PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Butler visiting Saints

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see NO giving up the 11th pick in a draft that is rich in cornerbacks and also forgoing 3 relatively cheap years and paying MB instead. But stranger things have happened...

CBS SPORTS NFL

Reddick's stock has risen astronomically. Sidney Jones injury will have a domino effect at CB.

The value at 32 is TEs and OLs. Not sure there is value at CB at 32.

It would give us more draft ammo for sure to manuever but this team really only needs one more pass rusher (power RB will probably be dealt with pre-draft). There is barely anywhere on the roster for a rookie to make the team.

Like @The Scrizz said, the Patriots have the leverage. They don't have to negotiate down. If the Saints want Butler they are obligated to give up pick #11.

If this is a sign and trade, I hope we are getting more than #32 back, I am not hoping for #11, but for at least another pick.

We have all the leverage here. We have control over Butler and if the Saints want to "steal" him, they will have to give back their own 1st rounder (11th overall). In order for us to be willing to complete the trade, the compensation at least neeeds to be really close in value to the 11th overall pick. If not, well, I think Butler is worth more to us this year than the compensation we might get for him. ANd then, next year, we have the option to franchise him.

The Pats are holding all the cards here.

But if it's an offer sheet situation...which Reiss says it wouldn't be

11th pick - Would be heart breaking but makes sense

32nd pick - No. The talent just isn't there at 32 to justify trading Butler.

An injured Jonathan Allen could be at 11. Also Barnett and a small chance at Thomas.
Or a small trade with Charger for 7 and a RB :)

This Pats Homo loves Butler, BUT for the 11th I'd say Goodbye. That pick trading down could get us a young premium CB in the 1st round with little cap hit for 5 years PLUS a later round shot at a depth guy. DO IT. (Yah I know it's fantasy for #11)
At #32 I dunno. I'd keep him for a run at the SB this season but I'm a fan and not a draftnik.

There are two reasons why the Pats would agree to pick #32 instead of just taking pick #11. 1) As noted, there is already a wink-wink agreement where both teams valued Cooks and Butler as worth #32 with some change to balance, or 2) the Patriots are desperate to get rid of Butler, and the Saints won't offer a contract if they have to give up pick #11 but would if they could give up #32. There has been speculation from day 1 that reason #1 might exist. We don't know about reason #2 - if the Pats believe that it's reached a Jamie Collins like point where the team feels it's better off without Butler than with him and is willing to compromise.

If the Pats don't plan on extending Butler long term, which is possible given they just paid out for Gilmore, then pick 32 for a restricted free agent is a great deal. One year of Butler versus 5 years on a 1st round pick. No discussion in my view. We certainly aren't franchising Butler next year.

The Saints aren't giving up pick 11. It will be pick 32 or 42 in a trade.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand this is why he didn't sign the tender (and would have been stupid to do so).

I want him to stay but I don't blame a player for treating it like a business.

Hes not going anywhere until he signs the tender unless BB and Payton work out a side deal.

Last edited:
Only way o get #32 back is if they give up other picks. #32 alone would be a pretty bad deal.

LMAO at people who don't know how restricted FA works. There is zero reason to trade Butler for the 32 pick. Let NO set his market so he see's what's out there and then either let him walk or match.

The Pats have 99% of the leverage in this situation.

NO will not give up their 11th pick for Butler. They'll have to give him a new contract, which is what Malcolm wants. If they are going to do that, why not just sign Gilmore without having to give up their 11th pick? lol

I have no idea how this is going to work out, but to think the Saints will give up their 11th pick for Butler is insane on the Saints part. It may make sense for people wearing Patriots colored glasses. Payton may be Bill's friend, but i doubt he's wearing a Patriot jersey under his Saints jersey. lol

Given the Cooks deal and that Butler was untradeable at the time it's likely that if N.O. and Butler agree to a contract then a trade has already been agreed to once Butler signs the tender and becomes tradable.

The weird part is the inclusion to us in the Cooks deal of the #4 which we lose. Between the two teams, we lost value there (by having a higher pick taken away) and if Reiss is right it's now untradable. They didn't have to include a #4, there has to be something going on with that but I have no idea what.

Ugh no, I guess if we get the 11th pick in them straight up signing him it'd be great value, but I'd rather ride out the last year of his deal and go for the 6th Lombardi. This team is mega stacked with Hightower and Butler back. Probably our best roster ever headed into camp.
Good news is that with a strong CB class, the rookie we could snatch with that pick might be an instant impact player.

I still can't believe all of this though.

If this is a sign and trade, I hope we are getting more than #32 back, I am not hoping for #11, but for at least another pick.

We have all the leverage here. We have control over Butler and if the Saints want to "steal" him, they will have to give back their own 1st rounder (11th overall). In order for us to be willing to complete the trade, the compensation at least neeeds to be really close in value to the 11th overall pick. If not, well, I think Butler is worth more to us this year than the compensation we might get for him. ANd then, next year, we have the option to franchise him.

The Pats are holding all the cards here.

If the Pats do a sign aND trade, and take less value than #11 overall, I would definately be concerned about the NFL* pursuing the Pats for prosecution since they could have just not matched and gotten #11 overall.

I honestly think you guys are high if you think they're giving up #11 for Butler.

This is no different than Saints fans who thought they were getting Butler and #32 for Cooks.

Given the Cooks deal and that Butler was untradeable at the time it's likely that if N.O. and Butler agree to a contract then a trade has already been agreed to once Butler signs the tender and becomes tradable.

The weird part is the inclusion to us in the Cooks deal of the #4 which we lose. Between the two teams, we lost value there (by having a higher pick taken away) and if Reiss is right it's now untradable. They didn't have to include a #4, there has to be something going on with that but I have no idea what.
If that's the case, I can see the saints trading our #32 back and giving us their 2nd rounder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes