PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Butler visiting Saints

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course

But every indication is the trade is gonna be our 32nd pick back

Which I think we all can agree is garbage due to the fact that we literally already had that pick the other day

Saints would have to offer their original pick, which is #11, unless Belichick decided not to for some reason.

At this point, it'd be pretty dumb to take 32, unless he's getting something else as well.

Wasn't sure where to put this, but it will fit here as well as anywhere.

I just went to a Browns messageboard and there was a new thread about the Browns and Saints being interested in Malcolm Butler.

There is so much fail in that thread I don't know where to begin.

Some Browns fans were wondering if it was worth giving up the #12 pick for Butler, apparently unaware that they would have to give up their OWN #1 pick if they sign him, which is #1 overall.

Then one poster suggested a package deal of Butler and Jimmy for #12 and #33, and the very next poster thought that was too much for the both of them.

Note to self "Stop going to Browns messageboards" !!!

Last edited:
You're dreaming! Belichick is desperate to get rid of an unhappy player.
We will be lucky to get a 7th round pick for him.

Of course

But every indication is the trade is gonna be our 32nd pick back

Which I think we all can agree is garbage due to the fact that we literally already had that pick the other day
As far as I'm aware, the team HAS to give up their OWN pick which would be #11 - they can't elect to send a different pick acquired from a different team instead.

EDIT: I'm referring to an offer sheet swap, for those of you clicking Disagree...

Last edited:
I am over Butler...he is most likely gone...give us #11 (which would be awesome...can draft there..move around ect)

GIVE ME HIGHTOWER

As far as I'm aware, the team HAS to give up their OWN pick which would be #11 - they can't elect to send a different pick acquired from a different team instead.

They do have to give their own..we can't get #32 back

I really want Butler back....would be a great corner tandem... I can understand the financial consequences though, but really wish Butler would be with us another year.

Possibly we'd even get more, depending on what the contract they sign him to is. If it's something the Pats could live with, they can tell the Saints, "We're just going to match it unless you sweeten the pot." That's what happened with Welker coming here, we only technically owed a 2nd rounder, but had to throw in a 7th to actually get him. I don't think the Dolphins had a real intention to match, but the extra pick was cheap enough for the Pats to throw it in to make sure.
I'm pretty sure BB threw in a poison pill, which was allowed at the time as a loophole, so Kraft stepped in, since the Dolphins couldn't match the offer sheet, and handed the Dolphins a 7th rounder as a peace offering, sorta speak.

I should clarify that I meant in a TRADE

if it's an offer sheet than yea it'd be the 11th

Lmao at people thinking we get the Saints 11th pick.

LMAO at people who don't know how restricted FA works. There is zero reason to trade Butler for the 32 pick. Let NO set his market so he see's what's out there and then either let him walk or match.

The Pats have 99% of the leverage in this situation.

The way I see it. They sign him to an offer willing to give up #11. Or they have to satisfy us with something of similar value in a trade. So if they aren't gonna sign him to offer and give up 11 then any trade would start with 32 but would need to be sweetened somewhat.

As an example think of the Welker deal we did with Miami back in 07. The tender for that was a 2nd rder. We gave up a 2 and 4 in a trade instead of risking them matching are offer sheet or going a poison pill rte (now defunct).

In this example the reason for the trade is different but I still think the asset starts with the 1 listed in the tender. If you want to avoid an offer sheet you give us a one and then some otherwise why we talking.

Only way that doesn't happen is if BB and SP worked out a deal previous - in the Cooks trade.

BB has all the leverage here. If the Saints offer Butler a package, NE can either match it and keep him, or let him go and take pick #11.

If the Saints work out a contract with Butler, he has to sign his tender, in which case, BB can keep him for the year at 3.9 or make the trade. I don't know why BB would give up anything unless he and SP had a wink-wink with the Cooks deal (and since the Pats offer was apparently the best on the table for Cooks, that doesn't seem to be the case).

To those who know the process better than I do, would we be receiving the 11th or 32nd of the Saints sign him to an offer that NE declined to match?

So if he signs an offer sheet and the Pats don't match, what is New Orleans required to give the Patriots.......???
The only way it would be anything else, is if the Pats match the offer sheet and then trade him to New Orleans for something other than #11...And you can bet the league and the NFLPA would be screaming collusion and putting Ted Wells on speed dial....
And if the Pats matched and traded him would there be cap implications for any signing bonuses or would it all fall on the Saints???

I'm pretty sure BB threw in a poison pill, which was allowed at the time as a loophole, so Kraft stepped in, since the Dolphins couldn't match the offer sheet, and handed the Dolphins a 7th rounder as a peace offering, sorta speak.

Okay, that sounds more familiar now that you mention it. Thanks for the clarification.

Saints would have to offer their original pick, which is #11, unless Belichick decided not to for some reason.

At this point, it'd be pretty dumb to take 32, unless he's getting something else as well.

Is that true? Saints have 2 1st. Can't they give back 32nd as compensation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore