PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady will not shut up since leaving the Patriots

I can't WAIT for Brady's or Bill's book shining a light about the events after the 2014 AFC Championship game and the league's role in all of this.
It's been pretty well documented. Bill had no clue about it, as he does not pay attention during games to bellowing morons polluting the sidelines. Tom didn't either. Why would they? It's like the police knocking on my door now to ask me a few questions about the crack party we hosted last night, and its connection to the opioid selling business I run. Ludicrous. But CryGate was ludicrous. "Your guys aren't supposed to be there, so stop it. It's only week one, but if we catch you again we'll fine you. $10,000. Have a nice day."

I don't agree. The difference with Brady is there has never been an all-time great player whose success was credited so much to his coach and the "system." Some of it was warranted in the beginning because Brady was a 6th round pick but over 20 years the narrative was ridiculous and I would imagine nauseating to Brady. He was the GOAT QB prior to last year but that win in Tampa, in year one, on the road, beating Brees, Rodgers and Mahomes to boot did more for his personal legacy to separate him from Bill and the "Patriot Way" than any other championship IMO. It also completely flipped the national narrative about his career being a product of Bill.
The only thing I can think of near that is the Packers with Starr and Lombardi, but Brady is on another level.

The only thing I can think of near that is the Packers with Starr and Lombardi, but Brady is on another level.
Starr is an all time great - but he doesn't get the chance to do it without Lombardi.

Same situation with Brady & Belichick.

No one else would draft Tom.

Few if any other coaches would have kept Tom in there after Bedsore got activated.

Starr is an all time great - but he doesn't get the chance to do it without Lombardi.

Few if any other coaches would have kept Tom in there after Bedsore got activated.
The only problem with that thinking is that Brady went on to win again with a HC that many here called a buffoon. He and Starr probably would have been fine with another HC. After all, coaches don't win games, players do. Coaches can only lose them. :)

Bill would not have drafted Brady if not for **** Rehbein. Brady is too competitive to not have made it, even if he was taken as a free agent. He went to a pats team that was 5-11 under Bill the year before, and moved all the way from unknown QB#12 to right behind Bledsoe chomping at his heels. So to say he would not have made it is very naive. There have been 11 QB's drafted by Bill since Brady, where are they? Bill is not some QB whisperer that creates goats.;

I know he was restrained by BB during his time with the Patriots. God bless BB for keeping the muzzle on Brady...it was great. Now since he joined the bucs it is a constant stream of verbal diarrhea. Thank You Tom for the 6 championships but do you need to be such pompous ass internet tough guy now that the muzzle has been removed? Do you really need to comment on everything. Clam it up and save your energy for the football season.
Post physique.

Whose to say Brady does not get drafted in the 7th round or goes somewhere undrafted? It's not like his career was over if the Pats did not select him at #199.

I don't understand your last statement at all. Bill spoke about how Brady had already passed Bledsoe in TC in 2001 but he did not feel he had the clout yet to sit Bledsoe for Brady until Bledsoe got hurt. It was not a tough decision at all for Bill to stay with Brady when Bledsoe was healed. Just like it was not a tough decision for him to trade him to Buffalo that off-season. Brady was clearly the better QB.

Bill would not have drafted Brady if not for **** Rehbein. Brady is too competitive to not have made it, even if he was taken as a free agent. He went to a pats team that was 5-11 under Bill the year before, and moved all the way from unknown QB#12 to right behind Bledsoe chomping at his heels. So to say he would not have made it is very naive. There have been 11 QB's drafted by Bill since Brady, where are they? Bill is not some QB whisperer that creates goats.;

Bill did carry Brady as a fourth QB "which was basically a wasted roster spot". I don't think he's done that since. He knew Brady had something special enough to do that.

Whose to say Brady does not get drafted in the 7th round or goes somewhere undrafted? It's not like his career was over if the Pats did not select him at #199.

I don't understand your last statement at all. Bill spoke about how Brady had already passed Bledsoe in TC in 2001 but he did not feel he had the clout yet to sit Bledsoe for Brady until Bledsoe got hurt. It was not a tough decision at all for Bill to stay with Brady when Bledsoe was healed. Just like it was not a tough decision for him to trade him to Buffalo that off-season. Brady was clearly the better QB.

I agree mostly but there was a lot of Bledsoe support and Bill didn't have any Super Bowl clout as a HC back then so those decisions were big deals imo. Obviously he made the right one. Haha.

I agree mostly but there was a lot of Bledsoe support and Bill didn't have any Super Bowl clout as a HC back then so those decisions were big deals imo. Obviously he made the right one. Haha.
Sure. The decision was a big deal organizationally for sure. Replacing a first overall pick in his prime with a 6th round bean pole. But it was not tough from a football perspective. Brady had won the job.

Sure. The decision was a big deal organizationally for sure. Replacing a first overall pick in his prime with a 6th round bean pole. But it was not tough from a football perspective. Brady had won the job.

Love your posts so please don't take this the wrong way. It was a huge decision for BB and one that he gambled his entire career on. It was a tough decision. He chose correctly. Minimizing it discredits BBs side of things.

Love your posts so please don't take this the wrong way. It was a huge decision for BB and one that he gambled his entire career on. It was a tough decision. He chose correctly. Minimizing it discredits BBs side of things.
Thank you. I enjoy your posts too.

I don't think you are following me. I am 100 percent saying it was a ballsy decision organizationally. Maybe the ballsiest in football history.
I truly don't think it was football wise. I mean do you really think after Bill watched the way Brady commanded the team in 2001 TC and was ready then to make the move that he had second thoughts after watching Brady play for 6 games about switching back to Bledsoe? I really don't. If you do, that is fine we can agree to disagree. But I think going with Brady was probably one of the easiest football decisions of Bill's life. Now convincing Kraft might have been a different story. I don't know. Kraft has never indicated that it was a bone of contention between he and Bill so perhaps they both were on the same page when Bledsoe was healed.

(Going off memory/rounding)

2000/01 Patriots w/Bledsoe - 16 ppg
2001 Patriots w/Brady - 23 ppg

And that doesn’t even factor in the turnover factor.

But the majority of the fans, media and even the NFL personnel experts assumed Bledsoe was still superior to Brady and the success could be explained by other factors. It wasn’t until the 2003 late regular season/postseason when that argument was taken down.

(Going off memory/rounding)

2000/01 Patriots w/Bledsoe - 16 ppg
2001 Patriots w/Brady - 23 ppg

And that doesn’t even factor in the turnover factor.

But the majority of the fans, media and even the NFL personnel experts assumed Bledsoe was still superior to Brady and the success could be explained by other factors. It wasn’t until the 2003 late regular season/postseason when that argument was taken down.
I agree. But when do you think Bill knew?
I say end of TC 2001.

Technically it probably saved his career in NE. He thought he was going to be fired. Going 5-11 and then starting 0-2. They started winning, and he left the QB that was winning in, not really a legendary decision. I am not sure what would have happened if Bledsoe didnt get hurt and the team continued to regress.

I agree. But when do you think Bill knew?
I say end of TC 2001.

Maybe he knew when we knew.

I think the turning point for me was the AFCCG vs. Pittsburgh. Brady was 12/18 and got injured (I think only time in career he left a game besides ACL in 2008.)

Bledsoe came in and went 3/3, topping it off with a TD pass, and everyone got all fired up that Bledsoe was back. Then he went 7/18 and reminded us of his shortcomings. I don’t think many in NE wanted Bledsoe at that point, even though the national media tried to create a QB controversy leading up to the SB.

Belichick immediately said he was going with Brady, despite Brady’s injury, and it seemed like a very easy call. From the outside, it seemed the players wanted Brady too.

I think the Rams would have crushed a Bledsoe led team in SB36.

Maybe he knew when we knew.

I think the turning point for me was the AFCCG vs. Pittsburgh. Brady was 12/18 and got injured (I think only time in career he left a game besides ACL in 2008.)

Bledsoe came in and went 3/3, topping it off with a TD pass, and everyone got all fired up that Bledsoe was back. Then he went 7/18 and reminded us of his shortcomings. I don’t think many in NE wanted Bledsoe at that point, even though the national media tried to create a QB controversy leading up to the SB.

Belichick immediately said he was going with Brady, despite Brady’s injury, and it seemed like a very easy call. From the outside, it seemed the players wanted Brady too.

I think the Rams would have crushed a Bledsoe led team in SB36.
Drew was doing well and then he tried to throw a backwards pass over his shoulder as he was falling down. Bad Drew returned.

Drew was doing well and then he tried to throw a backwards pass over his shoulder as he was falling down. Bad Drew returned.
I watched that entire game the other day. Its odd to look back with one thing in your mind and then actually see how the game unfolded. Basically special teams was the biggest reason we won that game, that and slash inploding before our eyes. The the mystic history that Drew came in and saved us is not really accurate other than he was a body at Qb. I also wonder if Brady had a few years in the league if he would have came back in at some point. The ankle was not bad enough to even keep him out of the next game. I have seen Brady play on worse when they would let him.

If Drew played in the super bowl against the Rams I feel like the entire team would have started off feeling uneasy and just completely deflated when he inevitably threw a bad pick in the first quarter.

In retrospect, it’s more likely Good Drew made a surprise appearance before returning back to normal, subpar form.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back