PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Broncos: Easiest path to the #1 seed ever?

Status
Not open for further replies.
And yet the pats still havent beat a winning team on the road.

Nice job cherry picking stats but us rational folks arent buying it. You can post the broncos record for a portion of the season all you want but you also fail to talk about the 2-14 record of the chiefs skewing those numbers....thats spin buddy

Hey, Denver_one, are you done troling yet? Why dont you just skip on back to your hovel?

Yeah but the pats have yet this season to win on the road against a winning team. And the broncos are best at their own turf. So how do the broncos have a tough road to the SB? Arent we going by this season data or should I pull the fact that the broncos own the pats all time?

The Broncos have to finish a 14 game win streak to win the SB, that's a difficult feat, which is why teams rarely do it. In fact it has happened only once in the last 15 years, the 2003 Patriots. The Patriots only played 2 winning teams on the road, the Ravens, who they beat but had a missed FG called good, and the SeaHawks who beat them in a really close game in Seattle, which by all measures is an extremely difficult place to play. On the other hand the Patriots have owned the Broncos under Fox and kicked their ass in Foxboro earlier this season. The Broncos can beat the Patriots, no doubt about that, but my money is on NE and I will have to see it to believe it, because allowing 40 points a game to an opponent over the past three meetigs is hardly a recipe for success.

how a Pats fan can say they arent at all concerned about a team that went 13-3, that has a top 5 off, top 5 defense and top pass rush in football and top 3 run defense... and reason being because they beat them 3 months ago by 10 at home is a bit delusional in my humble opinion...

Who has said that they are not concerned?

I don't recall reading that here.

I think the Pats have every reason to believe they have an excellent chance of coming out on top if they play the Broncos? (I don't assume anything, we have another game to worry about first.)

Do you think the Pats and their fans should despair about playing the Denver juggernaut?

Are Broncos fans concerned about Cincinnati, Baltimore, or Indianapolis or are wins against them a given?

Last edited:
woodyard and DJ Williams have been our coverage LBs now and have both been much better...

Then why did they let Dennis Pitta go 7 for 125 and 2 TD.

i tried lurking for as long as i can but i eventually couldnt resist..

i think NE fans have every right to feel confident but some are going above and beyond to try and convince themselves Denver isn't a good team... easiest path to the #1 seed ever... wow talk about sour grapes... put the haterade down, lol... its not a good look...

as far as the schedule... at the start of the season the schedule was considered the 2nd toughest in the nfl, now its a cupcake...
Denver played 5 playoff teams and numerous bubble playoff teams... they lost to the Texans,Falcons and Pats early on and beat the Bengals and Ravens... the 3 losses have been debated to death on here... Denver's defense shut down the Saints offense, and beat teams that at the time were very much in playoff contention such as TB, SD, and Pit... the Broncos are winning and win convincingly... beating every team by a TD or more... that doesnt happen often in this league... at the end of the day, trying to discredit a team's wins wreaks of desperation... it just isnt a good look...

when NE lost to the cards i didnt blink, i knew the Pats were still a top team... its not easy to win against nfl calibur teams week to week... an 11 game win streak says something about a team whether you want to admit it or not...

teams arent usually arent the same all season long... a lot happens in 4 months... at midseason, the Bears and Texans each looked like the best teams in football while NE and Den were 4-3... and look now...

as a broncos fan, i am concerned about the Pats becasue theyre a good team... they have a dangerous offense to go along with an improving defense... how a Pats fan can say they arent at all concerned about a team that went 13-3, that has a top 5 off, top 5 defense and top pass rush in football and top 3 run defense... and reason being because they beat them 3 months ago by 10 at home is a bit delusional in my humble opinion...

as stated earlier, i am sure the Pats arent the same as when Denver played them last, and i'm sure you can give numerous reasons why... let me touch on how Denver is different...

first off, its a waste to mention the Pats dominance of Denver's d last year... Denver has 8 different on defense from last year... almost complete turnover and also a different defensive coordinator...

however even from when DenNE played this year it is vastly different... not just chemistry wise, but personnel wise... Denver's biggest problem was its coverage LBs against NE... the short passing game crushed them... Joe Mays was the starting mlb and the #1 problem... he couldnt cover and he struggled against the run... he's been since long benched... woodyard and DJ Williams have been our coverage LBs now and have both been much better... also, porter was a starting corner at the time and omar bolden was the 3rd corner... both have been demoted and chris harris has been moved up and tony carter... carter-harris-champ enjoyed a terrific reg season in coverage... if you face Denver this time Brady will be facing a different secondary and LB crew... DJ williams was suspended at the time, he's back and our corners have been terrific... personnell wise the defense is much different and add the chemistry built since, Denver is a different defense now...

none of this means that Denver wins if they play, it just means that putting so much stock into the last game played as the reason for victory is poor logic... both Den and NE are different now...

also, Denver's special teams has improved since... Holiday is a dangerous return man that wasnt on the roster when Den last played NE...

as of now Denver passes the ball at a high level, runs the ball effectively, stops the run as good as any team, and rushes the passer as good as any team... why anyone would be excited about facing that is beyond me...

personally, i am very concerend about NE... they are a great team...

Nice post good to see an adult Broncos fan.

Why I am confident if we play Denver: Manning, Fox and Del Rio. I'm Not a fan of playing there, but Belichick and Brady have owned those three in the playoffs. With Manning winning once in the playoffs and needed a whole lot to bounce his way to do it.

Last edited:
So how do the broncos have a tough road to the SB? Arent we going by this season data or should I pull the fact that the broncos own the pats all time?

Should I pull the fact that John Fox, Del Rio and Peyton Manning lose more than win vs BB?

i tried lurking for as long as i can but i eventually couldnt resist..

i think NE fans have every right to feel confident but some are going above and beyond to try and convince themselves Denver isn't a good team... easiest path to the #1 seed ever... wow talk about sour grapes... put the haterade down, lol... its not a good look...

as far as the schedule... at the start of the season the schedule was considered the 2nd toughest in the nfl, now its a cupcake...
Denver played 5 playoff teams and numerous bubble playoff teams... they lost to the Texans,Falcons and Pats early on and beat the Bengals and Ravens... the 3 losses have been debated to death on here... Denver's defense shut down the Saints offense, and beat teams that at the time were very much in playoff contention such as TB, SD, and Pit... the Broncos are winning and win convincingly... beating every team by a TD or more... that doesnt happen often in this league... at the end of the day, trying to discredit a team's wins wreaks of desperation... it just isnt a good look...

when NE lost to the cards i didnt blink, i knew the Pats were still a top team... its not easy to win against nfl calibur teams week to week... an 11 game win streak says something about a team whether you want to admit it or not...

teams arent usually arent the same all season long... a lot happens in 4 months... at midseason, the Bears and Texans each looked like the best teams in football while NE and Den were 4-3... and look now...

as a broncos fan, i am concerned about the Pats becasue theyre a good team... they have a dangerous offense to go along with an improving defense... how a Pats fan can say they arent at all concerned about a team that went 13-3, that has a top 5 off, top 5 defense and top pass rush in football and top 3 run defense... and reason being because they beat them 3 months ago by 10 at home is a bit delusional in my humble opinion...

as stated earlier, i am sure the Pats arent the same as when Denver played them last, and i'm sure you can give numerous reasons why... let me touch on how Denver is different...

first off, its a waste to mention the Pats dominance of Denver's d last year... Denver has 8 different on defense from last year... almost complete turnover and also a different defensive coordinator...

however even from when DenNE played this year it is vastly different... not just chemistry wise, but personnel wise... Denver's biggest problem was its coverage LBs against NE... the short passing game crushed them... Joe Mays was the starting mlb and the #1 problem... he couldnt cover and he struggled against the run... he's been since long benched... woodyard and DJ Williams have been our coverage LBs now and have both been much better... also, porter was a starting corner at the time and omar bolden was the 3rd corner... both have been demoted and chris harris has been moved up and tony carter... carter-harris-champ enjoyed a terrific reg season in coverage... if you face Denver this time Brady will be facing a different secondary and LB crew... DJ williams was suspended at the time, he's back and our corners have been terrific... personnell wise the defense is much different and add the chemistry built since, Denver is a different defense now...

none of this means that Denver wins if they play, it just means that putting so much stock into the last game played as the reason for victory is poor logic... both Den and NE are different now...

also, Denver's special teams has improved since... Holiday is a dangerous return man that wasnt on the roster when Den last played NE...

as of now Denver passes the ball at a high level, runs the ball effectively, stops the run as good as any team, and rushes the passer as good as any team... why anyone would be excited about facing that is beyond me...

Very good post. I hope (if we play) you come back and contribute more. You err in only one area. Don't let the confidence Pats fans show, for lack of concern. Far from it. The Broncos are stiff test, especially at Mile High (or whatever its called now) But we have reason to believe that if the Broncos bring their A game and the Pats play their A game, the Pats are likely to win. But there's nothing set in stone. There are lots of things that have nothing to do with which team is best that can affect the results of the game, especially when, regardless of which team you support, the difference between the 2 is so small.

Nice job

Then why did they let Dennis Pitta go 7 for 125 and 2 TD.

They didnt. They let him go 5 for 42, he had 2 big catches against our BACKUPS in the 4th when denver was up 31-3.

They didnt. They let him go 5 for 42, he had 2 big catches against our BACKUPS in the 4th when denver was up 31-3.

Manning is a goat. Brady is the greatest of all time.

Last edited:
Broncos are an excellent team, but, were I a Broncos fan, I would not yet have supreme confidence in Manning playing games at Mile High in January . . .

Fair enough, it's not unusual for a defense to let up when they have a team beat by a score like 31-3, in fact I saw NE do something like that when they were beating an AFC opponent that badly earlier this season.

Manning is a goat. Brady is the greatest of all time.

Brady plays in the greatest system of all-time. He's a great quarterback, he throws the ball well, has poise and accuracy, and has had plenty of success.
But...
Ultimately, he is somewhat a puppet of BB, plays consistantly with some of the best recievers in the game. Has AMAZING TE's to dump it off to if all else fails, yet does little to direct or lead his team. In his case, that's the coaches job. There is a reason Matt Cassell looked all pro on a stacked team and that is ANY competent QB can play like a hall of famer on that team.
Whereas...
Manning has played on 2 teams with what started out as unproven teammates, especially at the WR position, and MADE them into household names with HIS system. His offense has always been prolific despite major roster changes and changing teams and he would have been more successful in the past if it werent for some really bad Colts defenses.
Alas,
Most of the knocks against Brady arent his fault, but certainly deminish the argument for him being in the GOAT conversation.

Nice post good to see an adult Broncos fan.

Why I am confident if we play Denver: Manning, Fox and Del Rio. I'm Not a fan of playing there, but Belichick and Brady have owned those three in the playoffs. With Manning winning once in the playoffs and needed a whole lot to bounce his way to do it.

I wouldnt put manning in that trio now. Recently his presence on the opposite site has somewhat made BB take overly bold calls .He is in BB's head as much as BB is in his. Fox and Del rio OTOH BB has hd success and Fox is a pretty conservative coach. Remains to be seen how bold he can go in the playoffs.
It may happen when all said and done this matchup never happens and either Pats/Den lose @home in the Div game.

Broncos are an excellent team, but, were I a Broncos fan, I would not yet have supreme confidence in Manning playing games at Mile High in January . . .

Manning has played BETTER with a glove on his hand in sub freezing temperatures the last 2 games...

Brady plays in the greatest system of all-time. He's a great quarterback, he throws the ball well, has poise and accuracy, and has had plenty of success.
But...
Ultimately, he is somewhat a puppet of BB, plays consistantly with some of the best recievers in the game. Has AMAZING TE's to dump it off to if all else fails, yet does little to direct or lead his team. In his case, that's the coaches job. There is a reason Matt Cassell looked all pro on a stacked team and that is ANY competent QB can play like a hall of famer on that team.
Whereas...
Manning has played on 2 teams with what started out as unproven teammates, especially at the WR position, and MADE them into household names with HIS system. His offense has always been prolific despite major roster changes and changing teams and he would have been more successful in the past if it werent for some really bad Colts defenses.
Alas,
Most of the knocks against Brady arent his fault, but certainly deminish the argument for him being in the GOAT conversation.

That is probably the biggest load of crap ever posted on this board. Congratulations on your achievement!

Last edited:
But...
Whereas...
Alas,
To be honest, I've read plenty of embarrassing posts in this thread. Of all those posts, this is the most embarrassing opinion.

Well I thought that my post earlier this afternoon would be a nice finish to a thread I thought had gone on too long already. Clearly I was mistaken. :eek: So about 8 pages later, I decided if you can't beat them, join them. ;) Here is my contribution to the statistical barrage.

I know Denver fans are putting a great deal of hope of an eventual victory over the Pats on more than Peyton Manning. And why not? According to NFL.com, the Broncos were ranked #2 in total defense, and with the Pats ranking #25 against Denver's 4th ranked offense, who wouldn't be confident.

But I want to offer these facts. The Pats have played 6 games against 5 teams who rank in the top 10 in total defense. (Texans, Broncos, Niners, Seahawks, and Jets ) In those games against the top defenses in the league the Pats scored, (in order of appearance) 31, 23, 29, 49, 42, and 34.

The point is that the Pats have done VERY well (especially in the second half of the season) against some of the BEST defenses in the league. I don't doubt the quality of Denver defense,.....Neither did I doubt the quality of the Niner, Texan, and Jets defenses.

The other point concerns the Denver home field advantage. There is no doubt that its a very difficult place to come in and win. However that advantage could very quickly be mitigated by a bad weather day. Tom Brady is arguably the best bad weather QB in the history of game. Peyton Manning has played most of his games in a dome, and has had some very bad experiences in bad weather. Thus far this season (IIRC) Manning hasn't had to play in bad weather.

If the 2 teams play, it will be on January 21st. Denver fans can tell us what the weather is likely to be mid winter in Denver. We both know it's at best 50-50 that it will be a nice day. And if it isn't that home field advantage will quickly become a home field DIS-advantage. Think about it.

Last edited:
Fair enough, it's not unusual for a defense to let up when they have a team beat by a score like 31-3, in fact I saw NE do something like that when they were beating an AFC opponent that badly earlier this season.

This is circular logic, to answer this comment I'll refer you back to broncosgc's comment:
I tried lurking for as long as i can but i eventually couldnt resist..

and add this... The Pat's didnt pull their starters in the 4th vs the Broncos. They never do, they are known running up the score for a reason.

But...
Whereas...
Alas,

Brady started out with a very unproven team that was 5-11 the prior year and 0-2 when he went in for the injured Bledsoe. Then they won the Superbowl

Cassell was a pro bowler In KC.

Brady also made receivers that struggled elsewhere pro-bowlers with him.

Brady does little to direct his team? Are you serious?

Last edited:
But...
Whereas...
Alas,

This really gets me mad :mad:.

First.. have you seen the receivers and TE's and RB's Brady had until 2007? The famous AFCCG when manning finally beat brady can you name brady's WR's ?
They let deion branch go that season so he had , reche caldwell,jabaar gaffeny and doug gabriel as his receivers.
Manning with the colts ALWAYS had #1 WR and TE and RBs. Thats the reason their Defense sucked and ST sucked because they never had any money for those areas.
And whats more, almost all of manning's playoff losses are because the colts offense wet the bed ,not because of his defense. They scored 3!!! pts vs the pats missing all their secondary in foxboro.
This whole system QB is whole lot of bull**** because we see manning moving around like a chicken calling plays at LOC and brady not doing it so he must be in a system. Guess what, montana was in the bill walsh system and bradshaw was in the chuck knoll system and even Manning runs the colts system. Tell me which QB doesnt have a system ? Mark sanchez maybe ?
And here is more. Look at the pats offense from 2003 till now.
Run the ball and play defense -no problem, brady does.
Trade your #1 WR to seattle and have a bunch of scrub WR's on your team and throw it to the open guy -brady did it in 2006.
Scrap the whole offense and bring a spread/shotgun offense with moss and welker -brady did it.
Let moss go in the MIDDLE OF THE SEASON!! and turn to short passing game - brady did it.
Bring in two tightends and change the offense again - brady did it .
All this with ever changing OC's !
And to address the matt cassel thing.Ironically the thread title does that. We played the AFC west and NFC west that year. Two of the worst conf that season.
So all due respect please shut the hell up about this theory of system qb and great talent he has had. Just go back in history and check the facts. If anything, he has not played in the same system for more than 1 or 2 seasons at all.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents