PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brown made a mistake but Tomlin really screwed up

Status
Not open for further replies.
BB would have traded him to the browns while saying what a great talent he is, but he just wasnt a good fit for this team.
no, he would have just said, "i'm just trying to do what's best for the team."

I dont think the op understands that players and coaches on any team view this as a massive betrayal. Big ben expressed public disappointment in brown over this as well. You dont expose your coach and team to critisim to promote yourself like a fool on social media in the lockeroom of all places. The lockeroom is a symbol of the brother in arms, together we stand side of football... and this moron just violated that ethos for pokes and likes on facebook. He deserves every bit of grief he got. If this happened in our lockeroom most players with very few exceptions would be shipped out of town.

I do understand how big a deal this is on Brown's part. He obviously broke the written and unwritten rules of the locker room. That does not mean Tomlin should handle it this way. It is simply not objectively the best way to handle it. Whatever he had to say to Brown should be said in private. A coach does not go tit for tat with a player. A coach is suppose to be the adult in the room and above that if all else fails. He deserves to be given grief surely but doing it in public and saying the things in public he did will not make Brown a better player on Sunday. This should have and could have been handled internally. The media did not need any more fuel to this fire and Tomlin added it.

Yeah, that was weird. In a funny way, Tomlin did exactly what he's pissed at Brown about - air the team's private business. If this happened on the Pats (practically impossible, I know, but for argument's sake) after you located the receiver's body, as someone quipped, BB would have said, "We're aware of it and dealing with it internally." and then, in answer to the 100 follow-up questions, "we're on to Pittsburgh." No throwing the receiver under the bus. No implying that the receiver could or would be off the team for this kind of behavior (whether it's true or not). No embarrassing a guy in public that you need to be 100% focussed for this weekend.

Thanks Tomlin, for making what was an amusing faux pas a major distraction for your own team!

I have a new outlook on this topic.
Previously I felt like this is the AFCCG and if you don't have enough motivation just because of that, all this silly crap isn't going to change you. I felt like bulletin board material was really just a talking point to keep focus on preparation. BB reading the Eagles parade route to the team the night before the SB didn't make anyone play harder, but it probably helped their focus the night before.
HOWEVER, I am now beginning to think that todays player is different.
Look at Antonio Brown primping in front of facebook as how he celebrates winning a playoff game.
Or Brandon Marshall betting his car with AB on twitter over who would catch more passes.
Look at some of the comments from Denver or Seattle, where it really sounds like players care as much about bragging (the defense did its job) than winning. Look at Aaron Hernandez killing 2 people because they disrespected him.
This seems to be the mindset of todays 20-something coming from the typical background of an NFL player.
Its all about look at ME. Perhaps being able to show up someone who talks is a greater motivation to a lot of these players than actually competing and winning.

I do understand how big a deal this is on Brown's part. He obviously broke the written and unwritten rules of the locker room. That does not mean Tomlin should handle it this way. It is simply not objectively the best way to handle it. Whatever he had to say to Brown should be said in private. A coach does not go tit for tat with a player. A coach is suppose to be the adult in the room and above that if all else fails. He deserves to be given grief surely but doing it in public and saying the things in public he did will not make Brown a better player on Sunday. This should have and could have been handled internally. The media did not need any more fuel to this fire and Tomlin added it.

I respectfully disagree.. there is nothing wrong with publically shaming him.. if he were a lesser player there is nothing wrong with cutting him on the spot. You can handle an idiot move in your lockerroom anyway you see fit. He is a valuable player... he acted like a spoiled child.. he is to valuable to cut.. so if you want to shame him for being a child letting everyone else on the team know that if you betray us in a public manner you will also be dealt with publically and face a public firing squad than thats fine. Im guessing this wont happen again.

Last edited:
Instead he went way beyond what he should have done. Even if you argue it was justified or Brown had it coming when you are approaching the AFCCG you don't do what Tomlin did. He is not a player he is a coach. He should be a much more mature and wiser man than Brown. I didn't see that here.

Spot on...

Has anything like this happened to the Patriots in the last 16 years?
The closest thing I can think of is when Wes Welker did not start.

Obviously I am biased but I think Tomlin handled it well. Brown had to be put in his place. Brown started airing it publicly so Tomlin responded in kind.

Perhaps.

Better yet would be if Tomlin's expectations were obvious enough Brown never would have considered it. Keep an issue from happening to begin with.

Wishing for a well-played, low-injury game Sunday.

Has anything like this happened to the Patriots in the last 16 years?
The closest thing I can think of is when Wes Welker did not start.
and when belichick was asked about it....

[URL='http://www.espn.com/boston/nfl/news/story?id=6027863']ESPN: Pats' Welker benched for start of playoff game[/URL]

When asked about the benching, which was first reported on the CBS game broadcast, coach Bill Belichick had only this to say after the game: "I don't have any comment on that."

I dont think the op understands that players and coaches on any team view this as a massive betrayal. Big ben expressed public disappointment in brown over this as well. You dont expose your coach and team to critisim to promote yourself like a fool on social media in the lockeroom of all places. The lockeroom is a symbol of the brother in arms, together we stand side of football... and this moron just violated that ethos for pokes and likes on facebook. He deserves every bit of grief he got. If this happened in our lockeroom most players with very few exceptions would be shipped out of town.

BHaR, no offense-i just used your post, but i could have used 3-4 others.

NOT ALL THE PLAYERS!! Look, how many of his teammates looked at what he was doing, checked out the Hit count, and then DID NOT SAY: 'Shut that down.' Most of them were "ooooh, you got 20K. . ."

Sure, those who didnt want their privies broadcast are equally p.o.ed as those who were overheard saying stupid stuff. But there is probably an equal contingent who Even now wish THEY HAD THAT HIT COUNT.

The good news for us/Pats is that means their lockerroom is not just divided all vs Brown, but also FB'ers vs 'Team'-mate-ers. (Or however you want to define that pseudo-generational difference.

So we all heard of Brown doing the facebook video. Obviously not the smartest move. But no one is talking about the real story imo which is how bad the coach botched this after.

Here is what the correct thing for Tomlin would be to say "The league rules and our rules are clear. What Brown did is against those rules. We plan to handle this internally and will do our best to remind all our players about the league rules so this does not happEN again". That would be fine.

Instead he went way beyond what he should have done. Even if you argue it was justified or Brown had it coming when you are approaching the AFCCG you don't do what Tomlin did. He is not a player he is a coach. He should be a much more mature and wiser man than Brown. I didn't see that here.

He used the words/lines related to Brown "selfish" "foolish" "inconsiderate" Mentioned this could cause Brown to be traded/cut with his bounce from team to team comment. He mentioned the term "time to time" meaning he is bringing up past issues with Brown and throwing it out there letting the media know other things have gone on.

I just can not agree with this from a professional and coaching perspective. You don't publically dress down one of your top players, mention he has had issues in the past and then make a threat he could be off the team if you want him to play at his best. You PARTICULARLY don't do it in public.

This needs to be pointed out as Tomlin doing a horrible coaching job. If Brown is off his game or not ready or is worried about something besides playing football on Sunday Tomlin certainly is partly to blame and has no one to blame but himself.

He has a week to manage this situation, make clear the rules for his player and get him to refocus on the task. I don't know how this can be called the right way to do it.

I think Tomlin coming hard on Brown is a good thing. You can't have diva's when you're trying to win a championship, this sends a good message

This is distracting Steeler fans - 220 posts in the thread below

from The Steelers Fan said:
The video shows exactly why this team is inconsistent, no discipline. The team is full of themselves, the defense lucked out on KC mistakes, 6 dropped passes, the Pats aren't going to do that. We won our super bowl, season is over as our horrendous secondary gets exposed next week. As for spotting them a day and a half, if Tomlin gets the players disciplined then the game would be played at home rather than having to travel. I hope the secondary can improve next season.

What in the world is wrong with AB?

BHaR, no offense-i just used your post, but i could have used 3-4 others.

NOT ALL THE PLAYERS!! Look, how many of his teammates looked at what he was doing, checked out the Hit count, and then DID NOT SAY: 'Shut that down.' Most of them were "ooooh, you got 20K. . ."

Sure, those who didnt want their privies broadcast are equally p.o.ed as those who were overheard saying stupid stuff. But there is probably an equal contingent who Even now wish THEY HAD THAT HIT COUNT.

The good news for us/Pats is that means their lockerroom is not just divided all vs Brown, but also FB'ers vs 'Team'-mate-ers. (Or however you want to define that pseudo-generational difference.

No offense taken. I meant all the players that matter. The leaders of the team, not the teammates that look up to a player like antonio brown cause they will never be what he is and probably will not be in the league 3 years from now. i aslo understand the generational thing but that why 20 year olds dont get to make the rules in the lockeroom. They get to worry about hit counts while the adults get to worry about winning playoff games and superbowls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News