PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Breer: How the wheels came off the Pats dynasty

The articles make very good points. The talent has decreased tremendously the past few seasons from the draft. Players like Van Noy, and other major contributors, came by trade. When's the last time Bill drafted a pro-bowler on either side of the ball? (other than Jake Bailey) It was Jamie Collins way back in 2013. His drafts since 2017 have been pretty bad. Wynn is good but cant stay healthy, Michel can find himself a niche in the Patriots backfield but cant stay healthy. 2019 you got 2 decent players in Harris and Winovich and whiffed everywhere else. We are seeing the talent gap right now.

This team has along way to go. Sure we will get some veterans back next season but I don't think it will make too much of a difference. They need to hit the next couple drafts out of the park.

lost credibility when you said “I doubt Metcalf does better here”
Why ? You think Cam wouldve made him look great like russell wilson does ?

Post draft analysis after two yrs is something every team does. I bet in two yrs we will long for some other stud picked in the 3rd round by some team instead of say dugger or wino. This is nothing new or uncommon .
I feel just bagging on harry is an an easy target. They have hit on players like white, harris, vereen, michel, dugger,wino,uche. The WR position has been a miss combined with bad luck. Malcom mitchell was great but couldnt be healthy. Gordon was good until he relapsed. AB was an idiot but you cant deny they tried.
They just didnt hit on the QB . Thats where the problem for every team starts. I maybe wrong but on the offensive side , the fix is simple and difficult at the same time . Get a QB and it will instantly look better under this coaching staff.

The articles make very good points. The talent has decreased tremendously the past few seasons from the draft. Players like Van Noy, and other major contributors, came by trade. When's the last time Bill drafted a pro-bowler on either side of the ball? (other than Jake Bailey) It was Jamie Collins way back in 2013. His drafts since 2017 have been pretty bad. Wynn is good but cant stay healthy, Michel can find himself a niche in the Patriots backfield but cant stay healthy. 2019 you got 2 decent players in Harris and Winovich and whiffed everywhere else. We are seeing the talent gap right now.

This team has along way to go. Sure we will get some veterans back next season but I don't think it will make too much of a difference. They need to hit the next couple drafts out of the park.
I agree with you to an extent but pats team never have had pro bowlers much almost ever . It's a popularity vote mostly.

This article basically says -and I’ve heard others say it too - that the rebuild doesn’t begin this season...it begins NEXT season.

Gonna be a rough ride ahead.
I'll take how the Celtics did it after Russell.

One bad year, get Cowens, back in contention.

Question is, who will be that QB?

I don't know.

Post draft analysis after two yrs is something every team does. I bet in two yrs we will long for some other stud picked in the 3rd round by some team instead of say dugger or wino. This is nothing new or uncommon .
I feel just bagging on harry is an an easy target. They have hit on players like white, harris, vereen, michel, dugger,wino,uche. The WR position has been a miss combined with bad luck. Malcom mitchell was great but couldnt be healthy. Gordon was good until he relapsed. AB was an idiot but you cant deny they tried.
They just didnt hit on the QB . Thats where the problem for every team starts. I maybe wrong but on the offensive side , the fix is simple and difficult at the same time . Get a QB and it will instantly look better under this coaching staff.
It's too early to make a call on Uche and Dugger (and even Wino). They all need another season to see what we've got.

Post draft analysis after two yrs is something every team does. I bet in two yrs we will long for some other stud picked in the 3rd round by some team instead of say dugger or wino.
You can already argue passing up Winfield Jr. and Chinn over Dugger was a mistake. Bill should've taken either of them.
They have hit on players like white, harris, vereen, michel, dugger,wino,uche.
Dugger is a JAG compared to the players mentioned above. He hasn't done anything on the field that shows he will be a key piece moving forward. No big hits, no forced fumbles, INT's, etc.. Uche has 9 tackles (including 1 sack) in 9 games with a D that can't stop the run. That's 1 tackle per game. That's very concerning. Winovich has regressed badly. He's better as a complimentary player lining up along side better LB's to take the attention away from him. Being soft up front does not help the cause.
AB was an idiot but you cant deny they tried.
He was an idiot, but BB/Kraft didn't have to release him.

Last edited:
This article says exactly what we have all been saying for the past five years.

bb has to check his “I’m smarter than everybody else” attitude at the door and start drafting talented players!

no more turds, we need athletes!

Didn’t know about the connection between Belichick and Harry’s coach. Another unfortunate example of drafting due to relationship with a college coach over ya know guys who are paid to figure out if players will translate into the NFL.

Meanwhile AJ Brown caught a 52 yard bomb with 10 seconds left to put his team in FG range to kick the game winning field goal for the AFC South Division Title

Last edited:
Breer.jpg

This is a lot like the time we weren't "talented" enough to win in 2014, 2016 and 2018...

Lol what? No one thought they “weren’t talented enough” in 2014 and 2016. They signed the best corner in the league, added a physical matchup corner, and added a possession receiver. They the went 12-4 and home field throughout. 2016 Brady was almost the MVP, they signed a great insurance policy for Gronk, and won 14 games.

Are we just making things up at this point?

Lol what? No one thought they “weren’t talented enough” in 2014 and 2016. They signed the best corner in the league, added a physical matchup corner, and added a possession receiver. They the went 12-4 and home field throughout. 2016 Brady was almost the MVP, they signed a great insurance policy for Gronk, and won 14 games.

Are we just making things up at this point?

What the hell was Brady talking about here ^ if it didn't happen?

Are you attempting to use revisionist history because you were one of those saying we had "no talent" back then?

Sounds probable... seems like the only note you know how to play.

This is a lot like the time we weren't "talented" enough to win in 2014, 2016 and 2018...

They had no business winning in 2018. 2014 they were favorites with the Broncos when they signed Revis and Browner. Didn't care for the LaFell signing considering they passed on Sanders and lost out on Steve Smith. However, the Chefs game set the panic button off until they beat down the Bengals the following week and the Broncos later on. They were clearly the best team in the AFC in 2016.

What the hell was Brady talking about here ^ if it didn't happen?

Are you attempting to use revisionist history because you were one of those saying we had "no talent" back then?

Sounds probable... seems like the only note you know how to play.

That was 2018. You stated no one thought they could do it in 2014 and 2016.

Tom helped keep the dynasty together, because guys like playing with a great QB. Especially one who takes a hometown discount contract for many years, to give his team more flexibility to sign other needs. Tom deserves a lot of credit for that. All that said, Tom is 43 and I think both he and Bill knew that playing a big share of his games is sub-freezing weather was no longer desirable and Tom has been able to prolong his career a bit by going to Tampa. Tom is a smart guy and knew the supporting cast was going to be thin, as well. If Tampa can play some serviceable defense, that offense is steamrollin' now with AB getting his reps. It's a perfect scenario for Tom and Bill just needs to do the needful and rebuild.

Last edited:
“They took Jordan Richards—we had him on our back board, as a free agent, and they took him in the second round,” said our AFC executive. “Without the quarterback, it’s caught up with them.”

200.gif
Richards is a classic example. His father coached football a the high school level, jordan was a team captain at stanford. those two things out weighed his lack of physical talent in bbs eyes. BB viewed him as a leader

Last edited:
That was 2018. You stated no one thought they could do it in 2014 and 2016.
You do not recall the media and numerous people on this board calling Brady and the Patriots done after they got blown out in early 2014? Calls for JG to replace him. Trent Dilfer saying "the Patriots aren't good anymore"

Tom helped keep the dynasty together, because guys like playing with a great QB. Especially one who takes a hometown discount contract for many years, to give his team more flexibility to sign other needs. Tom deserves a lot of credit for that. All that said, Tom is 43 and I think both he and Bill knew that playing a big share of his games is sub-freezing whether was no longer desirable and Tom has been able to prolong his career a bit by going to Tampa. Tom is a smart guy and knew the supporting cast was going to be thin, as well. If Tampa can play some serviceable defense, that offense is steamrollin' now with AB getting his reps. It's a perfect scenario for Tom and Bill just needs to do the needful and rebuild.
This is something that is super underrated when it comes to the dynasty run. How important it was that Brady took less than market value so they could sign players and not just sign other players, that it was known Brady would set the ceiling and all others would fall in line under that. Revis recently did an interview where he said that his side asked for a specific amount and Bill told him they couldn't go that high because it would be more than Brady made.

"When it came to negotiation time, Bill was real stern about a number," Revis said. "My side, we were stuck at ($)16 (million for a one-year deal). And his whole deal was, 'Tom makes 14.' And that was really it."

You do not recall the media and numerous people on this board calling Brady and the Patriots done after they got blown out in early 2014? Calls for JG to replace him. Trent Dilfer saying "the Patriots aren't good anymore"
Yeah you do have a point with that. I was looking at it more from a going into the season aspect.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back