PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

California Football Fans Make No Sense To Me

Status
Not open for further replies.
/shrug, you're welcome to your opinion on my observation. Naturally there are very smart people in SoCal- there are very smart people everywhere. I made it pretty clear that I was speaking in generalities, and I'm far from the only person who's made these observations. I'm sure you have your own opinion of New Englanders, and some of them are probably based in reality- we have our own annoying traits, in general, I'm sure.

Agree to disagree and all that - we're still friends. :) I just find generalities vexing.

Edit: WTF quick save.

Last edited:
Agree to disagree and all that - we're still friends. :) I just find generalities vexing.

Edit: WTF quick save.

Fair enough, I didn't intend to offend anyone. Maybe I didn't make it clear that generalities, to me, do not mean that everyone is like that, etc, or maybe I'm missing the point entirely. Maybe I went about saying it in a ****ish way, but all that I was really trying to say was that my observation is that what I've seen of SoCal is highly image-oriented, and I've met more people living way, way beyond their means in one year here than I did in the last 20 years in New England. You're right that I shouldn't extrapolate that out to be a regional/cultural thing, though- it could just as easily be a small sample size thing, where I'm just around the wrong people.

Last edited:
/shrug, you're welcome to your opinion on my observation. Naturally there are very smart people in SoCal- there are very smart people everywhere. I made it pretty clear that I was speaking in generalities, so there will be many, many exceptions, and I'm far from the only person who's made these observations. I'm sure you have your own opinion of New Englanders, and some of them are probably based in reality- we have our own annoying traits, in general, I'm sure. Personally, I'm from Maine- feel free to make all of the general observations about rural Maine that you want. I'll probably agree with a lot of the negative ones, and will point out a lot of positive ones as well.

Going back to my original post, though, if I'd known that the PC police were going to freak out over someone daring to call SoCal generally vapid, I wouldn't have bothered. Some people are seriously defensive about where they're from, and I've got to say I just don't get it. When people say that we New Englanders are elitist snobs, I laugh it off. I don't totally agree with them, but I don't particularly care one way or the other, and I know that I'm not going to change a perception that is rooted somewhat in truth anyways.

It's not defensive - it's the generalization itself that is annoying. They work in math because you can prove them, but they don't work with people. I can attack generalizations about California specifically because of personal experience, but generalizations about any group are always problematic, because they're usually always wrong - they're so easily disproven. It's not PC, it's logic.

It's not defensive - it's the generalization itself that is annoying. They work in math because you can prove them, but they don't work with people. I can attack generalizations about California specifically because of personal experience, but generalizations about any group are always problematic, because they're usually always wrong - they're so easily disproven. It's not PC, it's logic.

Fair enough, but showing that a generality doesn't fit everyone doesn't mean that the generality isn't true. You'd have to show that it isn't generally true, with generally already being an incredibly vague term. IMO, the biggest problem with generalities is probably that it's incredibly difficult to disprove them

Last edited:
Fair enough, but showing that a generality doesn't fit everyone doesn't mean that the generality isn't true. You'd have to show that it isn't generally true, with generally already being an incredibly vague term.

People's non-physical qualities are very hard to measure. :)

I agree. There are no football fans in California. They would rather go to the beach than a football game. The same beach that is available on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Firday and Saturday.

They just don't care about football. Or sports. Californians are like that guy in the Sony ad. "But I don't like sports." "No, Chicken. No."

One question, though. Why would you pass up a football game to go to the beach every day and look at women who would never in a million years speak to you? Isn't that kind of pre-adolescent?

You are correct, no sports fans here. We just go to the beach all day. And just because they wont talk to you, doesnt mean they wont talk to me.

People's non-physical qualities are very hard to measure. :)

Hahaha, can't really argue with that. I've observed some qualities that a lot of people that I run into seem to have, but you're right, it doesn't make sense to extrapolate that to all of SoCal. It was a little bit of trash talk that escalated; not a verifiable statement or anything. Now let's all band together and make fun of Pittsburgh, or something. What a stupid city.

And as for there being no sports fans in San Diego, it's sorta true. They have some really hardcore fans, and then after that they have tons of "diehards", except they're the types that don't actually go to the games and lose interest as soon as the team loses. Of course, given the reaction on this board after the Miami game, it seems like a large percentage of our fan base is pretty much the same.
It's true that southern Californians don't seem to care as much about sports (Manny's commented on it a couple of times since he was traded, though his stance was that we New Englanders are obsessive and weird), and NFL seems to rank below basketball and USC. I could be totally off base on this, but I think it has a lot to do with the fact that such a large percentage of Californians are first or second generation, as well as there being more stuff to do. When I look at why I'm a diehard Celtics, Sox, and Pats fan, it's because I grew up watching them and hearing stories about them from my dad and grandfather. It's a legacy thing, and it helps to connect families across generations. When I try to explain this aspect of it to other people, I typically get a blank, somewhat concerned stare that makes it clear that I just sound weird. For a lot of us, though, being a fan is about way more than the sport itself. To this day, when I watch a Sox game, I get nostalgic remembering how I used to watch them on my couch while my grandfather smoked his pipe and told me about Ted Williams. At the same time, so many other people in my hometown attached the same significance to it that it became the sort of thing where we all took it to a slightly obsessive degree, and that was just normal. For Southern Californians, I've personally seen more of this in how they follow USC football than the Chargers.
If I had grown up in California, with a father who was a transplanted Red Sox fan, I don't think I would be nearly as big of a fan as I am now. When you have bigger towns/cities with fewer people who care about the teams, the community factor just isn't there to the extent that it is in New England, and when you don't share it with your family, the legacy and the community don't really converge like they do for us. So, when we take it to perhaps a slightly unhealthy degree, it's worth remembering that being a fan, for us, goes beyond just the sport. This is kind of a rambling post, I realize, but I think that it might be that we're actually the weird ones. I'm not claiming that Boston fans are the only devoted ones in the country (I know that they're not, and that the legacy factor holds true for all sorts of fan bases), but devoted fans period, wherever they are, are the exception, not the rule.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm from California.....

...and I'm not offended with anything that is said.

Having lived in San Diego, I could not be more disappointed in a group of fans for their lack of attendance at home games. I can understand a team like the Arizona Cardinals that play in some intense heat. I can understand a team like the 9ers that have been pretty bad over the last few seasons. But no, this is San Diego with LT, Gates, Merriman, Rivers, et al. The have been winners and have had a lot of press in the national media.

But...

1. The Chargers don't sell single game tickets, which could be a problem. Because Raider fans from LA would dominate their match up in SD, Chargers implemented a plan to force anyone buying one ticket to buy two more tickets (or maybe it just another ticket) for another home game. So if I want to go to the Pats game, I have to buy a ticket to some other lame game that I might not be interested in going to.

2. The Chargers don't market themselves as much as I have seen in the Bay with the Raiders and 9ers. Up in the Bay, I couldn't miss the three Raider road signs along a 20 mile stretch of the 101 freeway, in route to Candlestick Park. At the same time, you can't miss the billboards further out of Candlestick that were promoting the 9ers. I don't see any of that in SD for the Chargers. I don't hear about any public relation events or promotions around the city but on occasion when listening to sport radio. But where are the non-AM listeners going to hear about it?

3. San Diego is a city of people from other cities. You see a ton of Steeler fans, Raider fans because of their relationship to LA, Giant fans, Eagle fans, etc. I don't know if it is the Navy base that brings in guys from other areas or the businesses that recruit outside employees, but there aren't many Charger fans.

4. San Diego has a large mexican/latino demographic. Baseball is hard to market even with Adrian Gonzalez being a local kid. It is even harder to fill a stadium for NFL football when there is a likelihood that a large amount of the demographics around the area would appreciate real football.

Because the premise of the article is that Californians aren't football fans.

Right. The "real" football fans walk out of their OWN stadium in the third quarter when they're losing. Now, those are some die-hards.

Hahaha, can't really argue with that. I've observed some qualities that a lot of people that I run into seem to have, but you're right, it doesn't make sense to extrapolate that to all of SoCal. It was a little bit of trash talk that escalated; not a verifiable statement or anything. Now let's all band together and make fun of Pittsburgh, or something. What a stupid city.

Hey!!! I live in Pittsburgh. Oh wait, I couldn't agree more. Please carry on.

Anybody that knows what "ynz" or "nebby" means is stupider for that knowledge.

Ian's Daily Blog - I love California*Football “Fans”. * In New England where I see first hand what fans go through to get their hands on tickets and how quickly the games sell out at Gillette.* So*I’m having a tough time understanding how in a market like San Diego there could have even been a possibility of a television blackout for [...]

More...
yet pats fans were leaving in droves, at the start of the 4th qtr in the miami game....while their team was still unbeaten

reminded me of a dodgers game

Fair enough, but showing that a generality doesn't fit everyone doesn't mean that the generality isn't true. You'd have to show that it isn't generally true, with generally already being an incredibly vague term. IMO, the biggest problem with generalities is probably that it's incredibly difficult to disprove them
Or prove them! Hence the reason they, in general (snicker), should not be used.

Ian's Daily Blog - I love California*Football “Fans”. * In New England where I see first hand what fans go through to get their hands on tickets and how quickly the games sell out at Gillette.* So*I’m having a tough time understanding how in a market like San Diego there could have even been a possibility of a television blackout for [...]

More...

Some honest feedback from a California Fan.

Southern California in general provides a lot of choices when it comes to recreation and entertainment. Beautiful Beaches and Mountains, and great weather pretty much year around makes it hard to want to stay home when you do not have to. As for Chargers tickets, the Q is a old stadium that was also used by the Padres for many years, the majority of seats that do not sell, even for prime time games, are seats with obstructed views, people do not want to spend the money when they can not see the game that well from the seats, other reasons for not selling out home games can be directly attributed to the diversity of the population, the majority of the middle age residents were not born or raised in Southern California, and therefore are fans of teams from their home state, so going to a Chargers game is not that important to them until their team comes to town

My perspective of places outside of Southern California.

I will use Boston as an example because I lived in Dorchester for about three years...... While living and traveling around the Boston area, I did not find the same mix of diversity, People from the West, Midwest, and South do not pick places like Boston, New York, Philadelphia, as their primary choice to relocate to so they can start a new life, generally because of the weather and confines of living in a big east coast city, and also due to the economics’. So without the same diversity as Southern California, you will always find a more dedicated and loyal fan base for the home teams, If 90% of the population are generations old residents, well....... they all root for the same team, and fan support becomes more relevant in every day life.

Okay enough of this, as I need to get my work done so I can leave early today and go surfing this afternoon. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes