PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Butler & Saints working towards finalizing a deal (Thread now UFC Pats Fans Event)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you really have to be so over-the-top and insulting with people you disagree with?
I need to explain myself to someone who thinks that the Pats arent a championship team because they dont spend big dollars at players in the same area of position?

Also, you think you know what is going on here because you have over 6600 posts here in 2 years.

That is 9 posts a day for 2 years straight.

Sweet deal for the saints. A guy that can play outside or inside.

Belichick would trade Butler to the Saints for something much less than that, I think a second round pick at best, or maybe something like a third and a fifth. See the Wes Welker deal; teams were able to work out a trade rather than using the tender obligations.

Wes Welker wasn't a pro bowler at the time, or anything close. He was not even a proven starter.

The RFA rules say we get #11 if they give him an offer sheet. I know that's steep, and that means that they won't give him an offer sheet.

So he's a Patriot for a year, or we can accept a lesser offer. How much less? I'd say it ought to be close in value to the #11. Say #32 and a second rounder, or #32 and a conditional pick next year that can be a #3, #2, or even #1, based on milestones like making the pro bowl.

They can, but that's where the Patriots leverage is. They certainly don't have to.

They are not going to have the Saints negotiate a contract, tell Butler to sign the tender to be traded, and then keep Butler and screw the Saints. That is just unethical. The only "leverage" is that they have final say on this deal, so it's a question of what they'll get back from the trade. And many suspect that compensation has already been worked out by the teams, prior to the Cooks deal.

While I don't think they should accept anything less than #11, I'm not even expecting they'll get as much as #32.

Wes Welker wasn't a pro bowler at the time, or anything close. He was not even a proven starter.

The RFA rules say we get #11 if they give him an offer sheet. I know that's steep, and that means that they won't give him an offer sheet.

So he's a Patriot for a year, or we can accept a lesser offer. How much less? I'd say it ought to be close in value to the #11. Say #32 and a second rounder, or #32 and a conditional pick next year that can be a #3, #2, or even #1, based on milestones like making the pro bowl.

Does Butler's agent bet the bolded yet?

the saints do have a choice--don't give butler an offer sheet unless they know belichick is willing to do a deal for less.

Hence "if". The thread title indicates that scenario. If they offer it and he signs it, Pats get #11. Profit.

Not sure if there is anything to this...

This one hurts alot:( big butler fan. Will still rock his jersey. The value the saints will get is tremendous.

I'd be OK with it if they also throw in a 2nd or 3rd rounder, even next year

Last edited:
Not sure if there is anything to this...

Getting the #32 back for a system CB who will be irrelevant in New Orleans and who we replaced with a better and younger player in Stephon Gilmore.

QONVIyz.gif

Belichick still dominating the offseason.

Bill must not think butler's a legit number 1 if he's trading him for number 32 or he just wants to get rid of him quickly.

While I don't think they should accept anything less than #11, I'm not even expecting they'll get as much as #32.

I agree with you 100%.

There's an easy benchmark: Cooks. Cooks was worth #31 (and a swap of later round picks, so in essence, he was worth a mid-late first round pick.) Cooks is a better player than Butler - that is, he would receive more money if both were on the open market...there isn't much question on that. In addition, Cooks has one cheap year left on his deal and one team option that isn't outrageous to exercise.

So Cooks is the better player and offers financial advantages. Butler does not offer financial advantages, since they need to sign him to a big deal immediately to get him.

Given that information, there is no way Butler is worth a first round pick, since Cooks was worth a first round pick. Second round (pick 43) is questionable, as it isn't that far away from the first round.

Getting the #32 back for a system CB who will be irrelevant in New Orleans and who we replaced with a better and younger player in Stephon Gilmore.

QONVIyz.gif

So now the guy's overrated? He gives up plays but he's a solid corner.

Boooooooooooooooo. Please match.

I don't believe its being done in relation to his RFA status, I'm betting it's being done as part of a deal they have reached with the Patriots to return the 32.

QONVIyz.gif

Anytime you can play good man to man coverage it immediately takes you out of the system cb discussion. Nice try though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes