PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Breer goes back and forth on Hernandez failed drug test count

Status
Not open for further replies.
The story is that the kid slipped all the way to the fourth round.

He won the Mackey award as the best TE in college this year.

He was the 7th TE taken in the draft. Even after some legend named Joe Moeaki.

The story is that the either incorrect or uptight NFL GM's passed on this kid until the Pats got this steal of a pick at #142.

There must be some reason he slipped that far. It may be a crappy reason. It may be for a reason having nothing to do with marijuana. Maybe it's that he has short arms. But the Pats got what looks to be steal at #142. I'm interested to know why 32 NFL GMs felt Joe Moeaki and two guys who couldn't even get on the field last year were better options at the TE pick than the underclassman who won the Mackey award.

Last edited:

There must be some reason he slipped that far. It may be a crappy reason. It may be for a reason having nothing to do with marijuana. Maybe it's that he has short arms. But the Pats got what looks to be steal at #142. I'm interested to know why 32 NFL GMs felt Joe Moeaki and two guys who couldn't even get on the field last year were better options at the TE pick than the underclassman who won the Mackey award.

Yeah, what were they smoking? :p

Something tells me Breer is a regular in our forum.

Perhaps even in this thread ... :D

I changed my opinion. MoLewisRocks is right.

I'm a UConn and Jim Calhoun fan and ended up reading this today:

UConn Coach Jim Calhoun Hits a Rough Patch - WSJ.com

Front page of the WSJ.

The writer is a guy well known Calhoun hater, he wrote at a New Haven newspaper, came from UMass, friends with Calipari's people. I'm from New Haven, and there have been truly nasty things said between this guy and Calhoun's people.

The writer got a job at a Memphis newspaper while Calipari was there, and his journalist mentor is a friend of Calipari's. So, what does he do: he regurgitates a story broken by another UMass product from the Calipari days, Dan Wetzel, and he cites an anonymous source about UConn's impending NCAA violations. The violations are minor, calling the kid a few times too many, and it won't impact UConn.

Why was the story printed now? Yesterday it was reported that a top 10 recruit was leaning UConn over Kentucky.

So who is the anonymous source? I know who.

This is sports, it's not national security, and while--as a former Director of Journalism at an AAU university--I would definitely support anonymous sources for important issues, I'd say these so-called sports reporters could do better than being rumormongers. In other words, Albert Breer should stop hanging out with Kitty Kelley.

Last edited:
Holley touched on the phenomenon the other day admitting it's human nature that reporters tend to favor those who make their lives easier. Guys who don't play grab ass with ya get short shrift when the least little thing pops up or someone sniffs blood in the water. Whereas, if a guy was always pleasant and cooperative and treated you like you mattered...

Borges started the next generation trend here years ago when he landed replete with his "league sources" in Oakland. We were all impressed since Ron seemed to know more about the NFL than any local since Will. Although most everyone had their contacts on the team or in management. Whole careers were maintained as a result. When BB arrived and locked down the pipeline at Gillette, berserk mediots began cultivating other league and occasionally team sources, most often from amongst his enemies.

Like Michael said (because he learned his lesson the hard way having buried BB initially based on advice from cleveland mediots and other local sources before living with the man for two years undercover...), you have to cultivate sources where you can but you have to realize they may have agendas, too and learn to weigh what those might entail before merely regurgitating what they feed you at face value.

The pressure today's interweb multimediot faces, replete with the potential to achieve near celebrity status and rewards of your own that rival some of those uncooperative jackasses you cover by simply breaking taudry or tintillating stories, has really created a monster that has basically rung the death knell for sports journalism (if there ever really was such a thing) as we thought we knew it. Which is another reason why going forward the HOF needs to come up with a better way to select members for enshrinement than at the whim of this new generation of multimediots.

Saw too much homerism here... <.<

The story is that the kid slipped all the way to the fourth round.

He won the Mackey award as the best TE in college this year.

He was the 7th TE taken in the draft. Even after some legend named Joe Moeaki.

The story is that the either incorrect or uptight NFL GM's passed on this kid until the Pats got this steal of a pick at #142.

Hey, knock it off...TONY Moeaki was one of my draft binky's...And when healthy he is a complete TE trained by one of Bill's minions, Kirk Ferentz...which is why Pioli took him. ;)

If Hernandez had the in line blocking skills in addition to his receiving skills, the ahole who started the whisper campaign against him probably wouldn't have had nearly the impact...and it was #114... And remember, there weren't 32 GM's seriously looking for a top tier TE in this draft, just a handfull... I think we took one away from one of them twice... Think about it.

If Hernandez had the in line blocking skills in addition to his receiving skills, the ahole who started the whisper campaign against him probably wouldn't have had nearly the impact...and it was #114... And remember, there weren't 32 GM's seriously looking for a top tier TE in this draft, just a handfull... I think we took one away from one of them twice... Think about it.

You mean, like a certain Purple and Black team from down in Maryland that was miffed at the Patriots for getting their pick in late during the draft and who happened to take a TE after him?

Nah, couldn't be them...:rolleyes:

Hey, knock it off...TONY Moeaki was one of my draft binky's...And when healthy he is a complete TE trained by one of Bill's minions, Kirk Ferentz...which is why Pioli took him. ;)

Oops, my apologies to the entire Moeaki family! :D

Yeah, that's more of what I'm looking for - - why did he fall to being the 7th TE taken? The guy did win the Mackey award this year. I heard about the short arms, but other than the nefarious whispering campaign hadn't heard much else. He is smallish, maybe that was it along with weaker blocking. At the same time, many said he could be an ace as a halfback/Dallas Clark-type, then the size would not be a deterrent. He's an underclassman and healthy. Maybe, just maybe some of the GM's believed the whispering campaign (no matter how wrong it may be) and they left him alone more than they otherwise would have.

Holley touched on the phenomenon the other day admitting it's human nature that reporters tend to favor those who make their lives easier. Guys who don't play grab ass with ya get short shrift when the least little thing pops up or someone sniffs blood in the water. Whereas, if a guy was always pleasant and cooperative and treated you like you mattered...

I heard this segment. At the beginning of it, he said that he was going to call some folks out. Given the topic and the direction, I was sure he was going to name SMY for her treatment of Thomas vs The Patriots, but I think he lost his nerve and spoke only in generalities the rest of the way, except to say that one could tell which sports baltherers were being sucked up to by certain athletes by the way they consistently wrote about them.

why did he fall to being the 7th TE taken? The guy did win the Mackey award this year.

Good question and agreed, this query would be a far more intriguing "investigation", more worthy of a sports writer's time and effort. Maybe he fell due to the whispers or maybe he fell because TE's weren't an especially hot commodity at the time:confused: I forget the exact chronology but that factor might come into play, as Mo suggests. I dunno-interesting question.

I've got a very well-thought out, yet succinct response:

Who freaking cares.

Exactly; I was in his camp and often said how much I missed his analysis, something that was and is sorely missed in this town btw.

If I were BB I'd freeze every one of them out. Woodward and Bernsteins, breaking news Hernandez smoked some weed oh the horror. Poor guy, what a special way to publicly greet new players.

Advice to Hernandez: our poor excuse for sports media does not represent the fans. We've supported Kevin Faulk and we've supported Nick Kazur, just play well and fans will have your back.

Pay no attention to 'Albert Tomase'. It's us, the fans, who pay his salary ( feel free to ask around what happened to the original TomASSe) and it's Bob Kraft who pays yours. The media on the other hand, is irrelevant and meaningless. Just play well and win, the NE branch of TMZ won't be kissing the trophy- you will. And we're the ones who'll be cheering. Bottom line-fk 'em.

:ditto:

Pretty stupid to attack and rip someone over smoking some pot, I would MUCH rather he smoke a blunt four times a day than DRINK LEGALLY then go for a drive on the sidewalk...

-Breaking news! Tom Brady found at Walgreens buying Aspirin! Pictures and more at 11! (We will be running this story until November.) :bricks:

:ditto:

Pretty stupid to attack and rip someone over smoking some pot, I would MUCH rather he smoke a blunt four times a day than DRINK LEGALLY then go for a drive on the sidewalk...

-Breaking news! Tom Brady found at Walgreens buying Aspirin! Pictures and more at 11! (We will be running this story until November.) :bricks:

We don't even know in what state or country Hernandez smoked pot. In some states it's legal. New York is moving toward decriminalizing possession of small amounts.

If this perception caused him to fall to the fourth round and allowed the Pats to steal him, then it's all good to me. As long as he doesn't get suspended in the future, it's a win-win situation for New England.

Here are incontrovertible FACTS:

-Hernandez as a JUNIOR won the Mackey award this year as the best college TE in the nation
-He wasn't picked until the 4th round after 5 other TE's were taken (including the legendary Tony Moeaki by the Chiefs)

Whether or not he did in the past is immaterial NOW once the draft has occurred. The Pats got great talent value for the pick. The only thing that counts now is if he doesn't do anything to get suspended in the future.

What he said! :rocker:

The best thing to do at this point is for BB to take Hernandez aside and remind him of the no-speak rookie rules. Hernandez has said all he needs to say at this point to set the record straight, and this will be a smear on Breer more than anything in the general opinion of Pats fans. Just one more reason to hate the local media.

We don't even know in what state or country Hernandez smoked pot. In some states it's legal. New York is moving toward decriminalizing possession of small amounts.

Once again: All that counts is that in the NFL it is illegal.

He is useless to us if he doesn't see the field. This isn't a general referendum on marijuana.

Camera-gate was a similar situation. In the end, all that counted there too was the NFL judgement/rule book, not "right or wrong", or general legality (the pathetic NJ lawyer fan-suit is going down in flames as expected), etc. Remember; the only Patriots' penalties came from the league - - not civil or criminal courts, neither local, state or federal.

Folks debating (on either side of the issue) whether or not marijuana is ok in general are simply carrying on a discussion that is external to this particular issue.

If the NFL had a rule against wearing orange on gameday, you all could argue until you were blue in the face about the general qualities and civil rights of wearing the color orange - - it wouldn't change the fact that if our favorite player wears orange - - guess what? He'd be useless to us on gameday watching from a barcalounger.

More to the point is whether or not the NFL should CHANGE its rules on marijuana. THAT'S relevant.

P.S. Steroids are perfectly legal in general society. The NFL outlaws it in their rulebook. Same deal. The NFL isn't saying steroids are illegal in general, just if someone wants to be an NFL player.

Last edited:
We elected a president who smoked joints and did some lines. His life turned out pretty good and there are thousands of stories of people who smoked pot and are still great people. I actually think experimenting with sex, drugs, and alchohol is all part of growing up normally in today's society. Knowing who you are and learning it through experimentation is a good thing.
Do we have any beat writers who never smoked herb. I think some of them are still doing it. I have no respect for Breer the hack and I hope we find his skeletons hidden in his closet now.

We elected a president who smoked joints and did some lines. His life turned out pretty good and there are thousands of stories of people who smoked pot and are still great people. I actually think experimenting with sex, drugs, and alchohol is all part of growing up normally in today's society. Knowing who you are and learning it through experimentation is a good thing.
Do we have any beat writers who never smoked herb. I think some of them are still doing it. I have no respect for Breer the hack and I hope we find his skeletons hidden in his closet now.

Sigh.

Once again, this isn't about marijuana in general life.

Steroids are legal in general life also.

It's about the rules of the NFL and whether a player can be eligible according to those specific, corporate rules to actively take part on their privately owned fields.

Anyone who wants to discuss the general merits or demerits of marijuana can do so in the Political Forum.

Last edited:
heh...our resident Attila the Nun strikes again...why does this thread and these responses by Patriots fans drive you to continually attack their participation in something that concerns them?

For example, Roland's post ends with his POINT..."I have no respect for Breer the hack and I hope we find his skeletons hidden in his closet now."...THAT is a valid opinion about a relevant subject re: the Patriots...to wit, a writer citing "unnamed sources" to directly impugn the character and integrity of a Patriots player. The FACT THAT THIS DRAFTEE HAD TO COME OUT AND ISSUE A DENIAL is certainly relevant enough to be discussed on the team thread.

You would have everyone who wishes to participate in this discussion eliminate all references to "that stuff" while attempting to construct an argument pro/con vis a vis Breer's ongoing "reports". This is heavy handed, small minded and picayune and effectively shields a Breer from any repercussions from the fanbase...and as you SHOULD be able to see, there is a significant part of the PATRIOT fanbase that is incensed by Breer's bushwhacking "continuing anonymous sources reports".

It's quite obvious you have some unspoken bias toward the "stuff" and even the merest mention of it, so go ahead and burn this thread down too...and while you're at it, burn down every thread that mentions amphetamines,cocaine, painkillers,Ecstasy and absinthe...that way we'll all be able to live in Happyland, USA ever after la dee da, safe and insulated from the outside world...and the Ty Law's crossing the Canadian border stories, which, like this Breer story, are JUST NOT RELEVANT.

Last edited:
Breer is going to be on 98.5 at 9:20.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results