PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Butler visiting Saints

Status
Not open for further replies.
Based on the events so far, it appears that the following are a given:
1. Malcolm Butler will be a Saint this year.
2. Malcolm Butler is getting his long term deal this year.
3. Patriots will get a draft pick from Saints - which one(s), I do not know. But definitely not the 11th pick.
I would be living in an absolute black and white world if I believe that Butler's move to NO is not a part of the Brandin Cooks deal. Obviously, it could not be consummated simltaeneously because of Butler's tender and Cooks upcoming payment. To dispel the notion of collusion, Patriots will not get their #1 back. Instead, they will get lower round picks of equal value.
Will the event happen before this thread reaches 50 pages? That and the draft picks are the mystery.

I agree with the kid throwing a tantrum analogy, this is the downside of the whole undrafted walk on simplex. I wish things could be resolved but it seems unlikely. Butler is worth the eleventh pick but, id rather try keeping him somehow. Im too biased however

It depends on what NO is offering

If its Malcolm getting 4/$40 and a $15m signing bonus that is a helluva lot better than $3.91m 1 yr from NE

No way they can offer a deal like that right now. They only have about $16 million in cap space.

Neither is Malcolm Butler. Garoppolo vs Butler, fourth year pro vs fourth year pro.

The only difference between Garoppolo and Butler was that Garoppolo was drafted.

End of story.
Ummmm. No. Garoppolo is under CONTRACT through the end of the season. Butler was tendered as a RFA. He is allowed to talk to other teams as he is tendered. Not under contract. JG is under contract and can't talk with other teams. That would be tampering.

Ummmm. No. Garoppolo is under CONTRACT through the end of the season. Butler was tendered as a RFA. He is allowed to talk to other teams as he is tendered. Not under contract. JG is under contract and can't talk with other teams. That would be tampering.
Malcolm Butler is under contract with the New England Patriots. If Malcolm Butler refuses to sign his restricted free agent tender, his contract is tolled and the process repeats itself next year.

This whole thing bums me out.

I just want to see Malcolm play for us next year in one of the best secondaries in the NFL to go with what could be a really good pass rush along with probably one of the best offenses in the Brady era. If he walks the year after that, so be it. I'd rather have a year of that secondary than whatever we get from the Saints, which will probably not be their #11 pick or our old #32 pick.

Of course, I'm not the GOAT coach who is usually right and doesn't make decisions based on what bums him out.

Malcolm Butler is under contract with the New England Patriots.
Actually, no he isn't.
If Malcolm Butler refuses to sign his restricted free agent tender, his contract is tolled and the process repeats itself next year.
Assuming he doesn't work out some other deal, the recent reports are that he will sign the tender, report on time and give the Patriots his best effort this year and there will be no such repeat next year because after his 4th season, he will be a UFA (unless tagged).

I hate it when things get convoluted like this. They should make clearer lines for the rfa_fa whole get down so that the hand wringing and nail biting can be decreased. Other players dont do this that much on the rfa year.

Mike Loyko says he thinks Butler is gone and being that he is generally full of it, i assume that Butler will be signed long term. :p

Actually, no he isn't.
Assuming he doesn't work out some other deal, the recent reports are that he will sign the tender, report on time and give the Patriots his best effort this year and there will be no such repeat next year.
The histrionics are all on the part of Malcolm Butler, not the New England Patriots. Sure sounds like Malcolm Butler wants to get the hell out of Dodge.

The histrionics are all on the part of Malcolm Butler, not the New England Patriots. Sure sounds like Malcolm Butler wants to get the hell out of Dodge.
What histrionics? He is negotiating with other teams, which he is 100% within his rights to do.

It doesn't sound to me at all the he wants to get out. It sounds to me like he wants to get paid. He is treating this like a business, just like the Patriots do.

What histrionics? He is negotiating with other teams, which he is 100% within his rights to do.

It doesn't sound to me at all the he wants to get out. It sounds to me like he wants to get paid. He is treating this like a business, just like the Patriots do.
Malcolm Butler can wait to get paid when he becomes an UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENT.

i think if saints were offering #11 he would have been traded alredy its more like a 2nd and if it goes down like that and i hope it dose not its almost even Cooks for butler.

only saints will have to pay butler 12+ million pats will let cooks play out his rookie contract and go from there

No trade can happen until Butler signs the tender. he's not going to sign until he's negotiated every possible deal out there.

Of course he would, if it helped the team. This is nothing compared to Ty Law circa 2004.
Are you claiming that Butler will be a Patriot this year? If so, I respectfully disagree. We will see moving forward.

Malcolm Butler can wait to get paid when he becomes an UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENT.
That's one possibility, sure. Another possibility is he can accept a deal some other team offers him this year (if that team is either willing to part with a 1st rounder or work out something with the Patriots). Then he doesn't have to wait, does he?

It would be ridiculously irresponsible not to at least pursue other opportunities. His absolute worst case scenario for this offseason is he signs the tender but, as I have stated many times, there's no reason to sign it right away.

Last edited:
Are you claiming that Butler will be a Patriot this year? If so, I respectfully disagree. We will see moving forward.
No, that is not what I am claiming. What I am claiming is Belichick will not say "oh he doesn't want to be here, so gee I better trade him because I don't want an unhappy player." He had no problem keeping a very unhappy Ty Law around.

Belichick will weigh future performance against dollar cost against the compensation offered the Patriots in return. He will not weigh Butler's personal feelings.

Why would the New England Patriots take less than the #11 overall pick in the 2017 NFL Draft? The New England Patriots can retain Malcolm Butler for the 2017 NFL Season and draft a cornerback with the 72nd overall pick in the 2017 NFL Draft.

www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-england-patriots/cap/
Who the hell is giving up the 11th pick for Malcolm Butler? No one has even given an offer to a first round tender since 2003.

There's a much better chance that Butler and his agents are getting a feel for what type of longer term deal the Saints are offering before he signs his tender. After that, he will most likely be traded to them.

Thank you Malcolm very much appreciated

That's one possibility, sure. Another possibility is he can accept a deal some other team offers him this year (if that team is either willing to part with a 1st rounder or work out something with the Patriots). Then he doesn't have to wait, does he?

It would be foolish not to at least pursue other opportunities. His absolute worst case scenario for this offseason is he signs the tender but, as I have stated many times, there's no reason to sign it right away.
If the New England Patriots do not agree to compensation, Butler is SOL. Petulant children must be dealt with accordingly.

Waa! Stephon Gilmore accrued 5 NFL Seasons and received 5 years/$65 million!

Waa! Malcolm Butler accrued 3 NFL Seasons and received 1 year/$3.91 million!

Waa! Dispatch the wambulances!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday