PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Breer: How the wheels came off the Pats dynasty

This year's draft has been a solid one, but the past 5 years have been a string of misses.

When guys leave for money/age etc. You replace them through the draft. We knew Gronk was retiring or gone soon yet Bill never drafted any replacements until this year(I'll give these guys a redshirt year). Bill clearly had an idea brady wasnt his longterm option after 2017 by offering him 1 year "prove it" deals but never took a flyer on a QB high like he did with Jimmy G.

As guys left/retired bill never even got close to replacing guys on offense or defense. Instead of every other stud receiver we are stuck with harry and Izzo.

Imagine if instead bill had DK metcalf or deebo samuel or aj brown. Suddenly the offense looks different and at least one of your issues is solved. Bill needs to HIT on this year's draft and Free agency.

No more gadget special reamers with your 2nd round pick or going for "value"

History tells us one Great draft can turn a team around

Yawn.....................

What about the harris pick from saban ? what about wino, dugger, uche ?
Hit pieces don't put in things that hurt their argument and that's what that article is. Just look at the title. You don't title it that if it's a fair view. Simply put if Belichick got 65% of what Newton was in 2017 Pats are a playoff team, maybe even a division winner.

But ya let's just put the whole thing on Belichick picking Harry in the 1st round because of an interview and him ignoring scouts over a friend. Like how now people act like Harry wasn't rated similarly to those 2 in the lead up to the draft. I saw a few draftnik boards that had Harry rated higher than Brown and Metcalf didn't get rated until the combine before that he was a one route guy with a neck injury.

Then there is the whole thing of if Brown or Metcalf were drafted who says they would have worked out? Brady doesn't like throwing to rookies and then this year Pats didn't even really have a QB.

Reactions: SVN
"Wheels came off the Patriots dynasty"

Just can't help but laugh at that one. As if going from a highly functioning QB to a malfunctioning QB that had no proper pre-season isn't the biggest reason why.

And I don't want to hear about 2019, maybe that wasn't a SB team but the dolphins game wouldn't have mattered if the idiot refs would have properly called Gilmore's forced fumble or Harry TD in the chiefs game. Win that game and that's the 2nd seed and it's Houston at home in the divisional round and I would have liked the chances in that one. So it would have been at least another conference championship appearance.

Also another reminder Tom Brady's NE career ended the way it did because he threw a really bad pick-6 against the dolphins and then he couldn't muster 3 points in the 2nd half at home in the playoffs. And you can put that on Belichick's drafting all you want but if you are gonna call him GOAT and the most clutch QB then you have to at least think he should have been able to score 3 points in a half at home in the playoffs

Last edited:
"Wheels came off the Patriots dynasty"

Just can't help but laugh at that one. As if going from a highly functioning QB to a malfunctioning QB that had no proper pre-season isn't the biggest reason why.

And I don't want to hear about 2019, maybe that wasn't a SB team but the dolphins game wouldn't have mattered if the idiot refs would have properly called Gilmore's forced fumble or Harry TD in the chiefs game.

Also another reminder Tom Brady's NE career ended the way it did because he couldn't muster 3 points in the 2nd half at home in the playoffs. And you can put that on Belichick's drafting all you want but if you are gonna call him GOAT and the most clutch QB then you have to at least think he should have been able to score 3 points in a half at home.
If Brady couldn’t make this offense go late last season it’s hard to expect much better from a severely limited Cam.

Dynasty died last season. And it’s all because of 5 or 6 years of bad drafting. IF they had drafted a good TE in the early rounds of the 2018 or 2019 draft. IF they would’ve stayed put in the 2nd round of 2019, and drafted who was drafted in our slots, WRs Mecole Hardman & DK Metcalf, Brady would’ve had explosive weapons, and maybe he doesn’t leave.

2018 draft, traded up to select DB Duke Dawson, a horrible pick, and I knew it the second it happened, he lasted ONE year and was traded for a 7th round pick. Passed up guys like WR Michael Gallup and TE Mark Andrews.

Imagine an offense with TE Mark Andrews, and WRs Mecole Hardman, DK Metcalf and Michael Gallup. Instead we had DB busts in Duke Dawson (for 1 year) and SlowJuan Williams.

Sure ALL Dynasties die, but it could’ve been extended a few years.

Wonder if we will reach out to guys such as dimitroff, Pioli or Quinn. Especially if Caserio moves on.
I would like them to bring Pioli back. When he was here him and Bill would say in the draft room if they disagreed on a player they wouldn’t waste any time arguing back and fourth, they would just move on from the player, so Pioli actually could say no to Bill about a player and Bill would listen, since Pioli left I’m not sure there has been that voice in the room, maybe Dimitroff.

Bring Grier back! :D
BB not being able to shop for the groceries, we will see how well that goes lol.

that being said when he was director of pro scouting I challenge anyone to find a better 2 consecutive years of drafting as we had in 95-96.

Why should the guy who drafted Tom Brady, Richard Seymour, Vince Wilfork, Logan Mankins, Devin McCourty, Rob Gronkowski, Chandler Jones and Jamie Collins change?

Fans need to change their expectations. We're not going to play for a ring every season, the Brady train wasn't going to last forever. They overextended themselves and burned through cap space to win from 2014 until now and came away with three rings... the bill is now due. I get that it's a strange new sensation, but the wheels didn't fall off... twenty years is entirely too long for a set of wheels to last.
You play to win the game.

You play to win the game.
You practice and play to improve, if you're good enough, you win the game.

This year was a developmental year, a year to reset the cap. Next year they'll be in better cap shape, add a bunch of new talent, hopefully a better QB and they will continue to practice and play to improve.

Hopefully they'll improve to the point of winning. Nobody can judge how quickly that will happen, not the Negative Nancy's here, not even Bill.

It's a reloading year, a resetting the cap year... the wheels didn't fall off.

They took the car in for maintenance and removed the wheels themselves.

By continuing to draft dudes who feckin suck (including this year's pile of crap)? You're right about that one...

Last edited:
It is half exaggerated news. If you are older you must have learned that people have axes to grind and are always quick to be anonymous sources. Having been around, Breer knows who to call to get what he wants to fill out a negative story.
Perhaps he does, but that doesn't make the story wrong, or the quotes wrong either.

BB not being able to shop for the groceries, we will see how well that goes lol.

that being said when he was director of pro scouting I challenge anyone to find a better 2 consecutive years of drafting as we had in 95-96.
Not saying he shouldn’t be able to shop for the groceries, maybe just add a grocery expert to go shopping with him and give him advice.

Perhaps he does, but that doesn't make the story wrong, or the quotes wrong either.

The quotes are correct - I agree. But the story can be wrong. For instance "BB ignores his scouts". BB has to weigh input from a variety of sources, his coaches, scouts, college coaches, other players, player interviews, player workouts, etc. If BB was wise, he would also get input from @BaconGrundleCandy. I am sure that commonly the various sources do not agree, probably never agree. With all of those inputs, how do you know which one is right? Sometimes he listens more to his scouts, sometimes more to his coaches, sometimes more to the college coaches. So when he makes a pick that the coaching staff agrees on, and the college coach gives a positive review, does that mean he is ignoring his scouts? It is a subjective opinion, when a decision is being made, which input is "being ignored" versus which opinion is "being listened to". So is Breer telling the correct story by presenting subjective opinions as facts? That in and of itself is a subjective question ;)

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back