PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Butler visiting Saints

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope you're right
I think he's right. If Butler wants $13 mil, he's going to have to wait until next year, because the Saints can't afford it. If he wants $10 mil, I can see the Patriots matching that offer.

Doesn't seem like Butler's agent has explained the situation that well

Considering he was expecting top-of-the-market money last year, that would seem the case.

I guess it's hard to table the ambulance-chaser mentality.

I think he's right. If Butler wants $13 mil, he's going to have to wait until next year, because the Saints can't afford it. If he wants $10 mil, I can see the Patriots matching that offer.

this is pretty much the most likely scenario. By all sources Butler wants to be paid as a top corner THIS year. But as a RFA no team is going to pay that with the collateral going back.

And if butler is willing to bring his price down to get more security now I am sure the pats will be willing to pay it.

Butler wants his cake and to eat it too. And he will find out quickly thats not how RFA works.

Yes, but couldn't that strategy cause problems down the road for the Saints? The cap hit has to go somewhere, even if cap space is projected to go up.

1. Yes. They are in trouble already. But what Miguel & co are saying is simply that - it is possible. (they will have a lot of Brees dead money in the next yrs as well)
2. It is probably Brees' last year so they might wanna go all-in. Giving up Cooks (despite tensions) was of course not a step in that direction (no immediate cap space for losing key playmaker).
3. It is hard to know what Butler will be really asking. His stock went down at least a bit + he has no leverage. #1 pick is a huge load to carry to negotiation. Of course trade is possible but will probably not be for much less. Then again we saw what BB is willing to accept for a star player when his mind is made up to move on..

Draft Sidney Jones in rds 3-4 (consensus #2 CB in this year's draft before achilles injury) and have him compete in 2018 when Butler leaves.

Dont'a Watch has ended & Butler Watch has begun.
That would be an inspired pick. We are one of the few teams that could afford to give him that red shirt season.

Right now with no picks likely to fill an immediate need, we should take the best edge rusher available with our first 3rd rounder, Jones with the 2nd one, and Joe Mixon with the 4th. That's 2 first round talents with baggage we can handle (btw-I'll wait for the inevidable Joe Mixon thead to expound on why I'd take him) PLUS think about it. We'd have THREE freakin' CB's named Jones. How can you NOT want that. ;)

Not sure why but I'm getting a Haynesworth vibe from this Butler saga.

That would be an inspired pick. We are one of the few teams that could afford to give him that red shirt season.
Not a big fan of this, achilles injuries are such high risk. 6th round is about the highest I'd go there.

As for Mixon in the 4th,I think you're 2 rounds late; I expect him to go in the 2nd. [/QUOTE]

Not a big fan of this, achilles injuries are such high risk. 6th round is about the highest I'd go there.

As for Mixon in the 4th,I think you're 2 rounds late; I expect him to go in the 2nd.

Mixon in the 2nd with his baggage?

This kid needs a dose of reality. High just waited 5 years to get to shop himself around and he wants to do it after 3. Has his agent read the CBA? And yes, I know he can shop himself around now, he just can't expect to get paid like a UFA #1 corner which is what he wants.

I might just be sleep deprived over the whole Hightower ordeal but I'm just about done with this guy.

This kid needs a dose of reality. High just waited 5 years to get to shop himself around and he wants to do it after 3. Has his agent read the CBA? And yes, I know he can shop himself around now, he just can't expect to get paid like a UFA #1 corner which is what he wants.

I might just be sleep deprived over the whole Hightower ordeal but I'm just about done with this guy.

Yeah his agent is definitely not working in his clients best interest. Wonder if he is seeing a big payday for himself since he gets a nice cut of a massive contract.

You'd think someone like Hightower or Dmac could talk to him. Maybe he isn't reachable like that.

Either way, he will get torched by TB and crew this upcoming season. Who is he going to match up with? Edelman? Hogan? Mitchell? Cooks? Gronk?

All the listed above have a feature that is a weakness of Malcolm's.

He's not Ray Lewis. He hasn't (to my knowledge) killed a guy.

Patience. Very, very likely that he signs w NO. But if he returns, he'll work & produce. We're ok.

Mixon in the 2nd with his baggage?

If you owner is fine with having a person with severe impulse control issues on their team why not ? The talent is there..

I am happy we don't have anything to do with that..

Malcolm is operating under hurt feelings. It happened the minute gilmore was signed.

If you owner is fine with having a person with severe impulse control issues on their team why not ? The talent is there..

I am happy we don't have anything to do with that..
No question on the talent that's for sure

Given the Saints cap issues, which are interesting to say the least, plus the fact that I STILL haven't heard a single quote from Butler himself that would lead me to believe his is pissed, angry, or otherwise determined to leave NE, I think it is more likely for him to stay rather than leave.

Hightower has gone on his "search for dollars" tour and no one made a big deal about it because it it was expected.
He earned his right to be a FA, and deserved the right to see what was out there. Butler going to NO is much the same. They obviously have an interest in him, and he SHOULD go out and explore what the market for his services actually are, under his current contract situation.
p
It is possible that he goes to NO for some sort of draft pick package, sure. But I'm not convinced its some sort of done deal, or a continuation of the Cooks deal. Thus I find myself pissed at the CONTINUAL reporting of speculation as if it were fact.
you must have not been around this past week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes