PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Browns trade Shelton to Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.
The difference here is that many people knew and liked Shelton during the draft process and actually looked at his college footage. Whereas your opinion is based on a Browns fan giving an opinion on a football player on a team that went 1-31 in the last two years..

We essentially got him for free in terms of draft value. It is a low risk, high reward scenario... not sure this trade can be topped by anything really..

This is absolutely a freakin steal. I wanted the Pats to use one of their first two picks on a NT and they get a former high first rounder from the 2015 draft. Now the Pats still have their first two picks and a stud NT with NFL experience.

My God this is huge. Literally and figuratively. haha

I'm ok on Dine now now we need outside pass rushers.
Maybe one more piece to the secondary

Shelton and VV will improve the pass rush by default. Focus on the LB speed. Although this team as a whole just took a huge step up.

I disagree. The front is set now. Focus on the LB's. The front has two rotational big bodies in VV and Shelton + Brown, Guy and Butler as DL's. That's solid as hell.

Hightower, T. Flowers as LB/DE's.. + Rivers??

That's looking pretty damn good to me.

I think it fits Wise perfectly. And I think this gives them all sorts of flexibility to run hybrid defenses as well as any front they want. With Hightower, Rivers and Langi returning, and the addition of Shelton, I am feeling much better about this defense. There’s still work they can do but this is going to be a better defense than last season as it stands now,

A few random thoughts on this trade:

a) We have to look at this trade from a different viewpoint than Browns fans. They say he is overrated from the viewpoint of being the #12 pick in 2015. We are losing 40 spots I believe in the middle of the draft. There is some risk with the possibility of a good reward at He end.

2) with being the #12 pick in the draft, maybe he was asked to do more than he was capable (just spitballing here). I think he'll come New England and have a defined role and prove effective.

And d) Maybe they are gonna turn it around an hopefully so, but playing for Cleveland is a career sucking drain that can take a toll on anyone's career. Hopefully New England will provide a jumpstart to his career.

Just an opinion from a Pats fan in Southern Illinois.

I like most of your post except your annotation. a) 2) And d) ???:D

Get him on the TB12 program and he’ll be lights out!! And no, I’m not suggesting he loses a bunch of weight. He definitely looks like he could put on a few more pounds of muscle and shed a bit of fat though.
Avocado ice cream? Yuck!

Seems like a fun loving guy already.

It's hard to have a pass rush when your NT is shoved out of position or knocked on his ass half the time leaving the LB's to clean up the mess. This frees up the pass rush. This unleashes the DE's. VV and Shelton in rotation are exactly what the doctor ordered.

I agree with getting a speedy LB. But damn this move has solidified the LOS and improved the pass rush.
Agreed on all fronts. Now we don’t have to worry as much about d-line. Add a few udfa’s or some low cost guys for competition. Brown and guy can play DE&DT. I’m really hopeful we see Wise make a leap this year. Solidify the OLB spots, and we should be looking solid. Maybe draft a DE.

This is absolutely a freakin steal. I wanted the Pats to use one of their first two picks on a NT and they get a former high first rounder from the 2015 draft. Now the Pats still have their first two picks and a stud NT with NFL experience.

My God this is huge. Literally and figuratively. haha
I’m a big fan of hopefully filling all of your needs before the draft and then being able to go BPA. So hell, you may still get your big ass NT in the first few rds. I wouldn’t mind!

Last edited:
Were we working on this trade and the Bennett trade, or did we only get Shelton because the Bennett trade fell through? Two completely different players, so does that mean we are in the market for another pass rushing DT possibly?

I’m a big fan of hopefully filling all of your needs before the draft and then being able to go BPA. So he’ll, you may still get your big ass NT in the first few rds. I wouldn’t mind!

Not opposed but would hope they could find a solid LB in the draft. If Vea fell to them then you'd have take him.

It gives them more flexibility but a fifth isn’t going to add much trade value in the early rounds. It still helps though.

That's a link to his post in 2015 asking to trade up for Shelton.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents