PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Busy Day: Pats Sign Matt Tobin

Status
Not open for further replies.
We should sign Scar to an “until he stops breathing” contract.

2017 Seahawks OL was awful. Very skeptical of anyone coming from that unit. Anyway, not claiming him to be the starting LT so we'll see what's in store for the guy.

Regards,
Chris

While he hasn't lit up the league, Tobin is at least quite athletic. Scar can work with this.

Height: 6060
Weight: 303
40 Yrd Dash: 4.90
20 Yrd Dash: 2.88
10 Yrd Dash: 1.75
Vertical Jump: 28 1/2
Broad Jump: 08'11"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.62
3-Cone Drill: 7.69
Several good points... I would be shaking my head (and scratching my post) however we do have Coach Scarneccia.

Too much being made of this signing. Christ, he was a back up OT on what might have been the worst OL in the league. The Pats are going to have to sign about 15 more FA's before camp starts. This one won't be any more impactful than any of them.

BTW- I'd like to sign one or both of Waddle and Flemming. I'm guessing BB is letting them see what their market is. I think at least one is a lock to be back, though which one would be merely guessing.

As far as the draft, I'm not looking to draft one in the first 3 rounds. This simply isn't a good year for the OL, and once you get past the very few no-brainers, you will be reaching. No, DL, LB, or perhaps a QB is where we should be using our top draft capital this year.

You have it backwards: if the contract would count, releasing him before week 10 causes it not to count.

But if the contract wouldn't count, then he can play every snap all season and it won't cost them a pick.

Ill go w Nick Korte on this. Look @OTC - 2018 comp chart - f.e. L.Johnson (1y/855K) - qualified as UFA gained for BUF (and would cancel UFA lost if BUF would lose another UFA)

Same thing happens with Tobin if he is w NE after week 10. Thats why OTC is having him cancelling one UFA lost (Lewis) even if the contract is TBA. Same goes for Hill.
_______

EDIT: On further look - L.Johnson's 855K deal was not vet minimum for him since he was on his 6th season (vet.min for 4-6 season vets was 775K). It is strange that Justin Hunter on the same deal and same vet exp. didn't qualify as UFA gained/lost..

In any case it would be safe to say UFAs signed on vet minimum deals don't count as UFAs gained/lost . so for Tobin going in his 6th season - if it is vet min (790K) - he won't count. Let's see what the contract is and how OTC adjusts..

Last edited:
depth at OL is always good

and with the great Dante at the helm...: ;)

Re Tobin and the comp pick formula

Tobin is utterly putrid and not worth even one feckin penny above the non-guaranteed, one-year vet minimum. I will be extremely pissed if we lose a compensatory pick because of this signing.

All these big Iowa corn boys. Guess we'll find out if he can beat out his mini-me, Cole Croston, for a spot at the end of the roster.
Croston completely sucks too. Neither of those 2 useless stiffs deserve to even be in the building.

Tobin is utterly putrid and not worth even one feckin penny above the non-guaranteed, one-year vet minimum. I will be extremely pissed if we lose a compensatory pick because of this signing.

I’m not saying that you are wrong but how do you know? Have you done extensive study of his game film and practice snaps? And remember, nobody like a liar.

Croston completely sucks too. Neither of those 2 useless stiffs deserve to even be in the building.

Same question as my Tobin question to you. How do you know? From his rookie preseason snaps? He was always thought of an an athletic project. Perhaps he showed significant improvement during the season and has added some strength. I’m not saying that I’d be confident in his ability to start at LT, I’m merely hypothesizing that you are talking out of your arse.

I trust that BB and Scar anticipated Solder’s departure (knowing about Garcia’s ailment) and have a plan in place to adequately protect the TB12’s blindside.

Surely you can't be serious.
Absolutely. Let me count the reasons.

1. Based on what I'm reading, The OL class is so weak this year, I'm not sure there would be anyone worth taking that early.

2. Anyone might we take from 31 down would be very unlikely to be ready to start THIS coming season. So the issue of replacing Solder would remain regardless of who we draft on the OL

3. Not that I would expect him to be ready to start in 2018, we already have Garcia in the wings filling the role of replacing Solder down the road. So if we draft ANOTHER so called LT replacement isn't that redundant. And what about Crosson and the other kid they supposedly like so much

4. Here are my short-term thoughts for next season, Cap. Marcus Cannon is an all-pro RT. I'm not sure that he would be as good on the left side, but I do know he wouldn't suck. Cannon, over the last few years, shut down Von Miller, among others. Given a full offseason to prepare, and Scar coaching him, do you really doubt he couldn't be an adequate replacement for Nate?

Waddle and Flemming proved to be adequate replacements for Cannon last season. Both of whom played better as the season went on. I'm not sure who they'll keep, but I'm sure at least one will remain and fill that role. The Swing guy would come from Tobin, Crosson, Garcia, the other kid they liked enough to keep whose name I forgot, or one of the 3 or 4 other guys they are likely to sign as FA's or draft (low if I had my way).

5. Now I can't see why they signed Tobin either. Like I said, he was a back up on the worst OL in the league. Not exactly the high point on anyone's resume. However, he does have the athletic numbers and size that they like. That alone makes him worth a shot to see if it was bad coaching that kept him down

BTW- why did you disagree with my OP. I guessing it was that I didn't want to draft an OLman early, but I'm not clear.

You may be right. If no one in the top 100 is capable of starting this year or next, then we will pass and live with Fleming-Cannon or Cannon-Waddle depending on who we re-sign, with Tobin and Croston as backups.

Tobin is a backup, who can be cut at any time. At very least, he might warm Garcia's seat on the bench, while Garcia in on the PUP or another list. Besides, Waddle and Fleming are both still free agents.

1. Based on what I'm reading, The OL class is so weak this year, I'm not sure there would be anyone worth taking that early.

2. Anyone might we take from 31 down would be very unlikely to be ready to start THIS coming season. So the issue of replacing Solder would remain regardless of who we draft on the OL

3. Not that I would expect him to be ready to start in 2018, we already have Garcia in the wings filling the role of replacing Solder down the road. So if we draft ANOTHER so called LT replacement isn't that redundant. And what about Crosson and the other kid they supposedly like so much

4. Here are my short-term thoughts for next season, Cap. Marcus Cannon is an all-pro RT. I'm not sure that he would be as good on the left side, but I do know he wouldn't suck. Cannon, over the last few years, shut down Von Miller, among others. Given a full offseason to prepare, and Scar coaching him, do you really doubt he couldn't be an adequate replacement for Nate?

Waddle and Flemming proved to be adequate replacements for Cannon last season. Both of whom played better as the season went on. I'm not sure who they'll keep, but I'm sure at least one will remain and fill that role. The Swing guy would come from Tobin, Crosson, Garcia, the other kid they liked enough to keep whose name I forgot, or one of the 3 or 4 other guys they are likely to sign as FA's or draft (low if I had my way).

5. Now I can't see why they signed Tobin either. Like I said, he was a back up on the worst OL in the league. Not exactly the high point on anyone's resume. However, he does have the athletic numbers and size that they like. That alone makes him worth a shot to see if it was bad coaching that kept him down

BTW- why did you disagree with my OP. I guessing it was that I didn't want to draft an OLman early, but I'm not clear.

You must have missed the 2015 AFC Championship Game where Tom Brady was literally beatin' to a pulp.

www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201601240den.htm

January 24th, 2016 - Von Miller 2.5 sacks

If the Pats had not offered Solder at $10M+ contract I would have assumed that Garcia or Croston or Jelks looked good in addition to Cannon and Waddle. But since Solder said the Pats made him a reasonable offer I am assuming non of the existing guys instill a lot of confidence.

the mystery man is Jelks

Patriots OT Andrew Jelks to miss third straight season after not getting activated off NFI

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3