PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Can we criticize the defense now? Is that allowed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll be surprised if there aren't big changes on the D after this SB.

That said, this is like the great jubilee for self-hating Pats fans who have been waiting to be right for 4 years (and then some, actually).

This was a bad Super Bowl, and the SB is disproportionate within the playoffs, which are disproportionate as compared with the regular season.

You are right, that a few woulda coulda shoulda moments dictated who won and who lost. They always do. I was telling people all week there's a chance of winning, a chance of losing; probabilities are weird and meaningless. It's what happens this game.

So overall, I'm with you: Give the Eagles their due. They were mentally tough, smart, fairly disciplined, and critically, made the big plays when they counted and kept our scoring to a low roar (even if we got 505 yards through the air.)

But this was a good game between two good offenses, and two defenses that got carved up. If we want to say the Pats D was "exposed," I guess so was the Eagles D.

Like I said, I think there'll be changes.
Start hacking away if you want to re-sign Nate Solder and Dion Lewis let alone improve the defense.

overthecap.com/salary-cap/new-england-patriots/

overthecap.com/position/left-tackle

Note: Fleming, Solder, Waddle will be unrestricted free agents in 2018.

overthecap.com/position/running-back

Note: Bolden, Burkhead, Lewis will be unrestricted free agents in 2018.

Last edited:
22 points at the half was the most given up by this defense during the ENTIRE SEASON. Second highest was Pittsburgh with 17.

At that point, how the hell do you not look at your gameplan and say “What we’re doing here isn’t working. Play Butler”? Absolutely stupidity at the highest form.

I can’t sit here blame the defense when the coaches handicapped the team by not putting the best players on the goddamn football field and switched up the defensive strategy just hours before kickoff.

The Patriots scored 33 points. That's the highest point total for a losing team in the Super Bowl.

It's also the 20th-highest point total in Super Bowl history. We scored more points than 33 winning teams.

It's hard not to put this one at the feet of the defense.

One of the worst defensive games I've seen. Considering what was at stake, just awful.

And Butler benched. Will go down as an all time coaching mess.

Last edited:
The Patriots scored 33 points. That's the highest point total for a losing team in the Super Bowl.

It's also the 20th-highest point total in Super Bowl history. We scored more points than 33 winning teams.

It's hard not to put this one at the feet of the defense.
The New England Patriots scored 33 points in the Super Bowl, which does not include a shanked extra point and a botched chip shot field goal, a 26 yard field goal attempt no less.

The New England Patriots scored 33 points in the Super Bowl, which does not include a shanked extra point and a botched chip shot field goal, a 26 yard field goal attempt no less.

And even with all that, the defense STILL gave up more points.

Oh, and we didn't ****ing punt a single time.

If they are serious about retooling the defense, they need to get rid of Roberts and Richards as we speak. I guess Branch and Harris are done here. This team needs another good LB and a prayer that Hightower is going to endure the entire season, plus a solid pass-rusher at DE. Another safety as well.

Can't win theses type of games playing defense with guys like Roberts, Richards, Badomosi and Lee on the field... There is no way anyone can defend this defense.

Defense played absolutely horribly but that can happen in a one game scenario. No one was claiming it was a shut down unit. Losing Hightower from an already thin LB core was a devastating loss. I assume the Eagles fans are blasting their alleged top defense, calling for coaching and personnel changes, lambasting their unstoppable DL as they were scorched just as bad as the Pats were.

"Pats defense set Brady up for a game winning drive but he fumbled the ball and the game." New York Post

"Brady threw for 503 yards but he was uncharacteristic all night, repeatedly missing open receivers and dropping a crucial pass on a trick play." New York Post

lol.

ok guys, according to the Post, the loss is on Brady not the Defense.
That’s a pass Brady usually catches. Wait what?

And even with all that, the defense STILL gave up more points.

Oh, and we didn't ****ing punt a single time.
Branch - gone
Harris - gone
McClellin - concussion history dating back to Boise State
Butler - unrestricted free agent
Jean-Francois - unrestricted free agent
Richards - just plain stinks
Bademosi - unrestricted free agent

Time to retool the defense thru the 2018 NFL Draft.

Sure go at it.

Criticism is deserved.

Yep. The defense played like sh.t, and they were completely out coached last night. Brady and the offense had a really good game, but like the 18-1 team they were on the ropes throughout the game. I honestly thought they were going to win when thy started taking control in the 4th, and then went ahead, but that long Eagles drivecwas the killer.

Props to the Eagles, they beat the Patriots with their back up QB, they deserve the Lombardi.

Turns out Lombardi was once again totally right when he said this was an awful matchup. Could not stop third downs all game. Patricia coached his ass off but the lack of talent in the front 7 just was too much.

Also kinda fitting that all the calls that went our way throughout the regular season with TDs being wiped away went against us this time. Can't really complain about it.

Either way if you lose the turnover battle 1:3 you will not win many games. And this is where this game was lost.

Agree completely. This defense needs to get much faster in the offseason.

It's never been about criticizing the defense, it's been about the chicken littles who give up on the team in the 1st quarter because the opposing team goes up seven points.

Yep, this defense deserves any criticism they get for last nights game, but the chicken Little’s are still gutless losers. They also deserve whatever criticism is leveled at them.

or will we get shouted down with “lol fantasy geek stats are for losers” again?

I thought you quit on them in the first quarter of the KC game?

Great to see you back here crying like a little ***** again,

Can we just trade our whole defense for all of the Jags defensive players?

why with so few high paid players on offense is this defense a bunch of no names? Where is the money?

Good on you for not throwing in Cooks, although losing him did not impact the D (obviously). Ditto Edelman, of course. The inactive list was not considered here or anywhere a slam dunk for the Pats losing this game beforehand; I don't know, therefore, what it explains after the fact.

I and many others would **** all over anybody predicting doom before the coin was flipped (and rightly so) based on the inactive list. I see Branch and Harris, on the defensive side of the ball. The Iggles beat our "healthy" players with a backup QB... it's a tough sell that our injuries made victory impossible, full stop.

The Butler call might merit examination - what was BB seeing before the game? Did Butler transgress some instruction? Were his practices horrible? Flu? Was it a matter of, as somebody here said, reverting to a 4 safety look? What was BB seeing? We shouldn't fall into a post hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy; the "it couldn't be worse" claim does not square with even larger outlier scores, on any given personnel/scheme call. BB made the call that sitting Butler gave us the best chance to win. We don't actually know that he was wrong (however, giving up 41 militates to the affirmative - "more likely than not.") We do know that BB and the Patriots lost.

Probably the toughest job will be figuring out what happened - and don't kid yourself, sometime between now and the draft, they're going to be looking (whatever they say at the podium.)

Happy day after, especially doomsayers - it's therefore more legit now to say, what went wrong, and what would you have done. The worse a performance (or tendency toward poor performance,) the more valid it is to guess at what went wrong and what could have been better.

That's fair enough.

They'll do the same thing in the bowels of Foxborough. I know it's the off-season, but I doubt BB just puts that tape on a shelf somewhere for later viewing. LOL... he's like a month behind prepping for the draft and down one rocket scientist. I know everybody on this thread is thinking "GOOD!" but Matt P's body of work makes me think "replacing" him is a taller order than last night would make us think.

Before the game, Tom was like "Of course I'll be back next year" After the game, TFB was saying "You don't know how you'll process a game but I expect to be back next year" (unless I casually confused the timing - somebody check me on that.) Gronk, by the way, was making "This game (football) HURTS" noises (i.e., might hang them up) as well.

My expectation: That next ring/trophy urge isn't going to just go away, for TFB I mean. The Pats will read out the black box of last night's defensive performance, learn, and adapt.

And all you armchair DBs (don't mean defensive backs) just waiting for the Pats to stink up the joint, congrats! It took 4 years but you nailed it! Have at it - get at the details. You have to respect the exercise to mirror the examination of what went wrong. I'll be reading the X and O level because so many people here are smarter than me about it, that's one reason I love this place.

But please don't tell me "look at the inactive list" when our D did not stop the backup QB. (I mean factor it in is all you're saying, but come on - I wouldn't hang my hat on it). By the way, Foles has shone when given the chance at times, though he's not a world-beater (usually). He's never sustained excellence but he's put up impressive regular season numbers here and there. He was always capable of having a game of this quality. Congrats to Iggles fans.

Nick. Foles. Beat. Us.

Yes it's worth looking at how to prevent that kind of outcome in any "next time." But this game, while the Pats should look at how we could have prevented the Foles/Blount/[your name here] barrage, the Iggles should rightly celebrate a fantastic end to a fantastic season.

/rant

Last edited:
22 points at the half was the most given up by this defense during the ENTIRE SEASON. Second highest was Pittsburgh with 17.

At that point, how the hell do you not look at your gameplan and say “What we’re doing here isn’t working. Play Butler”? Absolutely stupidity at the highest form.

I can’t sit here blame the defense when the coaches handicapped the team by not putting the best players on the goddamn football field and switched up the defensive strategy just hours before kickoff.
Butler would have helped as would a front that could actually sniff Foles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST