have to fill CP as a token WR on snaps but actually have players that know what routes to run.

None of this has anything to do with practice. Most of it has to do with execution.

You do realize they went up and down the field against the Eagles in the Superbowl with exact same players minus DA. Lewis and Burkhead were non-factors in the Superbowl and Cooks was knocked out in the 2nd quarter, so this offense is not far off in terms of personnel from the one that played in the Superbowl. Unless you're going to tell me this entire disparity is due to DA.

I agree, but you don't have to necessarily lay down. Playing young guys in different spots may result in some losses, but it may give you a better look at what you have moving forward. Valentine instead of Brown for example. Try Crossen at safety. Try Coleman for a few games. Things like that.

You are aware that the coaches see those players every day in practice, right ? They don't need to put anyone into actual games to "get a better look". They get those every damn day.

You do realize they went up and down the field against the Eagles in the Superbowl with exact same players minus DA. Lewis and Burkhead were non-factors in the Superbowl and Cooks was knocked out in the 2nd quarter, so this offense is not far off in terms of personnel from the one that played in the Superbowl. Unless you're going to tell me this entire disparity is due to DA.

EXECUTION. SB Brady would have hit Hogan on the first drive last Sunday on third down and would have hit Dorsett on third down on the second drive. The SB OL was run blocking substantially more effective and with fewer mistakes and lost 1v1s than the one last Sunday. The gameplan for WRs in the SB was considerably better than what was shown last Sunday.

And you know what ? All of this is not unexpected except the magnitude of incompetence on offense. You can't compare the finished product of the previous season with a unit that is still looking for its identity after W3 of a new season. This is not how it works.

You are aware that the coaches see those players every day in practice, right ? They don't need to put anyone into actual games to "get a better look". They get those every damn day.

Yet they're playing their $20 million combo of Hightower and McCourty. Those two guys should do the right thing and pull a Vontae Davis tomorrow at halftime.

You cry because you are a fan?
Ok I guess you feel that accomplished something.
Naaah. You mentioned the crying. You do remember that , right? If you do, that's fine. If you need to go there, wonderful. We understand.

1-3 will give us around a 14 percent chance of going to the playoffs.

Perhaps are odds are better than most in winning games after the first four. Perhaps, we could check our record after the first four since January 1st 2001 (this century).

Miami is 3-0. Who were their opponents may give us some positivity of a win. They beat the 2-1 Titans. They beat the 0-3 Raiders. They won over the 1-2 Jets. A combined record of 3-9.
These teams are not by any means strong playoff calibre teams like the Pats, Jags, Chiefs etc...
We'll see how it goes. {Contain that little bugger Amendola!!! lol}
Glad the game is at home where the boys usually dominate the Fins.

Perhaps are odds are better than most in winning games after the first four. Perhaps, we could check our record after the first four since January 1st 2001 (this century).
Context is obviously important, but taking my comment one step further, the percentage drops from 14% to 7% when any team is more than 2+ games behind first and start 1-3.

Yes, I can imagine the Pats going 1-3. I hope they don't but if they do I'll just hope that they can go to 2-3 after the next game, and so on, and so on, and so on. After the run they've had they'll be playing with house money for a long time.

So how the **** were they prepared to face Wilson in SB49 or Julio Jones & co in SB51 if the defense has been garbage for years and was missing comparable players ?

It is because the athleticism is almost irrelevant in practice. It is about understanding the plays on a schematic level.

"Athleticism is almost irrelevant in practice". Seriously? Why have Crossen play the role of Watson then when Hoyer would work just fine?

No excuse not to get it done at home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents