PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Branch Speaks: "I have three kids. I take care of them. Not the Patriots."

Status
Not open for further replies.
maverick4 said:
PatsRI, well said, but I have a different opinion on this whole 'honoring your contract' argument regarding Branch. It seems to me that holding out IS allowed as part of the contract, and the contract stipulates certain penalties for doing so. Similar to how the Patriots can cut any player without paying the rest of that man's contract, I think the players are entitled to any weapons at their disposal, as stipulated under their signed agreements.

I personally believe a man's word and reputation is sacred, but for this situation, all this 'keeping your word' stuff doesn't ring with me. It seems that Deion's move is legal and not 'breaking his word' under the current contracts and rules.

I'm not sure of the language in the contract but isn't that arguement sort of like saying (and I'm using the extreme here), I CAN murder someone but there is a punishment for it it just depends on the degree of murder I commit. IF it's involuntary manslaughter (hold out for a week or two) then the penalty is light. But if I go over the top, murder in the 1st degree (hold out over 10 weeks of the regular season) then I get really punished (lose the year of service). Again obviously that's an extreme analogy and maybe the contracts state it's in a player's rights to hold out with consequences. I thought it would just be: if a player does this then his punishment will be this.

maverick4 said:
Not at all. Anything over 20k/year is basically a standard of living and future of family issue, for someone fighting for 75k a year or someone fighting for 6Million a year. It's just tough because we don't understand the world of professional sports and refuse to understand we would do the same thing if in their shoes.

You would do the same as Branch, not everyone would. If you have money convictions, stand by them, don't try to explain them away by saying "everybody would." Because everybody wouldn't.

Here's the difference in your above example. If a family is making 20K a year, then 75K will be a tremendous increase in it's quality of living. That extra 50K will provide things not available to a family trying to live on 20K.

If a player is offered 6 mil a year (or 5.5 or whatever Branch was offered) and insists on getting 6.5 mil a year, his quality of life will not be affected at all. Going from 6 mil a year to 6.5 mil a year is not the same as going from 20K a year to 75K a year.

An extra 50K to the 20K family provides housing, education, security, and medical assistance. The extra .5 mil above and beyond 5 or 6 million provides nothing extra.

When a player wants 7 mil instead of 6 mil, that is not about taking care of his family. It is about treating money as a source of respect and self esteem. (I am worth that much. They disrespect me by offering less.) Nothing wrong with that, everyone is entitled to thier values and priorities. But don't confuse refusing to honor a contract in order to get an extra mil or so as making a difference in the player's life. Not like a family going from 20K to 75K.

(Comparing Branch to a family making 20K was a bit ludicrous anyway.)

No one needs to paint him as a conniving, dishonest villian because that's exactly what he is. Those are his true colors.

The team was under no obligation to extend another offer to deion. The offer might not have been market value, but it was a fair offer none the less.

The slimy little turd jumped his contract and got away with it. If he led the team and his teammates to believe he was so unhappy and upset that he wasn't with them and then ran off laughing with his big bag of money, then I wish nothing but bad things for him. Chamaleon!!!

maverick4 said:
Before people start using that kid quote and letting their hate boil over:
You would do the exact same thing as a professional athlete and you know it. Athletes are no different from you and me in terms of seeking monetary compensation.

Really"no different then you or me" well i do not know about you but i have never had to choose between 8 MILLION garnuteed and 23 MILLION garnuteed.

How about you???

As to the reference About taking care of his kids....that is a pathetic excuse which is not based in the reality, 10 MILL or 20 mill is not about taking care of your kids or as other famous atheltes have said " i have to feed my family"

When one is talking about 10 MILL or 20 Mill garnuteed the motovation has nothing to do with NEED and to attempt to paint it in those terms is insulting to us fans who ultimately are going to pay the bill.

Dieon stop hiding behind your KIDS and be a man for this once and a fess up to being the selfish greedly little coward your actions have proven you to be.

PatsRI said:
Basically in my mind Deion has the right to look for more money for him and/or his family WHEN AND ONLY WHEN he has fufilled his obligation to his employer. The rules of the CBA have been in place since before Deion was ever drafted.

But the rules of the CBA say your last year of contract will expire if you hold out and return before game 10, and there isn't much of a deterrent there with the fine. So, Deion was actually playing the CBA for all it was worth. And guess what? He and his agent played that CBA like maestros. I never would have thought that they'd be rewarded like this. If I'm a player and I feel I'm being ripped off, I have to look at Deion's holdout and say, it's a serious option.

upstater1 said:
If I'm a player and I feel I'm being ripped off, I have to look at Deion's holdout and say, it's a serious option.

Believe it or not, there may be a few players out there who have some dignity, loyalty and or class. If every player in the league acted like Branch, there'd be no NFL.

brady2brown said:
You would do the same as Branch, not everyone would. If you have money convictions, stand by them, don't try to explain them away by saying "everybody would." Because everybody wouldn't.

Here's the difference in your above example. If a family is making 20K a year, then 75K will be a tremendous increase in it's quality of living. That extra 50K will provide things not available to a family trying to live on 20K.

If a player is offered 6 mil a year (or 5.5 or whatever Branch was offered) and insists on getting 6.5 mil a year, his quality of life will not be affected at all. Going from 6 mil a year to 6.5 mil a year is not the same as going from 20K a year to 75K a year.

An extra 50K to the 20K family provides housing, education, security, and medical assistance. The extra .5 mil above and beyond 5 or 6 million provides nothing extra.

When a player wants 7 mil instead of 6 mil, that is not about taking care of his family. It is about treating money as a source of respect and self esteem. (I am worth that much. They disrespect me by offering less.) Nothing wrong with that, everyone is entitled to thier values and priorities. But don't confuse refusing to honor a contract in order to get an extra mil or so as making a difference in the player's life. Not like a family going from 20K to 75K.

I can't agree. First off, you need to look at guaranteed money. Because the contract can explode at any time. If Deion is getting $8 mill from the Patriots and $12 million from the Hawks, after taxes and agents fees and union dues and NFL pension, that's a comparison of $3.5 million versus $4.6 million. Look at the top tax rate in the low 30%, and then tack on mass Tax and property (another 10%) and social secuirty, medicaid, NFL union stuff, and you're approaching 50% easy. Then the agent grabs 10%.

In my view, when you're talking about the difference between 3.5m and 4.6m, that's a big consideration especially if you have a sick kid and a career that could end instantly.

upstater1 said:
But the rules of the CBA say your last year of contract will expire if you hold out and return before game 10, and there isn't much of a deterrent there with the fine. So, Deion was actually playing the CBA for all it was worth. And guess what? He and his agent played that CBA like maestros. I never would have thought that they'd be rewarded like this. If I'm a player and I feel I'm being ripped off, I have to look at Deion's holdout and say, it's a serious option.
That's fine but just like some fans complain when a team doesn't keep/cuts a guy they like fans have the right to mad at a player for doing the same manipulating. If we can call Jeremy Jacobs and Harry Sinden cheap SOBs then we can call Deion a traitor or whatever. I guess it all comes down to personal convictions.

fgssand said:
Remember poor Robert Edwards? He is still playing football, in Canada for the Toronto Argonauts. He is also taking care of his family, the hard way. Deion is one hit away, or one fluke injury away from disaster. It could be the next hit.

He got his money, right now and good for him.
This is all very good, but how muchmore did he get? Was it worth his word? He promisedin April to honor his contract. Was that extra month worth selling his word over?

Edwards is a bad example for you to use. He had played one year of a rookie contract. And Kraft did right by him.

Try Darryl Stingley.

BradyManny2344 said:
Believe it or not, there may be a few players out there who have some dignity, loyalty and or class. If every player in the league acted like Branch, there'd be no NFL.

It's part of the RULES of the league. You call it dignity, but the fact is, these are the rules that everyone agrees to BEFORE they pay or play. The NFL allows players to nullify their contracts with these moves the same way it allows teams to nullify the contracts of players. This goes on in the business world all the time. People take off for brighter pastures even when under contract. People also get axed all the time. It has nothing to do with dignity. It has everything to do with collective bargaining.

I do agree with you that the CBA and holdouts are horse**** and that they are insulting to the fans who pay these salaries, but that's the fault of the owners who are too greedy to install real penalties, because the price of ending holdouts is giving more pie to the players.

PatsRI said:
That's fine but just like some fans complain when a team doesn't keep/cuts a guy they like fans have the right to mad at a player for doing the same manipulating. If we can call Jeremy Jacobs and Harry Sinden cheap SOBs then we can call Deion a traitor or whatever. I guess it all comes down to personal convictions.

I totally agree. I think this is horrible for the fans. I hate it. I wish this avenue wasn't available for players. AND I'm worried that players will see this as an opportunity to screw with the Patriots. I agree that the fans are being hosed in this situation because they PAID for Deion's services, and they're not going to get them.

Plus, nowadays guys have insurance on their bodies. If Deion gets a career ending injury, he gets millions in insurance.

brady2brown said:

You twisted my comparison, and your example misses the point. I am talking about after basic needs. Forget 20k to 70k. How about from 90k to 105k? There are plenty of people who fight for that, and do you hate their guts too? At some point or salary level it's all about self respect, getting as much as you can, and has nothing to do with just 'feeding your family'. Almost all of us do it.

upstater1 said:
I can't agree. First off, you need to look at guaranteed money. Because the contract can explode at any time. If Deion is getting $8 mill from the Patriots and $12 million from the Hawks, after taxes and agents fees and union dues and NFL pension, that's a comparison of $3.5 million versus $4.6 million. Look at the top tax rate in the low 30%, and then tack on mass Tax and property (another 10%) and social secuirty, medicaid, NFL union stuff, and you're approaching 50% easy. Then the agent grabs 10%.

In my view, when you're talking about the difference between 3.5m and 4.6m, that's a big consideration especially if you have a sick kid and a career that could end instantly.
My point was that you cannot compare athletes gong for an extra million to everyday workers going for thousands. The example what's-his-name44 used was that the extra money Deion went for was like a family going from 20K to 75K. And if you think that is the same as going from 3.5 mil to 4.6 mil, then you are a young person yet to try to raise a family.

It's okay to want all the money you can put your hands on. Everyone is allowed to have their own priorities, including Deion. Just admit it. Don't smoke us with that "did it for my family" bs. Your family would like to see you happy. If money makes you happy, great. Just be honest. Givens was. He said it was all about the money. Does anyone here not respect Givens? The man was honest and upfront. Deion is a lying little weasal who did not keep his work, honor his contract, and sold his word for money.

Last edited:
upstater1 said:
It's part of the RULES of the league.

Sure, it's all part of the rules of the league, but there is still a definition of right and wrong outside of the given rules. I happen to believe what Deion was doing was unfair and unethical. Self-interest is OK and natural up to a certain point.

At the end of the day who cares why he left...he is gone. It is time to look to the future. I don't like what Branch did, how he went about it, but oh well, I look forward to getting the last laugh. I work in Retail, which is a very competetive enviroment. I get calls from head hunters all the time, I could switch to another company today and increase my Salary $15,000 to 25,000. But with that comes a price. There is something to be said about quality of life and a positive employment surrounding. That is why when other companies take people who work for me, I laugh......Because in about 2-4 months I will get a call from them looking to come back, " Man there killing me working 65hrs a week here. I never take them back as I believe it is a valuable lesson for one to learn. I firmly believe when all is said and done The Pats will come out smelling pretty good on this, and the sucker won't be Deion, but the Seahawks. Fools Gold

maverick4 said:
Before people start using that kid quote and letting their hate boil over:
You would do the exact same thing as a professional athlete and you know it. Athletes are no different from you and me in terms of seeking monetary compensation.

We all have countless co-workers, schoolmates, or neighbors who chased salary increases or job promotions or job positions, and we haven't hated them, or have those people 'dead to you'.

The Pats got a good deal in return, and Branch found a willing taker for his services. It's fine, and let's just move on. No need to crucify the guy.

The countless co-workers, schoolmates, neighbors would have honored the contract they signed. I have no problem with him going after the all-mighty dollar if he finished out his contract but he didn't.

Screw him, the Pats made him a good offer and he didn't even counter. He's an ass.

brady2brown said:
My point was that you cannot compare athletes gong for an extra million to everyday workers going for thousands. The example what's-his-name44 used was that the extra money Deion went for was like a family going from 20K to 75K. And if you think that is the same as going from 3.5 mil to 4.6 mil, then you are a young person yet to try to raise a family.

It's okay to want all the money you can put your hands on. Everyone is allowed to have their own priorities, including Deion. Just admit it. Don't smoke us with that "did it for my family" bs. Your family would like to see you happy. If money makes you happy, great. Just be honest. Givens was. He said it was all about the money. Does anyone here not respect Givens? The man was honest and upfront. Deion is a lying little weasal who did not keep his work, honor his contract, and sold his word for money.

$1 million dollars is not going to cut it when you have a sick kid in need of insurnce. There are tens of thousands of American families all over the country that have been bankrupted by the illness of a child. That's our health care system. In your scenario you're thinking of the perfect American family, insurance, no health issues. That's not a guarantee for everyone. As soon as Deion loses his job, he has 6 more months of insurance, and then no company on earth will pick him up.

BradyManny2344 said:
Sure, it's all part of the rules of the league, but there is still a definition of right and wrong outside of the given rules. I happen to believe what Deion was doing was unfair and unethical. Self-interest is OK and natural up to a certain point.

How is that more unethical than ownership that signs a player to a huge deal and has no intention paying the bulk of it at the end?

People need to stop with the whole 'keep his word' BS. It has nothing to do with anything. Branch is doing what the CBA allows him to do. It is WRITTEN IN. He didn't do some sort of weird deception.

Troy has always been my personal fave'
What a hard worker-but I'll certainly miss Deion.
I found out later today and I'm relieved more than anything

I'm not mad at Deion at all-he's a brave dude and a cool guy-
Time to move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back