PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Burkhead returns to practice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone take "Re-injured while still on IR"?
The thought crossed my mind last week, when someone said that he was on the field during pre-game warmups.

No, he’s only played in 3.37% of the offensive snaps this year, and last year saw 7.55%. He’s most certainly not often needed as a third tight end.

Like you said, he’s a capable ST player. I’m not sure about “top” special teamer, but that term is subjective. He’s played in about 17% of the ST snaps this year, and about 40% last year.

Bill seems to like him enough to keep him around, so that’s good enough for me.

Well, the 3.37% and 17% represent Hollister's percentages of total team O-snaps and ST snaps, respectively. However, he's been active for only 3 games this season so far.

When you drill down into the game-by-game stats, on a per game basis, Hollister has averaged about 50% of the ST snaps when available ... 2-3 units, about the same as he averaged over the last 12 games of last season. And, he typically participates on both coverage units.

In terms of offensive snaps, Hollister has averaged about 11%/game this season. However, the distibution has been 23% (and 3 catches on 3 tgts) v. JAX in his season debut in wk-2, then "token" O-snaps in wks 4 & 5 v. IND and KCY (but a lot of ST snaps) - just as the WR corps had returned to full staffing.

It seems to me that the evolution of the 2018 has been slowed a bit due to having to radically improvise in the absence of key players at various points (especially during the first four games). I think it's still in the "experimental phase" to a certain degree, though it always seems to be that way up to the (usual) wk-8 BYE.

I suspect that, after the BYE this year, as usual there will have been some "settling" of player roles. For example, I suspect that Gordon's snap % may be reduced slightly below the 85% he's averaged over the last four games, and that Dorsett's and Hollister's usage in the passing attack may increase some (although remain more variable from game-to-game than for Gordon, Edelman and Gronk).

If everyone stays relatively healthy after they BYE, I think this offense will have the deepest and most versatile group of rushing and receiving weapons that it's had in a long time - maybe ever - and definitely SB-worthy.

Well, the 3.37% and 17% represent Hollister's percentages of total team O-snaps and ST snaps, respectively. However, he's been active for only 3 games this season so far.

When you drill down into the game-by-game stats, on a per game basis, Hollister has averaged about 50% of the ST snaps when available ... 2-3 units, about the same as he averaged over the last 12 games of last season. And, he typically participates on both coverage units.

In terms of offensive snaps, Hollister has averaged about 11%/game this season. However, the distibution has been 23% (and 3 catches on 3 tgts) v. JAX in his season debut in wk-2, then "token" O-snaps in wks 4 & 5 v. IND and KCY (but a lot of ST snaps) - just as the WR corps had returned to full staffing.

It seems to me that the evolution of the 2018 has been slowed a bit due to having to radically improvise in the absence of key players at various points (especially during the first four games). I think it's still in the "experimental phase" to a certain degree, though it always seems to be that way up to the (usual) wk-8 BYE.

I suspect that, after the BYE this year, as usual there will have been some "settling" of player roles. For example, I suspect that Gordon's snap % may be reduced slightly below the 85% he's averaged over the last four games, and that Dorsett's and Hollister's usage in the passing attack may increase some (although remain more variable from game-to-game than for Gordon, Edelman and Gronk).

If everyone stays relatively healthy after they BYE, I think this offense will have the deepest and most versatile group of rushing and receiving weapons that it's had in a long time - maybe ever - and definitely SB-worthy.

Perhaps the 2007 group was less flexible. However, it was much better.

Perhaps the 2007 group was less flexible. However, it was much better.

Certainly, the 2007 offensive roster was better at WR, especially at the top end.

In terms of the total number of potential playmakers across all the skill positions, I think the 2018 offense may prove to be more dangerous to opposing defenses.

Excellent. Burkhead with a few carries and a swing pass or two is so welcome with the carnage in the backfield so far. This means there's a chance the Patriots can show up after the bye with a backfield of White, Michel, and Burkhead. Good luck to the rest of the teams on the schedule.
I'm still concerned about who will be taking the big boy carries on the road, in the 4th quarter.

Curious if you could elaborate on this point -- just the injuries, or something more?

Partially the injuries, partially the way he's overrated by Pats fans (or was before the default discourse about him became "lol injuries"). I've frequently seen him described as a "weapon" here. He's not. He's a backup quality RB with good versatility. We tend to use him in short yardage situations way more than he deserves (although he will be the best option by default upon his return).

Neither is deadwood...Hollister is our #3 TE, often needed. He is also a top special teamer.
When you are continuously unavailable for whatever reason it is this time, and especially because Gronkowski is obviously hurting (he NEVER should've played vs Barfalo) and the team could, you know, actually use some Big Slot production from you, that is indeed one of the definitions of Deadwood.

I'd rather have Stephen Anderson (among others) on the 53 instead of Jake the Fake part deux. I think we'll somehow manage to remain competetive, even without his top STs skills.

what I like about having Burkhead back, is he can help keep White and Michel healthier by taking some of their snaps. If we can get 10+ touches a game out of him, less pounding for White and Michel.

what I like about having Burkhead back, is he can help keep White and Michel healthier by taking some of their snaps. If we can get 10+ touches a game out of him, less pounding for White and Michel.

Agreed, thats my hope as well. Plus burkhead is probably the most versatile of the 3 so that makes him a weapon when available.

Less White means a reduced chance of winning games.

White is playing 60% of the snaps compared to 40% last year. I don't think his workload is a concern.
Considering how much Brady targets him and that those extra snaps are mostly running plays, a 50% increase seems like a lot a extra hits for a guy that's smaller than me.

I'd rather have white stay away from the DTs. Burkhead is just as good, if not better at running inside.

Considering how much Brady targets him and that those extra snaps are mostly running plays, a 50% increase seems like a lot a extra hits for a guy that's smaller than me.

I'd rather have white stay away from the DTs. Burkhead is just as good, if not better at running inside.
Less inside runs for Sweet Feet is something I can get behind.

This guy will get another concussion while practicing in the rain. He needs that Welker helmet.

In 2007 Belichick complained if you stopped Moss and Weiker, you stopped the Pats Train.

This team is very well rounded and only missing an inside thumper and second TE.

Great analysis from when Rex Burkhead started practicing after going on IR three weeks ago. Adding Burkhead to the backfield gives Brady the full Swiss Army knife against the Vikings at home.

Burkhead adds a N-S dimension to the running game in addition to his pass catching and blocking skill. Over the summer, we were excited by the possibility of a Michel, White, Burkhead, Develin backfield. Cordarrelle Patterson wasn't even a concept at RB back then. This is the most diverse and interesting running back group that I can recall in the Brady-Belichick era.

Develin has been the unsung hero of this team so far.

The Vikings have a top five rushing defense, so it will be interesting to see how much the Patriots run the ball. I would not be surprised if they attack that defense on the ground with constant changes in combinations of these guys.

Cause I love playing these types of games.

2010 we had:
RB: Lawfirm, Faulk, Woodhead
WR: Welker, Branch, Tate (Moss and Edelman too but eh)
TE: Gronk, Hernandez Crumpler

I'd say RBs were just about even between 2010 and this year. 2018 could have been better if not for health issues.
WR I'd say we're better in 2018 than 2010. Branch was fading and Randy left the team. Wes was still great.
TE was clearly an edge to 2010, moreso than our current WR beats the 2010 roster imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back