PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brandon King . LB or not LB

Status
Not open for further replies.

long distance

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Somewhat ironically Kyed published this earlier today . before more bad LB news:
What Position Does Patriots Special-Teams Ace Brandon King Really Play?
____

quotes:

“I came in playing safety and got brought here playing defensive back, and shortly after ended up moving to linebacker,” King said

“We had a little bit more depth at linebacker in this game — five plus Brandon King, so those guys helped to supplement the front with the depth that we were missing on the defensive line,” Belichick said after LAC game.

“With players like that a lot of times their role starts situationally first as opposed to playing on all three downs,” Belichick said Tuesday in a conference call. “I’d say that’s probably the way it is with most players like that. Brandon has good size, and he can run, and he’s athletic, plays well on his feet and has good speed, but yeah, somewhere between those positions. He played defensive line in college. I think in this league it’s a little more of a safety-to-linebacker, somewhere in that range he would fit.”

Obviously, King is yet another Bademosi-type "secret weapon" that the ever-diabolical BB is just waiting to spring on some poor, unsuspecting offense at a later date.

;)

Obviously, King is yet another Bademosi-type "secret weapon" that the ever-diabolical BB is just waiting to spring on some poor, unsuspecting offense at a later date.

;)

Like with all ST players you'd like to see what they can give in regular game. There's a history of ST guys becoming productive players here . but yes, let's ignore that and ***** about JAGs..;)

Has King ever played defense at any point in time during the preseason etc? He might be the only guy on the roster that is a complete mystery to us fans.

Has King ever played defense at any point in time during the preseason etc? He might be the only guy on the roster that is a complete mystery to us fans.

He played in the last game and did pretty good.

Like with all ST players you'd like to see what they can give in regular game. There's a history of ST guys becoming productive players here . but yes, let's ignore that and ***** about JAGs..;)

This may be the Star LB you've been preaching about all summer. I love it. This is the guy you've been looking for. :D

He played all over the field at auburn. Even DE I believe! It's about time they got him in there!!

I have huge confidence in him. At least he's not slow.

Somewhat ironically Kyed published this earlier today . before more bad LB news:
What Position Does Patriots Special-Teams Ace Brandon King Really Play?
____

quotes:

“I came in playing safety and got brought here playing defensive back, and shortly after ended up moving to linebacker,” King said

“We had a little bit more depth at linebacker in this game — five plus Brandon King, so those guys helped to supplement the front with the depth that we were missing on the defensive line,” Belichick said after LAC game.

“With players like that a lot of times their role starts situationally first as opposed to playing on all three downs,” Belichick said Tuesday in a conference call. “I’d say that’s probably the way it is with most players like that. Brandon has good size, and he can run, and he’s athletic, plays well on his feet and has good speed, but yeah, somewhere between those positions. He played defensive line in college. I think in this league it’s a little more of a safety-to-linebacker, somewhere in that range he would fit.”

A backup element for a theoretical 425 base?

Look, we have lots of guys that come in an play barely sufficient but get their responsibility done just enough to contribute to the win.
Maybe King will make a last second goal line hard tackle causing a TO to preserve the win in the SB, and ends up being a primary contributor on D the very next year. Naaa, that kinda stuff never happens :)

Too many of them.

Aside from the P, K and LS, the Pats have three guys who haven't played a snap on either offense or defense, and three more whose snap counts on O or D are in the single digits. One of the "single-digit" guys is Langi, and another is Reilly (who was just promoted from the PS). The 3rd is Slater who has about 8 snaps at WR in the 4 games he's been active.

This is additional evidence for the SS-LB hybrid that some of us talk about.

It reminds me of Mayo's comments about the DE-LB-Edge distinctions breaking down at times in the newest quick slant podcast. Thanks @Mike the Brit for linking that!

It also reminds me of how Brady Stevens believes that there are 3 basketball positions now, rather than 5.

I don’t have the five positions anymore," Stevens said. "It may be as simple as three positions now, where you're either a ball-handler, a wing or a big... It's really important. We've become more versatile as the years have gone on."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back