PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brian Hoyer reunion? [UPDATE: Hoyer signs 3 year contract]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hoyer Watch

We are currently without a backup QB. Hoyer has been released by SF and is loose on the streets for anyone to sign. I'm going to be nervous until he's reported in Foxboro. This thread is for any news as to his (or any potential backup QB's) location and status.

Don't mean to pour cold water on this but what if he doesn't sign w the Pats? There were reports of several other teams who were interested ( disinformation from his agent to pump up his price or possibly a team that wants to mess w the Pats for the sake of it). Then what??
Who would be next on the radar.. There are worse situations than to be a back on the Pats which could lead to a starting gig or a long time back up career. Ask Hoyer, Cassel, Mallet, Brissett, JAG..........
Vinny T. is still only 53 years old..........

Lombardi said he would have been in the deal had his guarantees not been so complicated, expect a two year deal.

I, for one, find it hilarious that we're in the middle of Hoyer Watch 2017. After 16 years of rock-steady stability at the position nullifying any need for us to experience the heady chase of that next blockbuster quarterback, finally we get a taste of what other franchises feel when they're waiting out their top draft choice at QB! The excitement! The air crackles with possibility!

belichick-lets-party.jpg

Don't mean to pour cold water on this but what if he doesn't sign w the Pats?

It's quite possible. That's why I started this tracking thread - to keep up with any news of his whereabouts. So far I haven't found anything but that he's been released and a load of speculation that's he's coming here.

Lombardi said he would have been in the deal had his guarantees not been so complicated, expect a two year deal.

In all probability we asked them to let Hoyer walk so his signing wouldn't negate the 4th/5th comp pick we'd have gotten for losing Bennett as well as impacting the cap as less as possible.

So in the final analysis, I'd say that we traded Jimmy G. for a 2nd and a 4th, or a 5th, because SF is eating his salary this year as well as $3m for next season. Wouldn't be surprised if we signed Hoyer to the vet minimum.

It's quite possible. That's why I started this tracking thread - to keep up with any news of his whereabouts. So far I haven't found anything but that he's been released and a load of speculation that's he's coming here.

This must be what Browns fans feel like literally every season! :D I say we all revel in in this unique moment in time. Somebody come up with a neat slogan like the Colts fans did with "Suck for Luck", to show Hoyer we really want to land this plane.

This must be what Browns fans feel like literally every season! :D I say we all revel in in this unique moment in time. Somebody come up with a neat slogan like the Colts fans did with "Suck for Luck", to show Hoyer we really want to land this plane.
Lets Lawyer for Hoyer? o_O

I'd rather grab someone from a practice squad

Hoyer gets us nothing

I'd rather grab someone from a practice squad

Hoyer gets us nothing
I feel like it’s a dangerous game not to have a practice squad QB if you’re only going two deep.

In all probability we asked them to let Hoyer walk so his signing wouldn't negate the 4th/5th comp pick we'd have gotten for losing Bennett as well as impacting the cap as less as possible.

So in the final analysis, I'd say that we traded Jimmy G. for a 2nd and a 4th, or a 5th, because SF is eating his salary this year as well as $3m for next season. Wouldn't be surprised if we signed Hoyer to the vet minimum.
Hm how would trading for Hoyer impact comp picks?

The moment he was on the roster week 1, as a vested veteran- his salary for the year was guaranteed. The way I understand it he is eligible for a one time termination pay of his salary and he also earns whatever he can get elsewhere. So if he signs for the vet minimum, he gets that plus what he was supposed to get from SF unless there was offset language in the contract. If I'm wrong I'm sure somebody will correct me but- he benefits by being released and not traded and Pats benefit by not having him count against potential compensatory picks ( Bennett to GB) they would get..

Hoyer knows how to run our offense. He might be able to win a few games in the regular season if Brady goes down with a short term injury.

This does not matter.......without Brady, this team crashes and burns and there is nothing Hoyer can do about that....5 teams in 6 years should say something

the guy brings nothing

Hm how would trading for Hoyer impact comp picks?

My understanding is that he signed with San Francisco as a free agent, so if he is traded he maintains that free agent signee status with the receiving team. Compensatory picks are distributed based on free agents gained vs free agents lost. So if we traded for him he would count as a free agent addition for us which would offset the free agent loss of Bennett.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST