PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Browns' Barkevious Mingo traded to Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.
46b0f725a59fb336179a6133aebcf6c0_400x400.jpeg

Assuming we got him for minimal draft capital (a 6th or so, since he's entering UFA after this season), I like the trade purely from a talent perspective. Worth noting that Mike Lombardi--most recently of the Pats, and a Belichick disciple--drafted him.

That said, I have to wonder where he fits on this team. Seems like the clear fit is at DE, which makes me wonder if a) Ninkovich and/or Sheard is more injured than we realize, or b) if Grissom and/or Flowers has underperformed in practice. Even with Ninkovich hurt and Jones traded away, I wouldn't have guessed that DE was a position the Pats were targeting to upgrade. Ninkovich (whenever he gets back), Long, Sheard, Flowers, Grissom seems like a pretty solid depth chart. Especially when McClellin can take some snaps there too. If Mingo is coming here as a DE, that almost requires a surprise cut, since it's hard to envision them carrying Ninkovich, Sheard, Long, Flowers, Grissom and Mingo.

OTOH, they could be envisioning him at LB, but to the extent that his primary strength appears to be as a pass rusher, that risks making the same mistake that the Browns made. I could see him being a LB who blitzes a ton, as Hightower and Collins currently do. Having some depth at LB with the ability to do that would be great insurance against one/both of them getting hurt again, plus it could give the team options if one of the two main guys gets priced out of their range.

Tough to say what this means, all around. My gut inclination is that the Pats are more worried about one of Ninkovich/Sheard than they're letting on. Or maybe he's just a straight upgrade over McClellin.

Last edited:
Must mean Sheard, McClellan, Ninkovich more hurt than team is letting on...

Hopefully he can do really well here. Helps the situation as a lot of players at that position are banged up

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Yeah he's been a beast this offseason. Wonder why cleveland is giving up in him despite his body transformation.

They want lots and lots of draft picks as part of their rebuild and Mingo was a struggle to make the team. My "yikes" was more directed at the fact that he was the size of a safety, not that of an EDGE player.

Um either one of our guys is hurt bad or Mingo will take a LB spot. Not sure what to think. High upside low risk tho.

The talent on this D is off the charts

I wonder if Gordon is also on the table?
We need a back who does Cleveland have

He's awful. Browns may have used him wrong or whatever but Mingo is just a bad football player overall. Doesn't mean he doesn't have potential (he's very athletic), but it will be a big project to make him become an average NFL player. I hope we didn't give up anything more than a late round pick.

No way he'll play but at least he'll be with the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST