PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brian Flores

Yes. The thing is : even fails as a HC don’t stop you from getting coordinator jobs. League is littered with failed coaches who return to O or D and find success.

New England won't be his landing spot unless he fails McDaniels style as a DC somewhere else first. I could see him landing in a place like Tennessee, give him a chance to right the defensive ship of a contender.

I feel like sitting behind BB again isn't the greatest career move for Flores. He has a better path to another HC job if he's the DC for an offensive head coach, making it clear that he's the top defensive voice on the team.

Dare I say it...if McDaniels doesn't see the HC job in NE opening up any time soon then he could go elsewhere and hire Flores as his DC.

Fully supportive of this one. Josh has done a great job and another team will be lucky to have his talents. Josh would do well to bring Ziegler with him too, they seem like a good team and they worked closely together going back to being college roommates and teammates. Kudos to whatever team owner manages to poach Josh.

New England won't be his landing spot unless he fails McDaniels style as a DC somewhere else first. I could see him landing in a place like Tennessee, give him a chance to right the defensive ship of a contender.

What team has a high powered offense but bad defense? That would be Flores' best next move. Are we sure he'll lose his job? Seems like he'd have a couple more seasons to prove himself

He already tried to do that, but something made him stay. Remember he backed out of the Colts job at the last minute in '19, then said "the book is closed on me leaving the Patriots."

So there is obviously a succession plan in place.
Jesus, don't tell DKF that.

any insight on why the dolphins D has sucked so much this year?

When Flores was in charge of the D for the Pats, I really liked the aggressiveness. Going to Miami for a complete rebuild will probably take more than the time allotted, he was 10 & 6 last year.. the Dolphins dumped a lot of good talent when he came on board Tunsil , Tannehill & Minkah Fitzpatrick come to mind.

I also suspect that Patricia is filling a role similar to that of what Ernie Adams played before retirement..

Last edited:
Flores will always be a Patriot in my book

Yes…but it’s not his fault that their dumb owner forced them to take Tua over Herbert.

But did he really force anyone to choose Tua over Herbert? Would've been interesting to be a fly on the wall inside their draft room that day...

Yeah, I'm a little baffled by his rather sudden struggles (Tua, of coursem, blows, so there is that.).

As for takng him back: absolutely. Jerrod isn't ready, I don't think Stevie ever will be, and anythng that eclipses that hopeless blowhard Patricia is to the good..

Unless it's Stephen Ross who is famous for firing coaches before they can get their system in place with the players they want.

Flores will find a job in no time.
Yes, Ross seems like a real peach of an owner, he certainly makes Kraft look good. There is a website that rated owners OwnerRankings that ranked Ross 29/32 saying: "Like a Katy Perry song, Ross tends to change his mind like a girl changes clothes. He bounces between full-scale rebuilding and win-now-at-all-costs visions, thrusting the Dolphins into a vicious cycle of mediocrity." That certainly seems spot-on, and Ross may be trying to unseat Dan Snyder for 32th place. ;)

Flores seems like a good coach to me, certainly his demeanor on the field puts many coaches to shame. Several of the recent Fin draft picks haven't really shined so far, but that is the case with many first and second year players, and Flores isn't the one making personnel decisions of course, and he hasn't really had a chance yet to make the team in his image yet as you said.

Speaking of not having a chance yet: last year Tua Tagovailoa had no offseason because of COVID and was returning from a hip injury that has been career ending for most players, then he missed three more games this year with a rib injury. He has played pretty well the last couple of games since returning, 620 yards passing with 6 TDs vs. 3 INTs, not Tom Brady-ish (or even Mac Jones) but he is still early in his second year. It is still possible that Tua will turn out to be a bust or too injury prone, but normally QBs get at least a couple of seasons to prove themselves.

And now Ross plans to jettison Tua and send a giant pile of first and second round draft picks to Houston for Watson? And probably fire Flores also? This early??

Again, thank goodness for Kraft, it makes you appreciate him all the more.

Last edited:
I'd take him back as a consultant...and see what happens with Jerod Mayo in the off-season. Mayo did interview for the Philly job, IIRC.....

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back