PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Call me crazy, but Cam's Instagram sounds like he's gonna be on the bench for these last 2 weeks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure on that front. Would be good if so.

Ross, could you show everyone on PatsFans some love, and drive down to Foxboro with some military binoculars and come away with the scoop whether Cam or Jarrett is the first team QB at practice? @Ian would probably give you a 100% raise for dedication like that to PatsFans. We all have inquiring minds .......................................

Ross, thanks for translating. lol...after the first sentence my head was ready to explode.

I don't want to read to much into it, but it just makes too much sense. I don't think he'll be starting the last two games and probably won't be back next season. That's my take....possibly wishful thinking.
Camfont blows. Thanks for helping.

Is it wrong that I don't want the guy back because of his stupid font? Dude stop... you're not 12 years old.
Newton as a backup to somebody like Kyler Murray (or maybe Daniel Jones) - in the same way Robert Griffin is the backup to Lamar Jackson - makes the most sense for both those teams as well as the player.

Otherwise Cam's best use is as a scout team QB, for when a team is about to play an opponent that has a very mobile QB.

I don't really see his value with the 2021 Patriots. If Newton is indeed considered to be a leader in the locker room, then that could potentially lead to a fissure when the new QB has a bad game or two. It's not all that different from the rational of why businesses prefer to part ways with what had been a valuable employee, rather than demote them - and create a potential situation where other employees remain loyal, undermining the new leader's authority.
I think I would take him back as a #2, but your scenario has merit.

I think Cam has largely been a good guy on the Patriots, but his arm is just flat out dead now.

Look at the first couple of weeks and he could still make some nice throws without looking like he was straining. He was still learning the offense for sure but the basic physical arm talent was there.

Now it's like he has to load up and crank it just to throw 10 yards with any velocity, and having to do that has just killed his ability to place the ball with any control.

He really should just retire IMO.

I think at this point he's been humbled and would accept competing for the job here or elsewhere. He can be a good backup. I think he can start on some teams, but they'd really need a lot of offensive talent on the outside to force the defense to respect the pass at least a little. I do question, though, if keeping him on as the backup next year may cause locker room discontent (unless, of course, his replacement is head and shoulders above him talent-wise)

So basically if his replacement is a NFL level quarterback.

Take that away and he still would have a higher INT percentage than Cam and would effectively average 2INT in what is basically a 1 game sample size. Likewise I could play the same game with Cam's stats and say "count his rushing TD's" and all of a sudden he's probably on pace to go about 20TD's and 12INT's as the lowest volume passer in the league.

Cam is not bad in INT's this year either. He's a little lower than middle of the pack. 2/3rds of the league has 8 or more. Cam has 10. You can easily find an INT or 2 this year that wasn't Cam's fault and make him look pretty good in INT's if you play it that way.

Everything is percentage based and across the board we are just getting low volume. Cam has less pass attempts than his peers. It makes every pass alot more valuable. If a receiver doesn't get openened or drops an easy pass, it's more crucial, if Cam throws a pass into the dirt or it gets blocked, it's more of a miss because he just isn't having as many opportunities to make up for it. When you get to the redzone he's more likely to run it in or hand it off to get the TD because that volume is lower so naturally he has a lower passing TD percentage. INT's become more crucial again because it's on a precious few pass attempts, but if you are down in a game or are trying to get a drive that stalled out going you are going to take a low percentage throw anyways which is going to impact INT's

That's just on a statistical basis. Eye test what I see with Cam is a guy who has been coached to be ultra conservative this year who also lacks strong fundamental mechanics compounded by a spotty at best offensive line and a receiver corp that is not consistently getting seperation. On top of all that you have a lack of volume in passing opportunity
It's hard for defenses to intercept passes that take a 45 degree angle straight into the ground multiple times a game. While Cam may be ok on the stat line, he failed the eye test miserably. He decision making wasn't horrible, but his accuracy and ability to put the ball in places where receivers had a chance to make YAC was poor at best unless they were wide open. Guys consistently had to stop and reach behind them, jump in the air, or stretch out and put themselves at risk to make catches.

I'm more worried that this means he knows hes coming back next season since it could potentially be read that way

Of course he wants back. He's got nowhere to go. With the film he's put together this year (and the past 5 years) he knows his career is on thin ice. He's just trying to ingratiate himself with all players and staff and fans and basically running a campaign to return. It's like that girlfriend whom you're trying to dump and she keeps bonding extra hard with your mother, your sisters, and all your friends. And they all see right through it and it's uncomfortable.

Desperate, amateurish scheming.

Last edited:
also take away the other KC INT in the last 2min when he's just throwing up a deep shot to Byrd. All QB's try bombs like that when you're down big the last 2 minutes.
Why are we taking away things. They happened.

Should I take away the good plays too and call them a fluke?

I think it reads more that he wants to come back and wants to put the work in if given that chance, not that he necessarily "knows" he'll be back.

I also saw that Belichick was pestered on the radio about if a change at QB is warranted, and he pretty much avoided the question repeatedly by answering that they always ask that question. They pressed him (too much really) about it and he mainly just said they have a lot of issues and have to evaluate everything. At face value, that sounds like "Cam is still our QB" but refusing to answer directly leaves the door open for a potential change... If they did make that change I can see the value in keeping it under wraps this week to keep the pressure off, and obviously for game-planning purposes. The Bills will probably be planning on stacking the box heavily and not necessarily be prepared for a guy who can actually throw a little bit.
During the interview, I thought it was business as usual for BB. When does BB ever give information out about the Patriots.

I've cracked the code!

It all makes sense now.

Cam's style is classic..........................................Jackie O

1608743429891.png

1608743450860.png

Maybe but Stidham was not blameless and there’s no reason to take it away. It was a bad decision to throw to that check down which was covered completely on the route. If not picked it was a negative play.

Right. At best, he was setting Edelman up to get absolutely demolished, which we spent years making fun of Peyton Manning (a much better QB than Stidham, probably even in 2020) for doing.

It's hard for defenses to intercept passes that take a 45 degree angle straight into the ground multiple times a game. While Cam may be ok on the stat line, he failed the eye test miserably. He decision making wasn't horrible, but his accuracy and ability to put the ball in places where receivers had a chance to make YAC was poor at best unless they were wide open. Guys consistently had to stop and reach behind them, jump in the air, or stretch out and put themselves at risk to make catches.

5 TDs and 10 interceptions is OK on the stat sheet? The stat sheet and the eye test tell the same story. Great guy, arthritic shoulder, legs shot.

5 TDs and 10 interceptions is OK on the stat sheet? The stat sheet and the eye test tell the same story. Great guy, arthritic shoulder, legs shot.
Again it’s a lot more complicated than just isolating stats. Cam has 11 rushing TD’s and he has far less passing attempts than any player who has played as many games as him and you have to search for players who had 3 less games to find less attempts. Yardage wise he ranks in the exact same space in yards as attempts. The question is why are TD’s lopsided. Part of it is that they are running when they get there. We also just flat out don’t have good redzone WR’s to begin with (Harry should be that guy, but he’s not). And yes his mechanics are part of the problem but it doesn’t tell the whole story. It’s a mix of low volume, more run TD’s, lack of redzone threat WR’s and bad mechanics that get you that stat line.

I mean he’s had a good NFL career. MVP and Super Bowl appearance. But at this point it’s clear he’s damaged goods. It was worth a shot to bring him in on that minimum contract, but it would be a MASSIVE mistake to re-sign him. There is no future with newton as qb.

I mean he’s had a good NFL career. MVP and Super Bowl appearance. But at this point it’s clear he’s damaged goods. It was worth a shot to bring him in on that minimum contract, but it would be a MASSIVE mistake to re-sign him. There is no future with newton as qb.
The thing a lot of people have to accept sooner or later is that

1. The QB of the future is not Cam or Stidham and if either stays, they are effectively here only to serve as a bridge or a back up to the next guy.

2. The QB position is not the only problem on this team. Patrick Mahomes could be on this team and we would not have a hope in hell of winning a SB. This team requires a total rebuild.

3. it’s likely going to take more than one season for us to rise back to being contenders

Once people accept that, they can stop the harmful idea that we can fix this team with one change and that this one change is just conveniently on our roster and the mean old coach won’t let us see him. We need to not delay and do the actual hard work of rebuilding this team. It is time to move on.

I think at this point he's been humbled and would accept competing for the job here or elsewhere. He can be a good backup. I think he can start on some teams, but they'd really need a lot of offensive talent on the outside to force the defense to respect the pass at least a little. I do question, though, if keeping him on as the backup next year may cause locker room discontent (unless, of course, his replacement is head and shoulders above him talent-wise)
I'd take Cam as a trick QB, a guy you bring out when you want to make certain plays hecan do better than anyone else, sort of like the way the Saints use Taysom Hill. Dude can't throw but he's still got good smarts and decent wheels.

I'd also broach the topic of Cam plating RB or TE, both of which he probably has the talent to play if he's willing to learn, and which would eliminate the problem of his bum throwing arm.

Again it’s a lot more complicated than just isolating stats. Cam has 11 rushing TD’s and he has far less passing attempts than any player who has played as many games as him and you have to search for players who had 3 less games to find less attempts. Yardage wise he ranks in the exact same space in yards as attempts. The question is why are TD’s lopsided. Part of it is that they are running when they get there. We also just flat out don’t have good redzone WR’s to begin with (Harry should be that guy, but he’s not). And yes his mechanics are part of the problem but it doesn’t tell the whole story. It’s a mix of low volume, more run TD’s, lack of redzone threat WR’s and bad mechanics that get you that stat line.
Sheer, barking delusion. Buy a clue.

Cam blows, period.

Next.

Have we even attempted to throw Harry any fades near the goalline since stidham hit him vs KC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes