PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

California Football Fans Make No Sense To Me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Travis Hall (SF). If you click on any state, you get a list of the players from it.

Well aren't you a smart cookie? ;)

It's not just football. Californians are lazy and apathetic about anything that isn't fashion or finding new and innovative ways to sink further into debt.
All 37 million of them?

All 37 million of them?

Must be, including all those Stanford, CalTech, and Berkeley students, Nobel Laureates, researchers, doctors, lawyers (well, maybe not), teachers, artists and writers. All of them completely lazy and apathetic.

It's certainly a whole different viewpoint there. Perhaps it's about being a coastal city in a warm weather climate - more people spending their time and money boating, fishing, jet skiing, or other outdoor activities. San Diego, Miami, Los Angeles, and to a lesser extent Tampa and Jacksonville have had challenges selling tickets that colder climate cities have not experienced.
About 6,000 seats are badly obstructed seats (field level blocked by the players, you literally have to watch the big screen on the scoreboard). They always have a tough time selling them.

It's not just football. Californians are lazy and apathetic about anything that isn't fashion or finding new and innovative ways to sink further into debt.
LOL. Classic. Also Quiche is really expensive right now. Gotta go, my credit cards are maxed out (so can't shop online any more) and Project Runway reruns are on. I'll be back to answer you.... oh never mind, I don't really care.

...Garcon....more peach mango tofutti please...

I was born and raised in California but didn't start watching football religiously until I was about 14 years old. As one poster or Ian noted, since the weather is so great year round, most people in California do other things than watch sports. Most people I run into don't care for sports. In fact, the only time people will watch sports in California is to socialize only. I was like that too, especially in high school. I didn't give a crap whether our school's team won or not because I was there to socialize with friends. California is not a football town, it's a basketball and baseball town dominated by the Los Angeles Lakers (which is my favorite basketball team) along with the Angels and Dodgers coming in at second.

All 37 million of them?

Not every single one, obviously. Just an extremely disproportionately high number. I can't speak for Northern California, since I haven't spent nearly enough time there since I moved out to Cali, but NorCal is an entirely different region and culture by all accounts anyways. San Diego is the context of this conversation, and I live about 40 minutes outside of San Diego, so I can speak pretty comfortably about what the people are like here. It may not be a popular opinion, but from what I've seen the culture here is incredibly vapid, and even more consumption-based and debt-financed than you'll find in the rest of America.

Last edited:
Not every single one, obviously. Just an extremely disproportionately high number. I can't speak for Northern California, since I haven't spent nearly enough time there since I moved out to Cali, but NorCal is an entirely different region and culture by all accounts anyways. San Diego is the context of this conversation, and I live about 40 minutes outside of San Diego, so I can speak pretty comfortably about what the people are like here. It may not be a popular opinion, but from what I've seen the culture here is incredibly vapid, and even more consumption-based and debt-financed than you'll find in the rest of America.

This is incredibly lazy-minded and, interestingly, vapid. Some of the smartest people I've ever met are from San Diego (specifically Solana Beach).

Need I start generalizing about New England? Because I can. I can go on and on, and on and on and on. But I don't, because I know it's meaningless.

In fact, I can say precisely the same thing about New Englanders, or most other groups for that matter, that you say about Californians. Interesting how these things work.

Very disappointing stuff here. Yes, I grew up in California. I've lived in Boston now for 10 years.

What complete and utter nonsense. Just about the most absurd generalisation I've heard.

What a moronic thing to post. Could you make a larger generalization? We've got enough transplants here already, go back to Boston or wherever you came from. You just lost all credibility.

I was born and raised in California but didn't start watching football religiously until I was about 14 years old. As one poster or Ian noted, since the weather is so great year round, most people in California do other things than watch sports. Most people I run into don't care for sports. In fact, the only time people will watch sports in California is to socialize only. I was like that too, especially in high school. I didn't give a crap whether our school's team won or not because I was there to socialize with friends. California is not a football town, it's a basketball and baseball town dominated by the Los Angeles Lakers (which is my favorite basketball team) along with the Angels and Dodgers coming in at second.

That sounds about right,except maybe for Oakland. Raider fans are pretty die hard:eek: lol.

We've got enough transplants here already, go back to Boston or wherever you came from.

This is not good form considering your goal is to defend the character of your fellow Californians.

That sounds about right,except maybe for Oakland. Raider fans are pretty die hard:eek: lol.

Raiders fans are just a completely different breed altogether. There's no explaining them. It's like they emerge from the black hole, enact their noisome roles on Sundays, and slip back into it never to be seen in daily life.

You can go to the beach, year round, for free, and look at hot women in bikinis. There's so much to do there that passive viewing of sports isn't that important. There's sh*t to do for fun in New England that compares to California.
I agree. There are no football fans in California. They would rather go to the beach than a football game. The same beach that is available on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Firday and Saturday.

They just don't care about football. Or sports. Californians are like that guy in the Sony ad. "But I don't like sports." "No, Chicken. No."

One question, though. Why would you pass up a football game to go to the beach every day and look at women who would never in a million years speak to you? Isn't that kind of pre-adolescent?

go back to Boston or wherever you came from.
Don't tell me. You're a classy guy, just like that whiny fella on your team.

If you are an example of someone born in southern Cal, it is obvious that your gene pool is in desperate need of a transfusion.

One question, though. Why would you pass up a football game to go to the beach every day and look at women who would never in a million years speak to you? Isn't that kind of pre-adolescent?

I've never had that problem.

If you are an example of someone born in southern Cal, it is obvious that your gene pool is in desperate need of a transfusion.

The problem with this post was pointed out before it was ever posted.

This is incredibly lazy-minded and, interestingly, vapid. Some of the smartest people I've ever met are from San Diego (specifically Solana Beach).

Need I start generalizing about New England? Because I can. I can go on and on, and on and on and on. But I don't, because I know it's meaningless.

In fact, I can say precisely the same thing about New Englanders, or most other groups for that matter, that you say about Californians. Interesting how these things work.

Very disappointing stuff here. Yes, I grew up in California. I've lived in Boston now for 10 years.

/shrug, you're welcome to your opinion on my observation. Naturally there are very smart people in SoCal- there are very smart people everywhere. I made it pretty clear that I was speaking in generalities, so there will be many, many exceptions, and I'm far from the only person who's made these observations. I'm sure you have your own opinion of New Englanders, and some of them are probably based in reality- we have our own annoying traits, in general, I'm sure. Personally, I'm from Maine- feel free to make all of the general observations about rural Maine that you want. I'll probably agree with a lot of the negative ones, and will point out a lot of positive ones as well.

Going back to my original post, though, if I'd known that the PC police were going to freak out over someone daring to call SoCal generally vapid, I wouldn't have bothered. Some people are seriously defensive about where they're from, and I've got to say I just don't get it. When people say that we New Englanders are elitist snobs, I laugh it off. I don't totally agree with them, but I don't particularly care one way or the other, and I know that I'm not going to change a perception that is rooted somewhat in truth anyways.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots