PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Burkhead and Hogan

Status
Not open for further replies.

WHPats

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Hey guys

Burkhead and Hogan have been battling injuries for the last while, Hogan's been back in longer but he he's been pretty quiet...likely rust. You think these guys will break out and make an impact in the Super Bowl on Sunday?

Yes. More confident about Hogan being ready. Bulkhead's knee may need some off season repair work.

Hogan I believe will have a decent game. Will be part of the game plan. Bulkhead could shine if the play calling features him. That we will see

They said hogan had a sprained ac joint in his shoulder.

I had one in college playing football and was back playing in four weeks.

Now I have no idea how severe his was, but I do know he had been out a while, came back for a game. Was invisible in that game. Then missed some time again. He has since come back and been the invisible man again!

We really need him to step up his game this weekend. He is going to be very key because the defense of the eagles is going to rotate help to cooks side.

Hogan should have plenty of single coverage and he needs to create separation. He went from being 7 eleven and always open to the gorilla glue man where a fire hydrant sticks to him and completely covers him up.

It's more important that Hogan be productive in this game. Brady is going to throw a lot. I'll chalk it up to Hogan knocking off the rust but he's had two playoff games to do that so hopefully he'll look more like himself on a Sunday. Life would be easier with an effective #3 receiver.

Burkhead is less important at this point. We've played much of the season without him or in a limited role.

I think Hogan will have a big game. Listening to all the pundits talk about Phillys strategy leads me to believe cooks or Hogan can have a good game.

I think they will both breakout in this game. Let’s say hogan gets 80 yds and one touchdown. Burkhead runs for 40 and catches for 70 and one td. Gronk gets 87 yards. Lewis rushes for 100 and catches for 30. Cooks catches for 73 yds and a td

Harrison gets four sacks, a strip, fumble recovery, an interception and two defensive scores plus one safety

Gostkowski

It's more important that Hogan be productive in this game. Brady is going to throw a lot. I'll chalk it up to Hogan knocking off the rust but he's had two playoff games to do that so hopefully he'll look more like himself on a Sunday. Life would be easier with an effective #3 receiver.

Burkhead is less important at this point. We've played much of the season without him or in a limited role.
If we can get a decent game from Chris Hogan, our chances of seeing victory go up drastically. I’m a bit skeptical simply due to seeing how he’s looked after the return from injury.

Just to put it into perspective, we got 95/180/57 yards from him in the three postseason games last year, and so far have gotten 4/20 from him this season...without Edelman and Mitchell. We could really use another receiving option for Sunday, so even a mediocre game from Hogan would be huge.

Yes. More confident about Hogan being ready. Bulkhead's knee may need some off season repair work.
See, for whatever reason I’m thinking the opposite. I’m more confident about Burkhead contributing on several catches than I am Hogan.

Hopefully, we get something from both.

I would very, very seriously consider activating Gillislee & Britt ahead of Burkhead & Hogan, both of whom have been almost completely useless since their return from injuries this postseason.

And I would absolutely activate David Harris ahead of lil' Elandon Roberts, who I fear will be the most likely Pats defender (along with Harmon) of taking the wrong angle that allows a huge, possibly loss-causing gain to occur.

I would very, very seriously consider activating Gillislee & Britt ahead of Burkhead & Hogan, both of whom have been almost completely useless since their return from injuries this postseason.

And I would absolutely activate David Harris ahead of lil' Elandon Roberts, who I fear will be the most likely Pats defender (along with Harmon) of taking the wrong angle that allows a huge, possibly loss-causing gain to occur.
Big money on Philadelphia?

Gillislee ahead of Burkhead is something I could consider. Burkhead looked like he was rushed back too soon. If he still looks like that it might be a good idea to activate Gillislee ahead of him. You're totally out of your mind wanting to activate Britt ahead of Hogan, though. Hogan has looked healthier in every game he's played and is a threat in the red zone. Activating Harris over Roberts (who I'm not overly wild about either) playing a team like the Eagles is laughable. I honestly think I farted and need to check my pants due to laughing so hard at that idea.

Big money on Philadelphia?

I would guess so. Either that, or he's suffering from insomnia. Two out of three of those ideas are hilariously bad.

Burkhead was fine until he took a shot in the back on the pass play. Vs Philly they need pass catchers out of the backfield as the running game will be tough sledding. Not a game for Gillislee.

Britt over Hogan in the biggest game of the year? No. No. No.

Roberts played fine vs JAX plus he has more speed than Harris.

I have no idea if these guys will be a big part of the game plan, but the beauty of that is neither does Philly. They were both big parts of the offense before injuries and are now supposedly healthy. That gives the Pats more options and will make it really difficult for Philly to prepare for.

Hogan had a couple "clunker" games this season, in terms of catch rate, before he was injured
...- wk-1 v. KCY = 1/5, 8 yds
... wk-6 @NYJ = 1/4, 19 yds.

In the other 6 games of those first 8, he caught between 70% and 80% for just under 70 yds, and all five of his regular season TDs.

Even if Hogan's not close enough to 100% to consistently get open and make catches, he still consistently runs the correct routes as designed and, thus clears out space in coverage for others. He's also made a couple of crucial blocks this post-season, so that part of his game is back, at least. He'll be of value on the field in the SB, even if he doesn't have a big receiving day.

Burkhead played only 3 snaps in the AFCCG v. JAX ... 1 rush for 5yds before taking a knee to his back and missing the rest of the game. He's not been listed on the injury report since then, though.

As a rusher in his 10 games this season, Burkhead had only 3 games with a 5.0+ YPA, 5 games with a YPA between 3.0 and 3.75, and two games around 1.50 YPA. One of those two "clunker" games was in wk-14 @.MIA, when the Pats couldn't run the ball at all (minus Gronk, and with Hogan still in pretty bad shape).

As a receiver, though, Burkhead caught 100% of his tgts in 6 of 10 games and 75% in two other games. He's also been targeted nearly twice as often as Lewis on a per-game-played basis, so he could be a good target to have out there for Brady.

Hogan has been pretty invisible in the playoffs thus far, but hes healthy. Wonder if its shaking off the rust?

before his injury he was on pace for a huge season.

Just watch though, he will probably break out in the super-bowl for a big game after I say this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back