PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Butler & Saints working towards finalizing a deal (Thread now UFC Pats Fans Event)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been on this site for 10 years. For you other old timers, what is the worst thread you can remember (other than this one)?
I think there may have been an infamous "trade Brady" thread somewhere around 2009. Not sure about the specific date, but I'm sure someone will remember.

I think there may have been an infamous "trade Brady" thread somewhere around 2009. Not sure about the specific date, but I'm sure someone will remember.
Maybe but this one's worse, but a bit humorous at the same time.

I've been on this site for 10 years. For you other old timers, what is the worst thread you can remember (other than this one)?

Unfortunately they are locked but if you go look at the week after the KC game ( we're on to Cincinnati week) there were some batsh.t crazy threads and even more insane posts. Some of the same crap has resurfaced lately but most of it isn't as bad as the crap people posted that week.

I don't care. I can't stand it. Was was way worse then this.
David Patten will NOT make this team was UFC message board fighting style too.

That doesn't even make any sense.

Read my sentence again. It makes perfect sense. Patriots shopping Butler around wouldn't impede on Butler's free agent value at all. To play in the NFL in 2017, Butler has 2 choices, either sign the tender with the Pats or sign a contract with another team. The fact that his rights are property of the Pats or any other team doesn't change any of that, nor the value of either deals.

With 'solid' logic like yours, can I ask you a question ? Are you Butler's agent by some chance ? That would explain a lot...

Pick any game day thread from any year. By comparison, this thread is like a theoretical physics discussion.

Yup. Mostly alcohol-fueled chicken little fainting spells, or alcohol-fueled exclamations of "Trade Brady Now!" or "Fire Belichick NOW!" etc etc etc. with the appearance, from time to time, of some lone sane individual trying to talk actual football, or steer the conversation back on track, etc. I always thought that there was more civility and organization in any mosh pit than those threads.

I have purposely stayed out of them. It takes too much time from watching the game, and it does nothing good for my blood pressure.

Last edited:
Another tidbit for those who, like Andy, thinks the Patriots never thinks of trading a player who is under some restricted free agent status (like a RFA, or a franchised UFA).

From Pro Football Talk :
BELICHICK: PATS HAVEN'T TALKED TO PANTHERS ABOUT PEPPERS
There’s no trade talks going on with Carolina,” Belichick said, as transcribed by Gregg Rosenthal of NBCSports.com. “They don’t have a signed contract. They can’t talk about trading a player that isn’t signed.”
But there’s no rule directly prohibiting trade talks. The prohibition comes in a roundabout way via Article XIV of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Specifically, Article XIV, Section 8(b) states that “[a] Club extending a Required Tender must, for so long as that Tender is extended, have a good faith intention to employ the player receiving the Tender at the Tender compensation level during the upcoming season.”
In other words, a team can’t apply the franchise tender to a player solely as a vehicle for trading the player. Thus, evidence that the team is trying to trade the player could provide the foundation for an argument that the team doesn’t have a good-faith intention to employ the player receiving the Tender.
Once the tender is signed (and thus no longer “extended”), the “good faith intention” requirement evaporates, and the player can be traded.

But then the same article mentions the Tebucky Jones trade (traded to the Saints before he signed the franchise tender). But we also have a more recent event, taking place AT THE SAME TIME PERIOD as Belichick's quote (i.e. “They don’t have a signed contract. They can’t talk about trading a player that isn’t signed.”) when he traded franchise-tagged Cassel to the Chiefs. The trade happened after Cassel signed the tender, but in this case, the tag was solely used as a mean for trading the player, which goes against article 14, section 8b of the CBA. Unless you want to believe that the Pats really intended to keep 2 QBs with salaries in the top 5 in the NFL on the same roster, or that the Pats entertained the thought of trading Brady and keeping Cassel.

Belichick sure doesn't want to get another penalty from the NFL for 'cheating' the CBA, so the dealings are kept low profile, but he provides multiple examples in which he did bend the CBA rules. Why stop with Butler, when he already did it for Jones, Cassel and Welker ?

Personally...I love this thread. For certain posters....this thread will be their Waterloo. An epic defeat defined by arrogance and delusion....all on record for others to rubber neck for decades.

This is the thread that never ends it goes on and on. Nobody has any idea what BB is thinking on this issue.

Pick any game day thread from any year. By comparison, this thread is like a theoretical physics discussion.

pats could be up 362 to nothing, and some of these guys would still be like "Nink is pretty slow off the lines, no way we even make the playoffs with this current defense. they dont pass the sniff test" or "jules beard is a little too long, we should cut him"

I don't care. I can't stand it. Was was way worse then this.
David Patten will NOT make this team was UFC message board fighting style too.

Oh no no no no no, I CANT STAND IT ........ may be the greatest single thread in the history of Patsfans. I have no idea why It wasn't stickied and embossed with gold.

IIRC it was also from "We're on to Cincinnati " week?

You should've been on KFFL Pats forum back in the days of the "Border War". We're talking bloodthirsty stuff back in the late 90s. There was almost an even split of Pro Kraft members and pro Parcells members. It made for mass bannings, closed threads, member suspensions...it was crazy...

Every single NYJ success in that 1998 season was a referendum on Kraft and Pete Carroll and to the pro tuna guys, it was a vindication...

Young kids don't realize how much Parcells was revered here. I thought it was kind of overblown for a guy with a career .500 record with the team. But the media loved him so much, and pumped his tires so much that WEEI - and I remember this like it was yesterday - was going to have a "Jets Monday" segment and they were going to be interviewing Parcells every week. They said it didn't happen because they couldn't get a sponsor. This really played into the Boston sports fans OBSESSION with players/coaches who leave and play/coach for another team. It used to be extreme, but with the recent run of success for our teams we don't see it as much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes