PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cam Newton shows Playbook on Instagram

PLAYBOOK GATE!!!...(sorry...someone had to do it)

Whatever percent is less than zero, that is how big of a deal this is. Every team that has ever played, in any league, at any level has those plays. Unless he sends out a list of play calls and audibles, this is a big nothingburger. Just the fact it is Cam that did it is what is making it an issue.

I coach high school football in southern Illinois. One of the plays looks like our outs route. Another our quick out to the boundary, and another our sit route. That verts route needs work on the spacing though.

Probably is not a big issue but it does not look a smart thing to do...
I am a Mac supporter anyway

The audio was interesting.....

"Page 1.....QB sneak left....I'm tight with that
Page 2.....QB sneak center.....follow the big man then bust out
Page 3......QB sneak right...........I'll work my stiff arm
Page 4............Fu*k it, I'm going clothes shopping"

Why?

NFL DCs already have everything on film. If defenses line up to stop the NE TEs, Cam simply changes the play and the TEs turn into blockers or decoys. How are defense going to know when the NE TEs are receivers or blockers?
ROFL, you said Cam can simply change the plays...that's not his skillset buddy.

****ing moron "not for likes" my ass. Everything he does is for the likes. Cut his ass.

I read an article early, can’t remember where, but it was a very recent interview where Newton says he will no longer run like a “battering ram”.
Can’t throw, speed of a fb and now averse to contact.
He has one foot out the door.

ROFL, you said Cam can simply change the plays...that's not his skillset buddy.
HAHAHAHAAAAAA

Belichick...“Well, some of those runs were option-type runs, so we don’t know who’s going to get the ball,” Belichick said. “It depends on how the defense plays. It’s not like handing the ball off to the halfback and running up the middle. When you run plays that have some type of an option to them, you don’t know for sure who’s going to get the ball. That’s just an unpredictable part of that play..

Is it the actual Pats playbook?
Is it something that every team in the League doesn't have already?
Are those plays that every team in the League doesn't already have charted for the Pats?
Is studying the playbook some kind of secret advantage? Sending out the wrong message?
Will the coach even find out about this? (If you worked for him, would you want to be the one to suggest that he give this time and attention, which means he gives less time and attention to something else?)

These questions are besides the point; to me, it's about setting a precedent. Once one of them does it and appears to get away with it, that just opens the door.

HAHAHAHAAAAAA

Belichick...“Well, some of those runs were option-type runs, so we don’t know who’s going to get the ball,” Belichick said. “It depends on how the defense plays. It’s not like handing the ball off to the halfback and running up the middle. When you run plays that have some type of an option to them, you don’t know for sure who’s going to get the ball. That’s just an unpredictable part of that play..

I'm not sure what that has to do with changing the play at the line to create defensive mismatches or shifting protection to cover a blitz
Option plays are still within the framework of the original play call. Options take into account simple reads and then a lot of reaction after the ball is snapped.

It's a font, just like times new roman or comic sans.
Yeah my bad. It’s very common to see that font, especially in emails in other professional settings.

Last edited:
Would you prefer he use something other than English? Maybe Japanese or Arabic or something.
Well I know some Japanese. That’d probably be easier for me to process and more coherent than some of his interviews.

I'm not sure what that has to do with changing the play at the line to create defensive mismatches or shifting protection to cover a blitz
Option plays are still within the framework of the original play call. Options take into account simple reads and then a lot of reaction after the ball is snapped.

Not sure?

OK. The Pats do not call a play in the huddle and then run that play regardless if the defense sets up in the perfect formation to to defend said play. Its ludicrous to suggest that Cam does not have pass and run options afforded to him if he sees an opportunity. A tenet of the 2 TE formation is to run and pass from it. In 1 word "options" and more so now since the Pats have 2 good TEs that are more than capable receiving and blocking.

Tell you what spicoli. You claim that Cam has no such latitude to adjust the offense dependent on the situation. Simply prove it. Show me where your claims are true.

Not sure?

OK. The Pats do not call a play in the huddle and then run that play regardless if the defense sets up in the perfect formation to to defend said play. Its ludicrous to suggest that Cam does not have pass and run options afforded to him if he sees an opportunity. A tenet of the 2 TE formation is to run and pass from it. In 1 word "options" and more so now since the Pats have 2 good TEs that are more than capable receiving and blocking.

Tell you what spicoli. You claim that Cam has no such latitude to adjust the offense dependent on the situation. Simply prove it. Show me where your claims are true.
If you're definition of "adjusting" a play is Cam running instead of throwing, then yes, he does that well. It's just the wrong definition.

Just watch him get his ass handed to him all year in 2020 because he didn't roll line protection to effectively manage the blitz. I'm also struggling to remember one time Cam shifted out of one play into another last year. Granted I didn't get to watch every game like I normally do in a season. But he wasn't exactly adjusting the actual play call at the line, would love to see some examples where Cam shifted from up on the line to shotgun and send the RB out wide with success

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: PP2

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back