PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bruins Playoff Discussion Thread

Never said it was, but winning the Cup begins and ends with the goalie. Rask has convinced me that he is not that goalie.
Rask has played well in these playoffs, and while 4 goals on 16 shots isn’t going to get it done anytime in the NHL the defensive breakdowns were the real issue, This is a tough match up, and it won’t get any easier going forward. The Bruins have to step it up significantly if they want to get any farther.

Rask has played well in these playoffs, and while 4 goals on 16 shots isn’t going to get it done anytime in the NHL the defensive breakdowns were the real issue, This is a tough match up, and it won’t get any easier going forward. The Bruins have to step it up significantly if they want to get any farther.
The problem is Rask's track record since taking over after Tim Thomas. I've been a Rask fan the whole time, but I'm okay if they let him walk after this season. From his game 6 performance against the Blackhawks in 2013, bailing on the playoffs under the bubble last year, game 7 against the Blues in 2019 and several others in between it's always something with him. He lacks that certain mental toughness that an NHL goalie need to take to the next level in the playoffs.

The problem is Rask's track record since taking over after Tim Thomas. I've been a Rask fan the whole time, but I'm okay if they let him walk after this season. From his game 6 performance against the Blackhawks in 2013, bailing on the playoffs under the bubble last year, game 7 against the Blues in 2019 and several others in between it's always something with him. He lacks that certain mental toughness that an NHL goalie need to take to the next level in the playoffs.

And don't forget his role in blowing the 3 - 0 series lead vs Philthadelphia in the 2010 ECF.

The Bruins of the 2010s are the NHL’s version of the 90s Atlanta Braves. If not for Tim Thomas standing on his head in a few key games in 2011 (and do remember he had a few stinkers as well) the modern era of the Bruins would basically be the same as the San Jose Sharks. Seriously start in 2008 and go season by season. So many incredible regular seasons that ended in playoff disappointment.

Two goals in 17 seconds. Almost as bad as the Helmet Catch.

Granted, I’ve only just recently started seriously watching the NHL, but when I watch the Lightning play, Vasilevskiy just looks like an absolute brick wall compared to Rask. His reaction speed compared to Rask’s just looks night and day to me.

The Bruins of the 2010s are the NHL’s version of the 90s Atlanta Braves. If not for Tim Thomas standing on his head in a few key games in 2011 (and do remember he had a few stinkers as well) the modern era of the Bruins would basically be the same as the San Jose Sharks. Seriously start in 2008 and go season by season. So many incredible regular seasons that ended in playoff disappointment.

Speaking of SJ...

18BostonZach HamillCEverett Silvertips [WHL]2004442011-12
19San JoseLogan CoutureCOttawa 67's [OHL]7682733045772142020-21

Dorothy was the ChiaPet's first "official" draft pick as GM of the Bruins....And except for the Toronto picks (Tyler Seguin & Doug Hamilton) it didn't get any better...until, ironically, his last draft with them.

That’s not an unfair analysis, but who do you replace him with, because if isn’t a top tier goalie you have gone backwards and made the ultimate goal harder to attain. As much as I want the Bruins to win the Stanley Cup I don’t believe they are the best team in hockey, and that’s showing in this series. Could they win it? Yes. Should they win it, probably not, I don’t put Rask at the top of the re-sign group
Granted, I’ve only just recently started seriously watching the NHL, but when I watch the Lightning play, Vasilevskiy just looks like an absolute brick wall compared to Rask. His reaction speed compared to Rask’s just looks night and day to me.
The Lightning have the best goalie, defenseman, and scoring forwards in hockey, they are the cream of it the crop.

Rask is a great regular season goaltender and usually performs well in the playoffs but when the game truly mattered the most he never played well.

The Bruins, one of the most storied franchises in the NHL, have won only 3 Cups in 70 years. That shouldn’t happen.

That’s not an unfair analysis, but who do you replace him with, because if isn’t a top tier goalie you have gone backwards and made the ultimate goal harder to attain. As much as I want the Bruins to win the Stanley Cup I don’t believe they are the best team in hockey, and that’s showing in this series. Could they win it? Yes. Should they win it, probably not, I don’t put Rask at the top of the re-sign group

The Lightning have the best goalie, defenseman, and scoring forwards in hockey, they are the cream of it the crop.
If you don't think you can win the Cup with Rask then what's the point. His price will be too high, you have two potential NHL-ready goalies in Swayman and Vladar plus you can always pick up a veteran back-up like Halak, Ullmark or Bernier if need be. I would much rather see them sign Taylor Hall, resign Krecji, Miller and another defenseman if possible. Besides, I have a feeling Rask will want out of Boston anyways and could very well end up in a Kraken jersey next season.

Last edited:

Not ideal with backs against the wall and Rask <100%.

If you don't think you can win the Cup with Rask then what's the point. His price will be too high, you have two potential NHL-ready goalies in Swayman and Vladar plus you can always pick up a veteran back-up like Halak, Ullmark or Bernier if need be. I would much rather see them sign Taylor Hall, resign Krecji, Miller and another defenseman if possible. Besides, I have a feeling Rask will want out of Boston anyways and could very well end up in a Kraken jersey next season.
I think there's a much better chance rask retires. And the only way the kraken can get him is if they sign him. He's a free agent. If he doesn't retire. i hope the bruins let him walk and go with swayman.

Fcuk all the Rask haters, he's our goalie and he has the skills, but he can't do it by himself. It's a team sport. Let's take the next two and go kick some lightning ass.

the bigger the moment gets, the smaller rask gets

that's a fact backed up by the data, and he never has a hot streak when we need it most

i'll still root for them to win next 2 and finally another cup, but i wouldn't put money on it

saying that, our defense does some real stupid moves that end up hanging our goalies out to dry way too often

Rask is a snowflake who bailed on the Bruins last post season. Charas last shot to win another cup with the B's.

They had a safe space for him but that was not good enough. He probably drives around in his car alone with a mask on. Idiot.

I think you can win a cup with Rask, if he plays his best throughout the playoffs, other than that I agree with everything you said. I would prioritize Hall and Krecji. However when the playoffs come who ever you have in goal is going to have to play lights out to win it all, the NHL is simply loaded with great talent.

Rask is a snowflake who bailed on the Bruins last post season. Charas last shot to win another cup with the B's.

They had a safe space for him but that was not good enough. He probably drives around in his car alone with a mask on. Idiot.
This is just a stupid post. Idiot.

Fcuk all the Rask haters, he's our goalie and he has the skills, but he can't do it by himself. It's a team sport. Let's take the next two and go kick some lightning ass.

Agree. I like this team but they will have to step up and play lights out the rest of the way to win the Cup. It won’t be easy but they can do it.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Back