PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Branch Speaks: "I have three kids. I take care of them. Not the Patriots."

Status
Not open for further replies.
upstater1 said:
Who knows? Recently, he changed his tune. He had some gripes about being cut. Certainly, his contract wasn't absurd. I think he was being paid too much, but it wasn't a ridiculous amount.

Willie was due $7M in roster bonus and salary and would have counted $8.3M against the cap. If he didn't know that was a dummy year than Willie was the dummy.

In April the Seahawks signed Nate Burleson to a 7 year $49M contract to be their backup #1 WR. One or more of Burleson or Branch or Jackson will never see 2008 in a Seattle uni. Because if you have 3 #1's it probably means you don't have any - just 3 guys being paid like #1's. The are operating in a window with Holmgren and desperate not to suffer the predictable post superbowl losers fate. The loss of Hutchinson will not be mitigated by adding another #2 to their receiving corps. Hasselbeck spent more time on his ass yesterday than Tommy did. He's used to throwing to 6-footers. Playing with a smurf will take more than two weeks of adjusting. And Alexander averaging 2.7YPC with Ashworth.

If Deion had been injured this season after signing a reasonable deal with the Kraft family, they would have kept him on the payroll even at the expense to the cap because of his history here. Seattle owes him nothing beyond his signing bonus, and even that can be recouped to an extent.

As for the kids, he's just put 3000 more miles between himself and the twins who live in GA with their mother and family. They will be lucky to see him in a bye week during a six month season. NFL players today have medical benefits most of us can only dream about. When Tedy was at MGH he was on the floor with the mahogany paneling and gormet chef and consierge service. Deion risked his 5th vesting season and had he been injured during his holdout he would risked his pension and retirement benefits including a very generous account the teams contribute to to fund medical insurance costs for retired players.

But I think when all is said and done, he will regret more than the missed regular visits with his oldest kids. He will miss Tommy and the rapore they built and the teamates he won 2 rings with. Hasselbeck is a nice QB. But it took him years to develop into that and he ain't headed to Canton. Deion will become just another in a long line of WR's brought to Seattle to help that development. Albeit the least productive and shortest to date. But then this is a team who lost Hutchinson because they wouldn't do a long term deal voluntarily and transition tagged instead of franchised him. And then overpaid Tom Ashworth to be something he isn't either.

go **** yourself deion.

you worthless piece of ****

His kids? I'll tell you what Deion, you can kiss my white ass. I have two kids of my own and my wife and I's combined salaries aren't 1/10th. of what your rookie contract would have paid you this season. We're getting by just fine. You're a greedy ***** just like the rest of them only you actually had me fooled for a little while.

He's gotta get paid, well, hey, that's the way it is.

primetime said:
He's gotta get paid, well, hey, that's the way it is.
Yeah, apparantly our $6 million/year+ wasn't good enough.

Brownfan80 said:
"To hold out against an organization like the Patriots it can’t just be about money. Money’s always involved because this is a business. They let you know that from the first day you come into the NFL. But to go through this and stay strong, money can’t be your main purpose."

As I read this quote I was reminded of the quotes that Willie let fly when he signed with the Browns. Something to the effect of him not wanting to be involved in what was going on with the Patriots these days.

Branch's comments seem to indicate something deeper than money was involved, as did McG's. Is it lip service to hide greed? Or is there really some player led movement against the FO in the lockerroom? I have a feeling we won't know for years, but when we do finally know, I hope it sheds some light on everything that we've scratched our heads about through the years.

I'd read that book.

Did Milloy have the quote that we're all about winning. Like that's a bad thing LOL!

Alk said:
Yeah, apparantly our $6 million/year+ wasn't good enough.

Sorry, I didn't realize the Tupac lyrics would go over the head of most here, so I'll just point out that it was sarcasm. ;)

Branch can't feed 3 kids on what the Pats offered???

What does he feed them, Rolex loaf with gold stuffing and a bling garnish?

Another mercenary. Good riddence.:mad:

primetime said:
Sorry, I didn't realize the Tupac lyrics would go over the head of most here, so I'll just point out that it was sarcasm. ;)
LOL, sorry, not a big Pac fan. I wasn't really mad, it was more of a shot directed at Branch if anything. I'd just about walk 2,000 miles just to roshambo his ass.

Last edited:
RayClay said:
Don't tell me your family can't get by on another million this year until the 6.25 million the Patriots offered kicks in.

FWIW - Branch did not have to wait a year to benefit from the Patriots' offer. He would have gotten a $4 million signing bonus this year.

Not just about the money? I guess there's an instrinsic value in leaving New England for him? I don't see why there would be ... I mean with our great fans and media and all!

RI Pats Fan said:
Not just about the money? I guess there's an instrinsic value in leaving New England for him? I don't see why there would be ... I mean with our great fans and media and all!

This is the part I do not get, seems to be happening quite a bit lately.. why leave this franchise and go to another town, uproot your family, learn a new system and play in a new division. Is it always about the cash??

GJAJ15 said:
This is the part I do not get, seems to be happening quite a bit lately.. why leave this franchise and go to another town, uproot your family, learn a new system and play in a new division. Is it always about the cash??
Yep "not about the money". Must be because of the crappy facilities, no wait they have state of the art ones. Must be the screaming failure of a head coach, hmmmm. Must be the tension and hatred between players in the locker room, oh these were his friends? The crappy QB? The lack of spending by the owner after winning? Can just push those giant rocks out of the way Deion the glare is in my eyes. Must be the Clemens get coser to my family? Oh that's right Seattle is on the other coast then your children. Meddling owner? Hatred from the fans, lack of support from the fans? Better endorsement chances? Well I guess, yeah, the "respect" issue? Wait it is about the money. Just say it!

maverick4 said:
Before people start using that kid quote and letting their hate boil over:
You would do the exact same thing as a professional athlete and you know it. Athletes are no different from you and me in terms of seeking monetary compensation.

We all have countless co-workers, schoolmates, or neighbors who chased salary increases or job promotions or job positions, and we haven't hated them, or have those people 'dead to you'.

The Pats got a good deal in return, and Branch found a willing taker for his services. It's fine, and let's just move on. No need to crucify the guy.
Firstly, speak for yourself...you have NO right to claim others would do any EXACT same thing....I think it's a total falsehood to compare money the atheltes make and what most of us make...it simply isn't comparable. For most of us every small amount matters..it's a matter of lifestyle...to an athlete, it's far beyond that. Branch is a greedy weasel..please don't compare apples to oranges..they don't mix. Yes, actually I think people SHOULD take it out on Branch..he had a contract and totally spit on it..THAT is dishonerable. And the more people don't do that, it encourages others. There is NOTHING honorable the punk has done. No it's not fine at all...and to many who make excuses for his total misbehavior are just enabling him and encouraging others to do the same.

BJ_McWild said:
I want to know what he needs to do for his kids that couldn't be accomplished with the Pats' offer of $6M per year.

It's a cynical and really stomach-turning conceit to hide behind providing for your kids when you are talking about the millions of dollars that pro athletes make.

See you later Deion.
I agree...THAT is the real issue...What can he NOT do with 5 mill that the Pats offered.

maverick4 said:
It's just tough because we don't understand the world of professional sports and refuse to understand we would do the same thing if in their shoes.
you mean the world of millionaires..which Branch is and would have been even with the Patriot's offer??? SPEAK for yourself..with "I" not "we"...I frankly DOUBT that..

T-ShirtDynasty said:
Deion has already demonstrated that he is less than an honest individual. The young man flat out lies. 'I will not hold out' ... 'I will honor my contract' ...yada yada yada. All you guys can debate the meaning of his words, whether he's sincere about it being for his kids, or the hold out not being about the money, or his passion for the game, or whatever. Personally, I can't believe a word that comes out of his mouth, so the debate is meaningless.

The way I look at it, we somehow managed to get a first round draft pick for a guy that never caught more than 5 touchdowns in a year, and a guy that did not want to be on this team. Happy ending, and good riddance to a surprisingly low-character guy (yes, I consider being a man of your word paramount to how your character is judged).
I agree...Deion is a phony..a BIG TIME one..His words meant nothing to anyone. WHAT a low class punk..Good riddance!! For all you DB rumpswabs..just continue to defend
someone that has ZERO integrity and you will be encouragong others.

Screw Branch. He said he was going to play this season, and honor his contract. He lied. He saw that the Patriots were at a disadvantage at the WR position, and he stuck it to them.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I could feed my kids real well at $6plus M per year. Not a bad offer for a player that has the best QB in football throwing to him, and yet has never caught 100 passes. Heck, he's never caught 90............no wait 80 passes, and has never broken the 1000 yard plateau.

Branch is like so many athletes. Branch is about the $$$ Then when he gets a $31M offer, they are insulted, as they can't feed their freakin' family.

Branch is fragile. Always has been. Good luck to Seattle guaranteeing $23M during the first three years. We'll see how many games he plays for that. He's already missed the first one.

P.S. - Boo hoo Richard Seymour. Shut the eff up!!!

maverick4 said:
I personally believe a man's word and reputation is sacred, but for this situation, all this 'keeping your word' stuff doesn't ring with me. It seems that Deion's move is legal and not 'breaking his word' under the current contracts and rules.
You are defending someone whose word basically means nothing...
Wither it does or it doesn't...and Deion's words mean nothing...they are just uttered and mean ZERO. you are masically enabling him and trying to make excuses for him and that is OK...but that is what it is.

Last edited:
maverick4 said:
People need to stop with the whole 'keep his word' BS. It has nothing to do with anything. Branch is doing what the CBA allows him to do. It is WRITTEN IN. He didn't do some sort of weird deception.
SORRY....Branch said he would "honor his contract",, THAT is what came out of his mouth..not mine not anyone else's HIS MOUTH...and what he said was a LIE...HE refused to honor his contract...HE was the one who did NOT live up to HIS word. The BS is what has flowed from his mouth...lies!!! Which is why people are looking at him for what he is...scum!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back