PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bring in competition at Kicker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ghost has the yips. It isn't his age, because his distance is fine, he is pushing the ball every time. Once again, if it keeps happening then you have to replace him. Just make sure it is someone better.

On the 52 yard field goal, I have no issue with punting there. A miss, and they get the ball back at the 42? Pin them in their end and make them beat our defense.

Omg any 1/2 decent male college soccer player can kick the ball that far. It is about doing it with a minimal run up and no one trying to block the ball.
I was being 1/2 sarcastic, but in all fairness I think she could be legit and a tryout wouldn't hurt.

I was being 1/2 sarcastic, but in all fairness I think she could be legit and a tryout wouldn't hurt.
She kicked it like she was kicking a kick off, with a running start, not a short approach, like nfl kickers use.

Remember, the US women's soccer team was beaten by a u15 year old boys soccer team 2 years ago. This is a publicity stunt.

So no, this is a really stupid idea, and goes along with all of you who think it is easy to find NFL level kickers.

News article.

"In preparation for two upcoming friendlies against Russia, the U.S. women’s national team played the FC Dallas U-15 boys academy team on Sunday and fell 5-2, according to FC Dallas’ official website. "

So these are 14 year old boys, who at a minimum played with the USNWT.

Gostkowski is struggling, no doubt about it. And I have no issue with Belichick bringing in someone for a tryout. As others have said though, I'm not sure we'll find someone better at this point.

But your comment is the problem. If Buffalo scores a TD and we lose 17-16, Gostkowski certainly has a hand in the loss, I will never dispute that.

But the offense had one of their worst games of the Belichick era, and it would have required the defense, after playing a great game, allowing a backup QB to go down and score with the game on the line. Yet because of a missed XP with 52 minutes left, the loss would have been "all because of Gost?"

Again, I'm not now nor have I ever claimed Gostkowski is perfect and blameless and doesn't need to start doing a hell of a lot better very quickly. I just wish people would stop looking at the one point in the final score and blaming all losses/potential losses totally on him.

If you compared what might have happened today to a basketball game: we shot 3/28 from beyond the 3 point line, 34% shooting overall, blew a 7 point lead with a minute left in the game, lost by 1, and you blame the loss entirely on the guy that missed a free throw when the score was 8-4.

Its games like we just had in Buffalo where the kicker becomes more important and has to come through, especially not missing easy extra points after TD.

Where are all the Ghost Koolaid drinkers today?

Missed XP again & Belichick decides to go for a 4th and 8 instead of letting him kick a 52 yard field goal.
What gets me is how the Kool-Aid drinkers have shifted the narrative. First they ridiculed and attacked the honest observers who noticed problems early on in the kicking game and dared comment on it. They cited reams of statistics but it was still obvious there was a problem because of near misses at important points in the game.Then when it became glaringly obvious there is a problem, the apologists should have APOLOGIZED but no, they shifted the argument to "but there is nobody else out there we can replace him with." So can we all agree we have a kicking problem?

Its games like we just had in Buffalo where the kicker becomes more important and has to come through, especially not missing easy extra points after TD.

I agree, he needs to come through and needs to do better. But that doesn't change my stance that every single one point loss is not "all on him" while ignoring/excusing the poor play of other players on the team.

I'd love to bring competition in, but whom? Some Central American former soccer player named Ricardo? Unfortunately, I think team must ride w Gostowski
I have always agreed with this, it was just the kool aid drinkers who kept suggesting there wasn’t a real issue here.

Ghost and his misses will eventually cost us games, it’s time we bring in competition and maybe that will light a fire under him to perform better.
tenor.gif

Ghost just needs more opportunities to get PAT attempts to get in his groove. He just does not get enough game rep opportunities to try them with this O

Again, I'm not calling for Gostkowski's exit from this team. But how the **** is anyone going to deny there's a problem now?

Edit: I used the same rhetorical structure as the post above mine but it wasn't on purpose/to be snarky.
Here's the thing. There IS a problem with the kicking operation when we are kicking extra points for what ever reason. It is just plain STUPID to think that whatever it is, it can be improved on. That being said, he is 7 out of 8 in FG attempts (87%) and to bring in another kicker is long past ludicrous. This entire thread should get the Bill Bellichck death stare.

You guys sound like gambler who lost their $10 bets because of the missed PAT :rolleyes: OR Fantasy Football buffs who lost a game because of the missed point. OR worse yet, like the panic ridden trolls of the game day thread :eek: ;)

You are demanding perfection in a game where people fail on EVERY play. Why aren't you demanding we pull Brady because HE damned sure wasn't perfect on Sunday, or calling for heads to fall because the D gave up a TD. That all may sound like hyperbole, but what you are looking for isn't far off.

Kickers miss kicks.....all of them, even the ones you want to replace SG with. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I've been in the Gost camp all season and will continue to be as long as he doesn't cost us a game but even then...sh!t happens. That being said...

Jake Bailey
  • Played at Santa Fe Christian (Calif.) and connected on 12-of-16 field goals – including 54-yarder – as a senior. Also made 26-of-27 extra points.
  • Made three field goals of 50 or more yards and 40 touchbacks on 47 kickoffs as a senior.
And all those extra points were made from the 10. :rolleyes:

News article.

"In preparation for two upcoming friendlies against Russia, the U.S. women’s national team played the FC Dallas U-15 boys academy team on Sunday and fell 5-2, according to FC Dallas’ official website. "

So these are 14 year old boys, who at a minimum played with the USNWT.

This is entirely irrelevant to Lloyd’s potential as a kicker (which I agree is limited).

But this story does nothing to prove that point, since kicking a football long/far has nothing to do with success in soccer, and vice versa.

This is entirely irrelevant to Lloyd’s potential as a kicker (which I agree is limited).

But this story does nothing to prove that point, since kicking a football long/far has nothing to do with success in soccer, and vice versa.
If given an unlimited run up and no rushers almost any college soccer player can kick as far as she can and probably at least as accurately. Of course she can’t tackle or block. But yes great thinking bringing her in.

Here's the thing. There IS a problem with the kicking operation when we are kicking extra points for what ever reason. It is just plain STUPID to think that whatever it is, it can be improved on. That being said, he is 7 out of 8 in FG attempts (87%) and to bring in another kicker is long past ludicrous. This entire thread should get the Bill Bellichck death stare.

You guys sound like gambler who lost their $10 bets because of the missed PAT :rolleyes: OR Fantasy Football buffs who lost a game because of the missed point. OR worse yet, like the panic ridden troll of the game day thread :eek: ;)

You are demanding perfection in a game where people fail on EVERY play. Why aren't you demanding we pull Brady because HE damned sure wasn't perfect on Sunday, or calling for heads to fall because the D gave up a TD. That all may sound like hyperbole, but what you are looking for isn't far off.

Kickers miss kicks.....all of them, even the ones you want to replace SG with. :rolleyes:

I'm tired of people saying "nobody's perfect" when we're at a streak of 4 that may not even be over. That's not normal and well outside the bounds of statistical noise. Especially since you also implied I want to replace Gostkowski when I explicitly said I didn't want that. It's like the people replying to my post about this every week don't even read it.

Wait kicking a soccer ball far and long has nothing to do with playing soccer?

What gets me is how the Kool-Aid drinkers have shifted the narrative. First they ridiculed and attacked the honest observers who noticed problems early on in the kicking game and dared comment on it. They cited reams of statistics but it was still obvious there was a problem because of near misses at important points in the game.Then when it became glaringly obvious there is a problem, the apologists should have APOLOGIZED but no, they shifted the argument to "but there is nobody else out there we can replace him with." So can we all agree we have a kicking problem?
I think he’s missed a few but is a good kicker and will be fine.

I'm tired of people saying "nobody's perfect" when we're at a streak of 4 that may not even be over. That's not normal and well outside the bounds of statistical noise. Especially since you also implied I want to replace Gostkowski when I explicitly said I didn't want that. It's like the people replying to my post about this every week don't even read it.
Ok I’ll ask. If you don’t want to replace him what do you want?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes