PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brandon Spikes suspended for banned substance for 4 games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, now this poor innocent guy was desperately searching for relief at 3am because his severe sinus pain was so intense that he couldn't think straight? What a joke. Keep drumming up these ridiculous scenarios to justify the idiocy of an NFL player taking medication without checking to make sure it doesn't contain a banned substance. That was great, tell us now how Rodney only used HGH because he had a pituitary disorder.

I don't care if he was using steroids or not since roughly %99.78 of NFL players take some sort of PED, but this line of excuse making is richer than a triple chocolate fudge cake.

Good point. It's not as if even basic pain relievers that nobody would give a second thought about taking are comprised of multiple ingredients, or anything.....

According to Excedrin.com, acetaminophen 250mg is an active ingredient in Excedrin Migraine...

Aspirin 250mg is an active ingredient in Excedrin Migraine, according to Excedrin.com.

Excedrin.com lists caffeine 65mg as a pain reliever aid in Excedrin Migraine.

The inactive ingredients in Excedrin Migraine include benzoic acid, carnauba wax, FD&C blue No. 1, hydroxypropylcellulose, hypromellose, microcrystalline cellulose, mineral oil, polysorbate 20, povidone, propylene glycol, simethicone emulsion, sorbitan monolaurate, stearic acid and titanium dioxide, according to Excedrin.com.

Ingredients In Excedrin Migraine | LIVESTRONG.COM

Just heard on WEEI. Not a good thing. Stupid move on his part.

Inexcusable behavior....shame...because he was playing so well overall this year....BB must be pi$$ed...

actifed.jpg

How they can possible consider this to be performance enhancing is a total mystery. I take this and I feel like I've been hit by a truck. Twice.

People, stop being thick. The banned OTCs are banned because they contain masking agents that allow to to pass various PED tests. The whole I was sick thing is usually just a convenient excuse for the public.

Well, there goes his rookie wall!

So are we ever going to hear anything about Chung?

People, stop being thick. The banned OTCs are banned because they contain masking agents that allow to to pass various PED tests. The whole I was sick thing is usually just a convenient excuse for the public.

why don't YOU stop being such a freakin' all knowing intergalactic message board cop and look at this...

The complete injury report after Friday's practice:

NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS

Questionable
Steven Neal, Shoulder (LP)
Rich Ohrnberger, Illness-Flu (DNP)
Jarrad Page, Calf (LP)
Myron Pryor, Back (DNP)
Brandon Tate, Illness-Flu (DNP)
Fred Taylor, Toe (LP)
Jonathan Wilhite, Hip (DNP)

that's from the Friday before the Colts game...see it?..the flu....going through the lockeroom...what do you take for the flu?...try any number of over the counter drug remedies that happen to dot the NFL's banned substance roster...Spikes is a rookie...I can see my way clear to give him a bit of leeway on this instead of pontificating from on high like my sh!t doesn't stink.

why don't YOU stop being such a freakin' all knowing intergalactic message board cop and look at this...

The complete injury report after Friday's practice:

NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS

Questionable
Steven Neal, Shoulder (LP)
Rich Ohrnberger, Illness-Flu (DNP)
Jarrad Page, Calf (LP)
Myron Pryor, Back (DNP)
Brandon Tate, Illness-Flu (DNP)
Fred Taylor, Toe (LP)
Jonathan Wilhite, Hip (DNP)

that's from the Friday before the Colts game...see it?..the flu....going through the lockeroom...what do you take for the flu?...try any number of over the counter drug remedies that happen to dot the NFL's banned substance roster...Spikes is a rookie...I can see my way clear to give him a bit of leeway on this instead of pontificating from on high like my sh!t doesn't stink.

I was talking about why OTC substances are banned, duders. Note that I never said that Spikes was innocent or guilty pf using PEDs. (I actually thought about adding the whole "I don't know is Spikes is really on PEDs or not, but these things are banned for a reason" disclaimer but I figured people would probably have good enough language skills that they'd understand the point. I guess not.)

I freaking love this board. It's like you guys troll your selves.

Last edited:
Nevermind synephrine which is one of the most common "drugs" taken by athletes before workouts when their bodies are exhausted.

Could also have been any ADD medication such as Ritalin, Aderol, or Concerta. Any amphetamine, really.

I think acetaminophen is banned, too, but I'm not entirely sure.

Regardless, dumb on his part to not know, and it is a pretty easy way to cover something up. He certainly doesn't look like a saucehead like Merriman, Cushing, and One Gap Matthews did. He also doesn't seem to be a candidate for HGH.

EDIT: Wow, that was a pretty epic half post. Don't know how the software dropped half my message but I'm far too lazy to retype. Synopsis: lots of stuff that is ******ed tests for PED's in the NFL.

Last edited:
I don't expect football players to understand the intricasies of chemical engineering. Sorry, I'm not willing to agree that a Joey Porter can even spell cat correctly. If one wants to use PED's there are numerous ways to do it without setting off the NFL drug detectors. A kid from South Florida with the sniffles going in a drugstore and buying an over the counter remedy so he won't miss a practice due to a cold in his roolie season is NOT what I would look for in someone trying to "mask" steroid use. Again, YOU are playing Judge Always Right the Almighty and your insinuation that there MAY be PED abuse behind this is unfounded and irresponsible.

I don't expect football players to understand the intricasies of chemical engineering. Sorry, I'm not willing to agree that a Joey Porter can even spell cat correctly. If one wants to use PED's there are numerous ways to do it without setting off the NFL drug detectors. A kid from South Florida with the sniffles going in a drugstore and buying an over the counter remedy so he won't miss a practice due to a cold in his roolie season is NOT what I would look for in someone trying to "mask" steroid use. Again, YOU are playing Judge Always Right the Almighty and your insinuation that there MAY be PED abuse behind this is unfounded and irresponsible.

If you're still talking to me then all I can say is you simply don't understand what I am typing and are doing a lot of projecting.

My point, as crystal clear as I can make it, is that a lot of things that sound innocent are banned simply because they are used to mask PEDs on piss/blood tests. So just saying "it's a cold medicine, nothing to see here" is completely unfounded.

Brandon may or may not be masking something, I don't know, but the banned substance lists exist to remove all doubt (assuming the NFL list is even very good). Things tend not to be added wily nilly.

Capische?

yeah..I understand....you are a strunes....just saying "this is a cold medicine, nothing to see here" is founded if THIS is what he did. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, given the circumstances leading up to this. Obviously, you aren't. Must be boring living in a black and white world.

If you're still talking to me then all I can say is you simply don't understand what I am typing and are doing a lot of projecting.

My point, as crystal clear as I can make it, is that a lot of things that sound innocent are banned simply because they are used to mask PEDs on piss/blood tests. So just saying "it's a cold medicine, nothing to see here" is completely unfounded.

Brandon may or may not be masking something, I don't know, but the banned substance lists exist to remove all doubt (assuming the NFL list is even very good). Things tend not to be added wily nilly.

Capische?
The active ingredients in most cold medicines are used to aid performance not mask performance enhancing drug use.

I believe Spikes made a simple mistake and nothing more. He even admitted so much with his public announcement by not checking the product first.

As I mentioned earlier these guys know what the policy on substances are known and unknown.

Last edited:
As for cold medicines, pseudoepehdrine is considered a stimulant. It's also used in the manufacture of meth and that's why it's sold from behind the counter in the pharmacy now. It's sold under the brand name of sudafed, a common cold medicine. Yeah, I can see why it'd be banned.

yeah..I understand....you are a strunes....just saying "this is a cold medicine, nothing to see here" is founded if THIS is what he did.

Sure. I'm with you on that. We'll probably never know, unless he gets popped again.

I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, given the circumstances leading up to this. Obviously, you aren't. Must be boring living in a black and white world.

You were doing all right until this. I never drew a conclusion about Spikes. In fact, I like the guy and hoped he was just smoking pot. :bricks:

The active ingredients in most cold medicines are used to aid performance not mask performance enhancing drug use.

True. I don't really know what chemical he got popped for. The point is that they are banned for a reason.

I believe Spikes made a simple mistake and nothing more. He even admitted so much with his public announcement by not checking the product first.

I would like to believe this. To be honest I don't know. I would never have expected Rodney to cheat.

As I mentioned earlier these guys know what the policy on substances are known and unknown.

Yup.

Holy shiite!! Smoking pot???Then what would you have suggested? Ripping out his lungs because the THC stays in the lining for three months?

What a crazy thread.

Really - the defense of Spikes is that he got a cold? "Dude got a cold, leave him alone!"

It's the winter. There are hundreds of NFL players who get a cold. There aren't hundreds being suspended. All teams spend large amount of money to train their players so this doesn't happen.

Flying to Chicago for the game on Sunday. Still expecting a win, but this was a downer.

Last edited:
why is a Jets troll going to see the Pats in Chicago? You hate them THAT much, Softboiled?

Holy shiite!! Smoking pot???Then what would you have suggested? Ripping out his lungs because the THC stays in the lining for three months?

www . urineluck . com

(this is a joke, is that ok?)

Last edited:
why is a Jets troll going to see the Pats in Chicago? You hate them THAT much, Softboiled?

Why is mental health patient out on leave, posting on this site under "Joker"?

Stay on topic. And don't ask questions that require answers that you wouldn't understand.

Don't you have a 18pt font to stalk?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes