PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Building your own Patriots’ roster depth chart position by position - week 1: QB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Building your own Patriots’ roster depth chart position by position - week 1: QB

The offseason is too long. Hopefully this will help keep us sane until training camp starts. I am inspired by Box O Rocks’s Build Your Own Draft Board Position By Position thread (http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showthread.php?t=31242) to start a Build Your Own Patriots’ Roster Depth Chart Position By Position thread. I hope this will create some interesting arguments (er - I mean discussions) about the roster.

Here's the project: Using the current Patriots’ roster as your starting point, put together a roster depth chart for each position. Please explain why the player is ranked ahead and/or behind the other players at that position. You may rank some players the same as long as you generally show your view of the depth chart at that position. Since there are likely to be a few roster changes you may include players not currently on the Patriots’ roster, but please try be realistic by choosing players who are 1) currently available, 2) might reasonably be acquired by trade or 3) are likely to be cut by their current team.

Current Roster:
http://www.patriots.com/team/index.cfm?ac=Rosters&Print=yes

Free Agent Listings:
http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=211&p=9&c=12&nid=83&lnid=83&yr=2006
http://www.kffl.com/static/nfl/features/freeagents/fa.php?y=2006
http://www.nfl.com/freeagency/afc-unrestricted
http://www.nfl.com/freeagency/nfc-unrestricted

(Please feel free to let us know about other good links for free agent information)

You may update your posts as the Patriots’ current roster changes and there are changes in players who are available to be acquired. For no particular reason, I am starting with the offense.

Week 1: QB
Week 2: RB/FB
Week 3: WR
Week 4: TE
Week 5: OL
Week 6: DL
Week 7: LB
Week 8: CB
Week 9: S
Week 10: ST
Week 11:
Put together a final 53 player roster based on your position boards. You may include some extra players who would be added to the roster if some of your 53 players get injured.

Let the discussion begin.

QB Depth Chart

Current Roster: Tom Brady, Matt Cassel, Corey Bramlet, Todd Mortenson
Some FA’s available: Doug Flutie (he is currently an FA), Jay Fiedler, Shane Matthews

1. Tom Brady (I don’t think I need to list my arguments for this one)

2. Shane Matthews
Just to shake things up a bit I am predicting that Flutie does retire. If Flutie does stay on for another year, then I think this spot is his for the taking. I am hesitant to say Cassel is ready to make the jump to #2 until next year. Even if Cassel was ready to be the #2 QB, I think the Pat’s need a vet QB to run the scout team. I expect BB to get a journeyman QB with a lot of experience. Kerry Collins (I don’t want him anyway because he has too many turnovers) and Jay Fiedler probably want to go to a team where they have a better chance to get playing time, though I wouldn’t mind getting Fiedler. None of the vet QB FA's available really excites me. Though I admit that Shane Matthews isn’t too exciting either, I think he may be a serviceable option.

3. Matt Cassel
He needs another year to learn the system and get valuable experience. I expect him to go to NFLE next year.

4. Corey Bramlet and Todd Mortenson
They will battle it out for a chance to stick on the Practice Squad. I have not seen either one play so I am looking for some interesting information and discussion from you. I don’t see the Pat’s keeping 4 QBs or either of these players moving ahead of Cassel and a vet QB (as yet to be determined).

Bardy goes down in week one, and you would rather see Shame Matthews playing QB instead of Matt Cassel?

And why would Matt Cassel need a another year to learn the system? Does he have Alzheimers? He knew the system okay against Miami.

1. Brady
2. Cassel
3. some vet or rookie or Kevin Faulk who cares because if Brady and Cassel go down our season is in the toilet anyway

Last edited:
You guys haven't heard Brady is overrated?

1. Matt Cassel
2. Tom Brady (if necessary)
3. Flutie/[your favorite veteran here] (only in case of dire emergency)

I base this order on the following facts:
1. We didn't win the super bowl last year, although Brady was still playing quarterback. So obviously he wasn't that good in the first place.
2. He's not Brett Favre, which according to TO was Donovan McNabb's problem last year. Since Brady's not Brett Favre either, pretty clearly he shares this trait with McNabb. I bet both of them together didn't have Favre's 29 interceptions, so obviously they didn't have that "gunslinger mentality" you need at the position.
3. Adam Vinatieri won all three of the Patriots' super bowls. Duh.
4. Last year Brady threw for 4000+ yards, but only 20 odd touchdowns (again.) So obviously he has a weak arm and cannot throw the long ball.
5. Matt Cassel almost won a meaningless game against the Miami Dolphins. Since he's young and untested, that counts as a win. He's therefore never lost a game for us.
6. Since everybody always hopes any QB we pick up is the next Tom Brady, overrated as he may be, the only way for it to happen is for the current QB - Tom Brady - to be shuffled out of the way and for the new guy to come out of nowhere. I still have no idea why we got rid of Cliff Klingsbury and Rohan Davey.

Now, if any of you bozos don't see the logic behind this, it's your misfortune. Matt Cassel WILL be our #1 QB in 2006!

:rolleyes:

PFnV

PatsFanInVa said:

1. Matt Cassel

1. We didn't win the super bowl last year, although Brady was still playing quarterback. So obviously he wasn't that good in the first place.
2. He's not Brett Favre, which according to TO was Donovan McNabb's problem last year. Since Brady's not Brett Favre either, pretty clearly he shares this trait with McNabb. I bet both of them together didn't have Favre's 29 interceptions, so obviously they didn't have that "gunslinger mentality" you need at the position.
4. Last year Brady threw for 4000+ yards, but only 20 odd touchdowns (again.) So obviously he has a weak arm and cannot throw the long ball.
5. Matt Cassel almost won a meaningless game against the Miami Dolphins. Since he's young and untested, that counts as a win. He's therefore never lost a game for us.
6. Since everybody always hopes any QB we pick up is the next Tom Brady, overrated as he may be, the only way for it to happen is for the current QB - Tom Brady - to be shuffled out of the way and for the new guy to come out of nowhere. I still have no idea why we got rid of Cliff Klingsbury and Rohan Davey.

Now, if any of you bozos don't see the logic behind this, it's your misfortune. Matt Cassel WILL be our #1 QB in 2006!

PFnV

That's pretty stupid. Cassell was a 7th round draft choice. Brady was a 6th rounder. So obviously, Brady is better!

On a serious note, there is no QB help out there. Let's hope Cassell is ready to be the #2 guy. Call me crazy (which I know many of you will), but I wouldn't mind it if the vet 3rd stringer is Vinny Testaverde.

I'm going with:

1. Brady
2. Cassell
3. Fiedler

I think Cassell and Fiedler go into TC fighting for the backup spot and Cassell wins it.

bucky said:
That's pretty stupid. Cassell was a 7th round draft choice. Brady was a 6th rounder. So obviously, Brady is better!

On a serious note, there is no QB help out there. Let's hope Cassell is ready to be the #2 guy. Call me crazy (which I know many of you will), but I wouldn't mind it if the vet 3rd stringer is Vinny Testaverde.

Re-ti-red.

Why a Vet over Cassel

spacecrime said:
Brady goes down in week one, and you would rather see Shame Matthews playing QB instead of Matt Cassel?

And why would Matt Cassel need a another year to learn the system? Does he have Alzheimers? He knew the system okay against Miami.

1. Brady
2. Cassel
3. some vet or rookie or Kevin Faulk who cares because if Brady and Cassel go down our season is in the toilet anyway

Maybe saying "another year to learn the system" was a bad way to put it. I like Cassel and think he shows good potential, but how many real games has he played in since high school? I don't care that he was just a 7th round draft pick, but I do care that he has very little real game experience. I hope he is ready to be the #2, but I do have doubts and am not ready to anoint him as our #2 QB just yet. Maybe sometime during the season. (Besides, it generates more discussion if I say something controversial ;) )

I am also not just looking at the QB depth in case (God forbid) that Brady gets hurt. I am looking at the value of a developmental QB that could have trade value and a vet QB for the scout team and general QB "coaching" assistance.

MalaysiaPatsFan said:
Maybe saying "another year to learn the system" was a bad way to put it. I like Cassel and think he shows good potential, but how many real games has he played in since high school? I don't care that he was just a 7th round draft pick, but I do care that he has very little real game experience. I hope he is ready to be the #2, but I do have doubts and am not ready to anoint him as our #2 QB just yet. Maybe sometime during the season.
What will cause you to change your mind during the season? By mid-season he will have played exactly as many games as he played today.

As far as how may games he play since high school (by which I guess you mean in college), it was a lot less that Akili Smith, Tim Couch, and other notables. How many NCAA QBs were good enough to almost beat out Leinart to replace Palmer?

Think of it as NFL experience. Cassel has thrown more NFL passes that Leinart, Young and Cutler combined. And he has thrown more NFL TDs and fewer INTs that last year's first round pick.

PatsFanInVa said:

1. Matt Cassel

PFnV
HES KIDDING! :eek:

Kdo5 said:
HES KIDDING! :eek:

Who's Hes? ;)

Thank you for noting the sarcasm 1 hour, 38 minutes after the fact. :D

Brady

Cassell

any scrub from NFLE

If Flutie doesn't come back, how bout Kerry Collins? I would
feel much more comfortable with him under C than Cassel if
TB's injured for a couple of games.

Well first string is a no brainer.

I think Flutie retires. Conventional wisdom says BB would pick a veteran who has experience in the AFC, particularly the AFC East. As far as I can see, Fiedler is the better option there. Matthews played in Buffalo but Fiedler's experience as both a starter and back up in the division and on playoff teams would be great if the worst should happen. He has also shown that he can come into a game in a pinch. Didn't he replace Marino at Foxboro and lead a second half comeback in the late 90's? Another option, acording to the scout.com list, could be Tommy Maddox but I don't think he would fit in well here.

Cassel would be the third string qb to start the season.

Cassel would have no pressure on him should Brady ever not be able to play in a late season/post season game. Fiedler has done it before and that should count for something vs a kid who has played one regular season game since high school. I think Cassel will be a solid qb in time but right now I'd rather have a vetarn in front of him.

1. Brady
2. Fiedler
3. Cassell

I believe Flutie will retire. What does he gain by coming back? He would have to battle to just be the backup.

I think Kerry Collins would look for a team that he can at least compete for the starting job. Fiedler looks like the best option to me, edging out Cassell for the backup spot.

#1 T Brady: I really think this kid has some potential

#2 M Casell: He looked good in his NFL debut, and has put a lot of time in at Gilette this offseason, he will if need perform as well as a retread vet.

#3 D Flutie: hasn't announced to avoid the offseason program, why? He is strong enough to hold the clipboard and keep TB company in the film room. A virtual QB coach. Hope he gets a SB ring this year ;-)

#4 PS player, Bramlett

Sorry ... can't reply to a thread themed upon Box's great football mind. Excuse me for saying...but this thread is way not cool.

What is wrong with it?

F.B.N. said:
Sorry ... can't reply to a thread themed upon Box's great football mind. Excuse me for saying...but this thread is way not cool.

:confused:
I give Box credit for gving me the idea for this thread and even provide a link to his thread. I fail to see how this is offensive to Box or anyone else. Box, if this thread does offend you in any way then please let me know and accept my apology and I will certainly drop it.

MalaysiaPatsFan said:
I give Box credit for gving me the idea for this thread and even provide a link to his thread. I fail to see how this is offensive to Box or anyone else. Box, if this thread does offend you in any way then please let me know and accept my apology and I will certainly drop it.
FBN is correct in questioning the 'greatness' of my football mind! :D

That sad truth said, you've instigated some interesting discussion with this thread, not the least is PFinVA's excellent expose of that Brady kid. ;)

Regarding Todd Mortenson: He got his first start for Hamburg, and they won their first game. :cool:
What media is following NFLE is giving Brock Berlin the credit because he (for the first time in 8 weeks) came in as the 2nd string guy and pitched 3 TDs without giving up an interception - big woof, Todd came into the week with a 60+% completion record (1 int which came on an end of half 4th and goal effort - really horrible red zone play calling) while his two colleagues with more playing time and practice reps were unable to break 50%. Todd has been the more consistent QB, protecting the ball and moving the sticks. His biggest problem is receivers with hands like mine.

My depth chart based on the current roster:

1. Tommy
2. Matt Cassel
3. Todd Mortenson

A vet for the scout team makes sense, but a quality control assistant can do that too, I think we can safely say Tommy is ready to manage his back-ups. What we really need is a QB Coach and OC who will crawl up Tommy's backside when he starts doing his Lord Favre imitation, trying to win the game single-handedly instead of taking what the defense gives him.

Consider your private message answered - well, I haven't gotten to it yet, but despite being smarter than a Box_O_Rocks, I have no problem with your concept - what a cool idea! :rofl: - and expect this will answer your note.

"Hang in there, don't let the Nuts get you down," he said with a mischievous grin in lieu of the verboten fifth smilie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes