PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Building your own Patriots’ roster depth chart position by position - week 1: QB

Status
Not open for further replies.
tatepatsfan said:
I'm going with:

1. Brady
2. Cassell
3. Fiedler

I think Cassell and Fiedler go into TC fighting for the backup spot and Cassell wins it.

Bingo, we have a winner.......

bump......

I think Flutie will be back for one more season, if he thinks that he has something to offer as a kind of wise old head for Brady, and more particularly, for Cassell, to bounce things off.

In other words, I doubt if he would particularly mind slipping to third string as long as he feels that he has a role. Of course he wants to get on the field, but he seems to get a kick out of helping younger players, at this point in his career.

I think that's why he made the comment a couple of weeks ago where he seemed to say that he hoped BB would talk him out of retiring. I don't think it was that he wanted to hear that he would play. I think it was that he wanted to hear that he would have a meaningful role.

My guess:

Brady
Cassel
Flutie

Malaysia, this is a tight concept.
Further, you have executed the first round very well.
Like many others, i'm sure, i look forward to tugging on my one string while it goes forward.

PFnV, brilliant diagnosis!

But who said? that Kevin Faulk should be the third qb.
For a week or so i've been flirting with carrying only 2 QBs into the season.
But that's only because i want Troy under center ... in that wicked alternate universe
where the two ahead of him are unavailable.

First choice for third (or second) place would be Fiedler ... for reasons already made plain.
Alas, as mock GM i wouldn't offer him much more than a million dollars.
And i don't believe that he is ready to accept such a disrespectful denouement to his career.
Therefore, he won't be joining our merry band.

Doug would be fine as the third. And fillip's insights give rise to some hope that this may yet come to be.
But why does he think that genius (BB) must pay homage to seniority (DF)?

I would think the big X factor is how much Flutie brings to the team in intangibles...basically behind the scenes. How much he helps with Cassel and how much he helps Brady with small subtle things that a vet would notice..see. How much he helps with game plans. I don't think at this point any of us know what that X factor is. Brady did say he would like him to return, but was this just a goodwill gesture or a bit deeper and more meaningful.
If this factor that Flutie brings is much more than what other vets MAY bring to the table, then I would think he would return. That is IF his contribution is more than marginal. If his knowledge and helpfulness is more than a Fiedler or other vet QB, then he has more of a chance of returning.
But if it isn't that big a deal, than it may be possible that Bramlett or Mortenson might be the 3rd QB....that is also if Matt Cassel is deemed ready to be the backup. There's a few things going on that have to be balanced. If Bramlett is as impressive as he has been, this may be another large factor.
And the ice on the shoulder could certainly be....the start of an injury.
But the X factor..the part we do not see understand is the key.

Box_O_Rocks said:
FBN is correct in questioning the 'greatness' of my football mind! :D

That sad truth said, you've instigated some interesting discussion with this thread, not the least is PFinVA's excellent expose of that Brady kid. ;)

Regarding Todd Mortenson: He got his first start for Hamburg, and they won their first game. :cool:
What media is following NFLE is giving Brock Berlin the credit because he (for the first time in 8 weeks) came in as the 2nd string guy and pitched 3 TDs without giving up an interception - big woof, Todd came into the week with a 60+% completion record (1 int which came on an end of half 4th and goal effort - really horrible red zone play calling) while his two colleagues with more playing time and practice reps were unable to break 50%. Todd has been the more consistent QB, protecting the ball and moving the sticks. His biggest problem is receivers with hands like mine.

My depth chart based on the current roster:

1. Tommy
2. Matt Cassel
3. Todd Mortenson

A vet for the scout team makes sense, but a quality control assistant can do that too, I think we can safely say Tommy is ready to manage his back-ups. What we really need is a QB Coach and OC who will crawl up Tommy's backside when he starts doing his Lord Favre imitation, trying to win the game single-handedly instead of taking what the defense gives him.

Consider your private message answered - well, I haven't gotten to it yet, but despite being smarter than a Box_O_Rocks, I have no problem with your concept - what a cool idea! :rofl: - and expect this will answer your note.

"Hang in there, don't let the Nuts get you down," he said with a mischievous grin in lieu of the verboten fifth smilie.
I give Todd Mortenson a plug and he goes out and has a bad quarter, not to say his coaching impressed me, but that has more to do with their unhealthy affection for Brock Berlin's 'Lord Favre-like' arm strength.

Todd's first snap from center went on the ground to Rhein's defense for a turnover. From my inexpert viewpoint, the DT started up a split second before the snap and panicked the Center who reacted to the movement rather then focus on the exchange. But, I'm only guessing from my ignorance. On the second series, in a 3rd and medium situation, the play call had Todd take a one step drop and throw outside to a WR doing a curl 'outside' one step past the 1st down marker - horrible play call as NE's Antwan Spann swooped in to 'brick-hand' the ball and slap himself for dropping a sure TD. Todd doesn't have the arm strength to rocket the ball out that far in such tight situations (he reminds me of a younger Brady, I think his arm strength will improve with Woicik's help). On his third series, he overthrew Scott McCready and the ball was bobbled and dropped by the DB. The color man pondered that the ball got away from him, I was wondering if there wasn't a QB/WR miscommunication, either way it looked bad.

Brock Berlin played the rest of the game (he was the Hamburg starter all season) and promptly drove his team down the field in his best Lord Favre gun slinger fashion, throwing an int for a 100 yd TD return at the goal line. He had two balls batted down and another int called back because the DB violated the Polian rule and touched the WR past 5 yards. Hamburg's defense won the game, shutting down Rhein, and Brock Berlin gets the credit in the media, but I have to say I like the Pats Todd Mortenson better when he's been on the field and can't wait to see what he does in Pre-Season with McDaniels and Brady working with him.

Cory Bramlet sounds interesting from what has been written this weekend, it sounds like he and Mortenson give BB some solid young competition for that 3rd QB slot. Now that Dougie has made his decision, BB may be ready to consider another vet QB, and probably will bring one in, but I'm inclined to think Cassel has done enough to back up Tommy, and Tommy himself is ready to be the "Vet QB".

Okay Malaysia, it's a new week, which position is next on your agenda?

Last edited by a moderator:
As expected most of the discussion has been on whether Cassel is ready to be the #2 QB and if/who the Pats might pick up as a vet QB. Now that Flutie has officially retired if the Pats don't move soon on getting a vet QB I think it means that they are happy with Cassel as the #2. There have also been some interested discussions on Bramlet and Mortenson here and in other threads. It will be interesting to see more of these guys in the pre-season. If the Pats do pick up a vet QB, then we could have a interesting discussion about the risks of sticking a promising young QB on the PS.

Moving on to RB/FB -
http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showthread.php?t=36037

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye