PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brandin Cooks unhappy - should Bill bring Cookie back?

You seem to conveniently forget the best WR the Patriots had during Brady's entire run. No, I am not comparing Harry to Moss, but to imply that the Patriots can't win with a big WR that wins the jump balls, means you failed to watch the Patriots during their 16-0 2007 season.
You seem to be forgetting that Moss could and often would outrun everyone else on the field. He was not even close to the kind of post-up WR that Harry is. Moss could do that but did not rely on that because he could literally do it all.

Exactly, Harry's college scouting report NEVER in a million years fit in with the Patriots profile of what they want in a WR. The system demands quick, shifty, intelligent WRs who run great routes, and get separation early so they can run the 'paper cut' 'dink and dunk' system that reliably completes a lot of short yardage passes and occasionally breaks a few long gains on play action and screens. It was a DUMB indefensible draft choice at the time of the pick and in hindsight. And there were a lot better prospects if you wanted to break the mold and go after a long yardage X receiver, such as the guys we passed on DK Metcalf, AJ Brown, etc. etc.
I would agree with your assessment, but think about this. At the time the Pats were trying to placate Brady and give him more help. If you are Bradyl one of the things you need is a big WR who can win contested balls, and back shoulder passes, something that Brady threw well. The last 3 WR acquisitions that the Pats made while Brady was here were Henry Sanu. and Brown. 3 guys that seem catered to Brady's game. Harry was slow getting out of the gate and Sanu suddenly couldn't stay on the field., and Brown just self destructed.

People can criticize the results of those two acquisitions, but they should stop saying that Bill wasn't responsive to Tom's needs.

If you keep getting banners you're going to run out of room to post.
I’m sure many will be devastated if that happened.

As long as its not for a lot of draft capital and he reduces his salary. I still shake my head when he was running in a circle like a squirrel 1st quarter of the SB and got knocked out of the game. He also failed to come down with big plays against us in the Superbowl when he was on the Rams

He's a speedster that can make some plays, and would certainly be a nice addition to the offense, but not if he still wants top money and not if Houston wants anything more than a mid round pick for him

or this

brandin-cooks-knocked-out.gif

I'm not getting invested, especially since we all are still celebrating N'Keal Harry Liberation Day, the day he came off the milk carton. But every time I see a Cooks catch on the highlights or Red Zone I get a little nostalgic.

No. If they were a serious challenger and a deep threat was all they needed then I might see it differently, but I wouldn’t give up the draft capital or the cap space for him right now.

I really like Cooks when he was with the Saints, and I loved the trade for him, however once he came here it became clear that he only runs three routes, go deep, stop and go deep, stop and come back to the ball. He’s a superior athlete, who could have worked his ass off to become a great route runner, like AB, but apparently never bothered to put in the time. I was glad they got a first back for him and I would only take him as a free agent for less than 6 million a season.

Yes. I’d be okay with trading Harry or even Agolar away to make it happen. We’ve just added some fresh blood at CB today, doubt there’s going to be any stellar DB talent available so we should see how the new additions and Wade coming back from injury work out. Meanwhile Cooks would improve the offense. Do it.

No to Agholor; yes to Harry. In a heartbeat.

If the NFL allows this?
Harry. Do this:

edit
You tube blocked vid, my bad

D.K. Metcalf 84 Yard Touchdown on Marshon Lattimore​

so, has anyone clearly and succinctly outlined why we ever got rid of cooks to begin with?

You seem to be forgetting that Moss could and often would outrun everyone else on the field. He was not even close to the kind of post-up WR that Harry is. Moss could do that but did not rely on that because he could literally do it all.
I was thinking the same way when I saw the post. Moss was one of a kind.

I didn't care much for him when he was here and I don't want him back at any cost.

so, has anyone clearly and succinctly outlined why we ever got rid of cooks to begin with?
Succinctly, money: Brandin Cooks Contract Details, Salary Cap Charges, Bonus Money, and Contract History | Over The Cap

They traded their 1st & 3rd round picks for Cooks & a 4th. Paid him $1.5M for that season (the 4th year of his rookie contract). Picked up his 5th year option. Found out he wanted big bucks in free agency. Traded him and a 4th round pick to the Rams for their 1st & 6th round picks. Used the first round pick to draft Isaiah Wynn.

Was getting paid #1 elite WR money when he isn't a #1 WR or elite, hes a good deep threat and more of a complimentary luxury piece to an offense

We really should have just signed Cooks back in 2017 instead of crappy Hogan and now awful Agahlor. It is pretty ironic that so many want him back now on the cheap and he is only 28. We could have had him this whole time.

We really should have just signed Cooks back in 2017 instead of crappy Hogan and now awful Agahlor. It is pretty ironic that so many want him back now on the cheap and he is only 28. We could have had him this whole time.

As often happens here, people assume that if the team offers a player a contract, they will just take it. Poof! Extension signed. It doesn't work that way. The Patriots most likely tried to extend Cooks in 2017 (he had a year left on his rookie contract at that time) and he more than likely rebuffed that offer. Why? Because he knew he'd get more in free agency.

And he did - in 2018, he signed a 5 year, $81,000,000 contract with the Los Angeles Rams, including a $7,000,000 signing bonus, $49,459,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $16,200,000.

That's why he was traded. That is crazy money for what Brandin Cooks did for that one year he was with the Pats.

Agholor is averaging .2 fewer yards per target than Cooks...7.6 to 7.8. More than $5 million/year cheaper than Cooks.

Do go on...

Chiefs would make a lot of sense for Cooks. He would improve them significantly, and they’re thin on options. I think he’d be a nice addition to the Patriots, but I’m guessing the draft comp won’t be cheap, and they need to be adding, not subtracting, draft capital.

Also, next year he’s $15M against the cap and 7.5M to cut him. That’s not an ideal contract situation.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back