PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Branch Speaks: "I have three kids. I take care of them. Not the Patriots."

Status
Not open for further replies.
On a side note, I am not actually sure I would want to smother my kid with my riches. I would worry about them getting every little thing they wanted, seems like that could create some issues.

Myself, I might spoil.;)

we all know

you can't feed your family with Super Bowl rings

Bottom line: Kessler hinted at much during his conversation with Felger. Deion had the NFLPA whispering in his ear, who made this case a "cause-celebre" against the Patriots organization, payback for a vendetta Tom Condon, Upshaw and others have been nursing like serpents for years. Upshaw enlisted his pi$$ boy Gorgeous Borgeous to carry his urine bucket for him, and surrounded by a phalanx of Jet loving lawyers they manipulated the system to set a precedent against hardline teams in preparation for the next round of collective bargaining. They succeeded in retroactively cancelling the 5th year of preexisting contracts for 2nd round picks around the NFL. In doing so, I guarantee you that the CBA will be dissolved in two years time and there will be a lockout by the owners. Every action has an equal and opposite reaction, and Kraft will not be so forgiving and willing to compromise come next time. Football will soon be going baseball on us. We will have to enjoy these next two years to the fullest before the house of cards collapses, I fear.

I want to know what he needs to do for his kids that couldn't be accomplished with the Pats' offer of $6M per year.

It's a cynical and really stomach-turning conceit to hide behind providing for your kids when you are talking about the millions of dollars that pro athletes make.

See you later Deion.

BradyisGod said:
Before you start telling people how they should feel, maybe you should stop making gross generalizations. Not everyone is about cash. I'm sure numerous people here could tell stories about how they have turned down money for other things, like quality of life, family time and the like.

Because you might chase the almighty dollar, does not mean that we all would.

As for the people I know that have left places I work for more money, they weren't "dead to me", but to be quite honest, I probably don't talk to them much anymore. Because when a friend leaves work, you realize why you were friends with them. The comraderie of going to work every day with them.

Sure buddy. That's easy to say sitting on your couch. Get off your soap box. If you were making $70,000 and someone offered you $125,000, I'm sure you would stay put with your "friends." What a big joke.

I'm Ron Borges? said:
Sure buddy. That's easy to say sitting on your couch. Get off your soap box. If you were making $70,000 and someone offered you $125,000, I'm sure you would stay put with your "friends." What a big joke.

No need to say it. We all know you're a big joke.

Last edited:
rookBoston said:
I find it interesting that in the game of Chicken between Branch and Belichick, Holmgren was the one who blinked.

Was that an intentional Kennedy reference?

maverick4 said:
Before people start using that kid quote and letting their hate boil over:
You would do the exact same thing as a professional athlete and you know it. Athletes are no different from you and me in terms of seeking monetary compensation.

We all have countless co-workers, schoolmates, or neighbors who chased salary increases or job promotions or job positions, and we haven't hated them, or have those people 'dead to you'.

The Pats got a good deal in return, and Branch found a willing taker for his services. It's fine, and let's just move on. No need to crucify the guy.
That's a bunch of garbage. Athletes aren't like me. They make millions and get tons of free stuff. They could be set for the rest of their lives retiring at the age of 35.

As for Deion.... I enjoy the quote.... I never missed a game when I was healthy.... well try staying healthy and you would have had an opportunity at big time stats. What other times do you miss a game? Suspension? Love Boat? Actions detrimental to the team? Health has to be the reason 90% of the time for missing a game if you're a starter.

the one bonus in all this..... now I get to scoreboard watch against seattle and hope they lose a bunch of games so that first round turns into a mid-first.

rookBoston said:
I agree. This was a great win-win-win situation for everyone. If someone got suckered, it wasn't Branch, and it wasn't the Pats. Unless he goes on to crucify the Pats organization in the Seattle press, I will remain a loyal Branch fan. He's a solid guy, a great player and was instrumental in two SB championships for us.

I find it interesting that in the game of Chicken between Branch and Belichick, Holmgren was the one who blinked.
I would have done the same thing...any businessman would. I think that it was good deal for all involved.

maverick4 said:
You would do the exact same thing as a professional athlete and you know it.

Speak for your damn self, please.

maverick4 said:
That doesn't make any sense at all. Who is to say how much is 'too much' for a professional athlete, or for a regular worker? Is it fair that an NBA player can make 10 million sitting on the bench all year? Is it fair that NFL players don't have guaranteed contracts? Is it fair that CEO's make a zillion times more than the common worker, at a rate that doesn't justify his/her pay?

One guy could be happy with 40k and still be pissed at another guy making 80k who fights for 85k. I'm almost positive that any of us, if we were talented enough to play professionally, would try to get as much as we could, because it's either going in the player's pockets, or it's going into the owner's pocket.
Sure it makes sense.

A guy making $40K vs. $80K really is talking about standard of living and the future of his famiy.

A guy making $32M vs. $39M is talking about ego, ego and nothing but ego.

Why can't athletes just be honest, my dad has 8 kids and he manages to take care of us just fine with his middle-class income. If he can do it with what he makes, then a guy making millions of dollars can too.

i am with the 50% of people who are on Branch's side. I'd dump my employer for a raise whether I am making 50K or 40M. good for him! it is only his business to know how much is enough for his kids...

maverick4 said:
You would do the exact same thing as a professional athlete and you know it. Athletes are no different from you and me in terms of seeking monetary compensation.

We all have countless co-workers, schoolmates, or neighbors who chased salary increases or job promotions or job positions, and we haven't hated them, or have those people 'dead to you'.

The Pats got a good deal in return, and Branch found a willing taker for his services. It's fine, and let's just move on. No need to crucify the guy.

I know I couldn't get by on a million a year:bricks:

DrewWho? said:
i am with the 50% of people who are on Branch's side. I'd dump my employer for a raise whether I am making 50K or 40M. good for him! it is only his business to know how much is enough for his kids...
Have you ever heard of loyalty to the people who made you who you were?

BelichickFan said:
Sure it makes sense.

A guy making $40K vs. $80K really is talking about standard of living and the future of his famiy.

A guy making $32M vs. $39M is talking about ego, ego and nothing but ego.

Not at all. Anything over 20k/year is basically a standard of living and future of family issue, for someone fighting for 75k a year or someone fighting for 6Million a year. It's just tough because we don't understand the world of professional sports and refuse to understand we would do the same thing if in their shoes.

I'm Ron Borges? said:
If you were making $70,000 and someone offered you $125,000, I'm sure you would stay put with your "friends." What a big joke.

I know plenty of people who have turned down higher paying jobs to a) stay near family/friends b) do a job they love c) work with people they like d) have more time with their family, etc., etc. In fact, the majority of people I know, $$ is certainly behind location, quality of life, time spent with family, etc. in terms of priorities. Heck, plenty of pro-athletes take less $$ to play for a team they love, Tom Brady, Bruschi, Vrabel, these guys are about the rings not the $$. All three could've gotten more $$ elsewhere or decided they are getting underpaid.

That is all besides the point. Deion Branch was set to make $1 million dollars this season. That's plenty to feed his kids off of. Since he has yet to gain 1000 yards in a season, has failed to hit any of his incentives built into his contract and only has 14 CAREER touchdowns, I'd hardly say he was underpaid. Maybe at the end of the season, it turns out yes, he overperforms what he was getting paid, but why should we anticipate that.

Bottom line, Deion wanted special treatment where there was no justification for it. He bytched and moaned his way into a payday at the expense of the team for which he was contracted to play for this season. Good for him, I guess.

DrewWho? said:
Agreed and I'll tell you why: if you could make more money per year that theoretically you could retire earlier by living within the same means. I think most people look forward to retiring as soon as possible, or at least the freedom to choose your lifestyle. I don't begrudge a player for that. I do have a slight problem with him not honoring his contract (I feel he should have done this next year) but again...good trade for the Pats and if I was offered a substantial raise by another company, gave my employer a chance to match it and they declined...buh bye

maverick4 said:
Not at all. Anything over 20k/year is basically a standard of living and future of family issue, for someone fighting for 75k a year or someone fighting for 6Million a year. It's just tough because we don't understand the world of professional sports and refuse to understand we would do the same thing if in their shoes..

Actually, their shoes are free too.:rolleyes:

RayClay said:
I know I couldn't get by on a million a year:bricks:

All of us could 'get by' on about 10,000 a year. Just basic food, shelter, clothing expenses is all we REALLY need to survive at the most basic level. After that it's just all of us trying to get as much as we can. It's the same at 30k, 70k, or 6M. A few of us do take other factors into account, but most do not.

No need to crucify Branch. Just let him walk out the door - why do we always have to tar and feather good people for doing what we would do if given the chance?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing