PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Butler & Saints working towards finalizing a deal (Thread now UFC Pats Fans Event)

Status
Not open for further replies.
While there is no official "sign-and-trade" procedure in the NFL, I cannot imagine a scenario where a team told a player "sign the tender and we will trade you to the Saints" and then when the player signed it they "changed their mind" and kept him at the tender value.

If such a thing happened, the NFLPA would file a grievance and win easily.

I don't disagree, but there are a lot of details to work without any formal agreement in place -- indeed, theoretically without any direct contact at all between the trading parties. It's easy to imagine a last-minute snag causing the trade fall through.

The player isn't the only one with risk exposure. Suppose a team hands over draft picks for a player who subsequently finds something objectionable in the contract they give him to sign? Can't you picture, say, a young Darrelle Revis saying "now that I think about it, make another $5 million of that guaranteed...."

The player isn't the only one with risk exposure. Suppose a team hands over draft picks for a player who subsequently finds something objectionable in the contract they give him to sign? Can't you picture, say, a young Darrelle Revis saying "now that I think about it, make another $5 million of that guaranteed...."

Perhaps the trade can be made contingent on the player signing the new contract with the new team? Dunno if that's allowed, but the general concept of conditional trades and take-backsies is a long-standing thing.

According to the Draft Value Chart the #11 is worth a little more than two 32's. #11 is worth 1200 points and #32 is worth 590 points. However even though the Saints would technically get a better return I would take #32 and #42 for Butler because the value at that point in the draft in terms of players is really good. The Patriots could almost certainly add a really good Corner prospect and Edge Rusher/OLB if they get those two picks.

I would take the 11 and then move down if that were my goal.......between 32 and 42, the pats have a history of drafting total garbage at CB

Bill belichick and mike Lombardi have said it iron clad can not. But I'm sure you are right and they are wrong. After all a couple of sportswriter speculated. That has to be proof.

Or randos on a message board. Don't forget them.

AndyJohnson said:
Bill belichick and mike Lombardi have said it iron clad can not. But I'm sure you are right and they are wrong. After all a couple of sportswriter speculated. That has to be proof.
I appreciate your admission that you don't know, Mr. Everyone Needs To Give Cites to the CBA Except Me.

Are they also the source of your increasing assertions about how this rule you don't actually know the root of works? First you were saying it only applied to players not under contract. Then you were saying it also applied to players who were under contract if it was after the trade deadline, and so on. If you can't give a CBA or other official cite to that could you give us the quotes from BB or Lombardi that confirms all the extra stuff you've claimed is true about this?

It is becoming more and more likely that we may end up with the 11th overall pick for Malcolm Butler. I love Butler, but that is theft.

We could use it to take a top corner to pair w/ Gilmore on cheap money for next 5 years or we could trade down ~ten spots and pick up a 2nd to fill the gap between our next pick.

If this happens ill miss Butler but man it would be amazing.

It is becoming more and more likely that we may end up with the 11th overall pick for Malcolm Butler. I love Butler, but that is theft.

We could use it to take a top corner to pair w/ Gilmore on cheap money for next 5 years or we could trade down ~ten spots and pick up a 2nd to fill the gap between our next pick.

If this happens ill miss Butler but man it would be amazing.

At # 11, you're looking at a dynamic playmaker....maybe an elite RB, or amazing pass rusher, we don't necessarily have to go corner

Hope this is true and Belichick has no intention of making some BS deal with the Saints. Make them sign an offer sheet or get bent.

Hope this is true and Belichick has no intention of making some BS deal with the Saints. Make them sign an offer sheet or get bent.

Question. Why is it a BS deal if the Pats trade Butler to NO for #32 instead of playing hardball for #11 (with NO probably refusing to go along), and yet it's not a BS deal if Atlanta were to sign Butler to an offer sheet and fork over pick #31? Butler's value is Butler's value; it doesn't change depending on what draft picks a team has, it is what it is.

Question. Why is it a BS deal if the Pats trade Butler to NO for #32 instead of playing hardball for #11 (with NO probably refusing to go along), and yet it's not a BS deal if Atlanta were to sign Butler to an offer sheet and fork over pick #31? Butler's value is Butler's value; it doesn't change depending on what draft picks a team has, it is what it is.
Because NO wants Butler badly and ATL doesn't. It's not that complicated.

back to #11 pick? Don't see that happening..maybe #32

back to #11 pick? Don't see that happening..maybe #32

It's 11 or bust for NO. Want him that bad? Gotta pay the price. That's probably BBs thinking. I've stayed out of this debacle for the most part but this is where they are at in my opinion.

I appreciate your admission that you don't know, Mr. Everyone Needs To Give Cites to the CBA Except Me.

Are they also the source of your increasing assertions about how this rule you don't actually know the root of works? First you were saying it only applied to players not under contract. Then you were saying it also applied to players who were under contract if it was after the trade deadline, and so on. If you can't give a CBA or other official cite to that could you give us the quotes from BB or Lombardi that confirms all the extra stuff you've claimed is true about this?
It is common sense.

And if you seriously think that New Orleans and New England have not said a single word to each other about Malcolm Butler, including what it would take for NO to get him, then I have a bridge I can sell you which spans all that swampland you own.
Then get ready to lose more picks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back