PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Can we just all take a second to be in awe of this stat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some of their most impressive accomplishments have been the ones where they did not win it. I still can't believe the 2013 team made it to the AFCCG with the receiver lineup they put out there or in 2015 when they had no RB's and their OL was so banged up. They may not always win but their massive heart and unwillingness to go down w/o giving it their all is to me their #1 characteristic.

December 24, 2000. The Patriots played a game and at the time of the kickoff, they were not in contention to win a Super Bowl. It has not happened since then.

I am so glad I got to enjoy this ride.

For a long time this team had to endure some really bad decisions.

I still think back to the phantom roughing the passer penalty against sugar bear Hamilton and think that year should have been our first bowl.

Some other long and/or impressive streaks going on in Patriots land:

• A Brady-led team has never not finished at least tied for the division title in w/l.
  • A Brady-led team has never finished with fewer than 9 wins.
  • A Brady-led team has only missed the playoffs once (2002).
  • A Brady-led team has never been a wild card team.
  • The last time a Patriots team finished in less than a tie for the division title in w/l was in 2000.
  • The last time a Patriots team finished in less than a tie for the Conference title in w/l was in 2013.
  • The last time a (non-Brady) Patriots team finished with fewer than 9 wins was in 2000.
  • The last time a non-Brady Patriots team made the playoffs was in 1998, as a 9-7 wild card team.

And, lest I be portrayed as just pimping Brady while minimizing everything else, I'll end with this:

The Patriots are 7-1 in their last 8 games with a backup QB (IOW non-Brady) getting the start.

What's almost even more impressive, is that the early 2000 teams (Specifically 2004, 2007 and somewhat 2003) were all excellent/well-balanced teams. These stats really reflect the league's stance on making the game more offense/scoring-based and what it means to have a top QB (and coach).

Thanks for pointing that out, but I am superstitious about "jinx" threads.
Can someone do a rain dance or sacrifice a goat or something to ward off the evil jinx demons?

You rightly focus on "Brady-led team". I would note that we have had one team not led by Brady since 2001. Cassel led that team to a 11-5 season, tied for the top of the division.

Some other long and/or impressive streaks going on in Patriots land:

• A Brady-led team has never not finished at least tied for the division title in w/l.
  • A Brady-led team has never finished with fewer than 9 wins.
  • A Brady-led team has only missed the playoffs once (2002).
  • A Brady-led team has never been a wild card team.
  • The last time a Patriots team finished in less than a tie for the division title in w/l was in 2000.
  • The last time a Patriots team finished in less than a tie for the Conference title in w/l was in 2013.
  • The last time a (non-Brady) Patriots team finished with fewer than 9 wins was in 2000.
  • The last time a non-Brady Patriots team made the playoffs was in 1998, as a 9-7 wild card team.

And, lest I be portrayed as just pimping Brady while minimizing everything else, I'll end with this:

The Patriots are 7-1 in their last 8 games with a backup QB (IOW non-Brady) getting the start.

Quick and dirty stat. Since 2003, 69 teams have won 12 or more games in a season. That's an average of 2.2 per team. The Pats have done it 12 times. Put another way 17.4% of all 12 win seasons since 2003 belong to the Pats.....

There are so many impressive numbers that reflect this amazing run and ways to parse them but I think the overarching theme is the year in and year out dominance of whatever schedule they've had, it has been remorselessly methodical. The only real chink in the Brady/Belichick armor being West Coast trips that occasionally seem to knock them out of their machine like rhythm. When they play in Northern or Eastern divisions they actually have a better record outside the division than in it. Take a look at their win % by division, it makes a mockery of the lame troll weak division argument:
AFCN .833
AFCS .828
AFCE .792
AFCW .636
NFCN .875
NFCE .813
NFCS .750
NFCW .667

They are over .800 against every North/Eastern division but their own and only .008 away from being .800 there. The dominance against the AFCN & AFCS are particularly impressive when you consider in 2 of every 3 years they are only playing the top team in those divisions.

Trytaking the patriots out of the AFCE stats. Of course, the division is strong if you include the pats.

TE="maust1013, post: 5322043, member: 39151"]There are so many impressive numbers that reflect this amazing run and ways to parse them but I think the overarching theme is the year in and year out dominance of whatever schedule they've had, it has been remorselessly methodical. The only real chink in the Brady/Belichick armor being West Coast trips that occasionally seem to knock them out of their machine like rhythm. When they play in Northern or Eastern divisions they actually have a better record outside the division than in it. Take a look at their win % by division, it makes a mockery of the lame troll weak division argument:
AFCN .833
AFCS .828
AFCE .792
AFCW .636
NFCN .875
NFCE .813
NFCS .750
NFCW .667

They are over .800 against every North/Eastern division but their own and only .008 away from being .800 there. The dominance against the AFCN & AFCS are particularly impressive when you consider in 2 of every 3 years they are only playing the top team in those divisions.[/QUOTE]

Trytaking the patriots out of the AFCE stats. Of course, the division is strong if you include the pats.

TE="maust1013, post: 5322043, member: 39151"]There are so many impressive numbers that reflect this amazing run and ways to parse them but I think the overarching theme is the year in and year out dominance of whatever schedule they've had, it has been remorselessly methodical. The only real chink in the Brady/Belichick armor being West Coast trips that occasionally seem to knock them out of their machine like rhythm. When they play in Northern or Eastern divisions they actually have a better record outside the division than in it. Take a look at their win % by division, it makes a mockery of the lame troll weak division argument:
AFCN .833
AFCS .828
AFCE .792
AFCW .636
NFCN .875
NFCE .813
NFCS .750
NFCW .667

They are over .800 against every North/Eastern division but their own and only .008 away from being .800 there. The dominance against the AFCN & AFCS are particularly impressive when you consider in 2 of every 3 years they are only playing the top team in those divisions.
[/QUOTE]

It's the Patriot's winning percentage vs those divisions. Not the division's winning percentage. You can't take the Patriots out of it.

It's the Patriot's winning percentage vs those divisions. Not the division's winning percentage. You can't take the Patriots out of it.[/QUOTE]
fair enough; I mis-read.

The point usually made is that the patriots have an advantage because it is so easy to win their division.

We are so spoiled (the last 18 years). I remember the ONE and TWO win seasons. Seems like a lifetime ago.

It's the Patriot's winning percentage vs those divisions. Not the division's winning percentage. You can't take the Patriots out of it.
fair enough; I mis-read.

The point usually made is that the patriots have an advantage because it is so easy to win their division.[/QUOTE]

Okay. I see what you meant. Sorry about that.

Thanks for pointing that out, but I am superstitious about "jinx" threads.
Can someone do a rain dance or sacrifice a goat or something to ward off the evil jinx demons?

BB tried to do that last off-season apparently and it’s caused all manner of problems :D

But none of it matters anymore if they're not having fun like the guys in Philly.
The Eagles are in for a rude awakening when they find out what it is like to be the hunted and not the hunter and teams bring their "A" game.. Something the Patriots know very well..... 10-6 for them.....they are still celebrating........
Meanwhile in Foxboro " we're on to 2018"..............

We are so spoiled (the last 18 years). I remember the ONE and TWO win seasons. Seems like a lifetime ago.
I was in 4th grade when the Patriots won their first Super Bowl. I'm 4 years out of college now. Pretty much my entire life this team has been unbelievably great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft