Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Did Kraft make the wrong decision choosing Belichick over Brady in 2020?

• Yes (RLKAM)

• No (RLKAM)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Yes, and, what people should be most embarrassed about is creating and promoting a narrative where people have to be devoted to one side or another of a false argument just to feel like they belong to something.

Well, I certainly agree with that. It's a team game. Do your job. Because I support Bill doesn't mean I don't support Brady or the countless great coaches and players on those teams. IBWT doesn't mean we don't trust the greatest clutch QB ever.

Toilet Paper Episode 6 GIF by MacGruber

How is this even a question??

Kraft's decision not to give Brady a measly 2 year deal at $50 mil total and hitch his wagon to Bill was the WORST decision in Boston sports history. Not only did Brady go on to win the SB and have 2 of the best years of his career with a loser franchise like TB, Bill literally imploded without him leaving the team in shambles and out of a job himself. I mean this is a slam dunk all the way round IMO.

Yeah. I mean this was an interesting question right after the decision happened, but what's there to discuss now. Bill settled it himself by proving that Brady was WAAAAAAY more important and potent than BB. Brady smashed it without BB. BB crashed and burnt without Tom.

Cool story bro... like I said, fans don't understand football finances or team building.

Mahomes didn't sign his contract until 2020. Guess what the Chiefs did? The first two years of that contract (2020, 2021) they pushed the majority of his cap debt down the road. It doesn't mean that money disappears, it means it accrues.

What did the Chiefs do in 2022 when Mahomes first big cap hit was due, oh yeah, they traded Tyreek Hill and signed cheaper offensive linemen.

Here's Mahome's cap hits on his new contract and how they increase:

2020: 5.3M
2021: 7.4M
2022: 35.8M
2023: 37.1M
2024: 57.4M
2025: 60.9M

And it keeps going up and up... this entire time Mahomes has been one of the highest paid players in the league, his cap hit wasn't.

Cap debt doesn't disappear. You can move it around, pay it off in interesting and inventive ways, but there is no tax shelter for cap debt.

Yeah, the 2020 Patriots could have signed Brady or anyone they wanted, all they had to do was keep borrowing... which is how they ended up with the 3rd most dead cap in the NFL entering the 2020 offseason... and oh yeah, the team around Brady would have sucked royally.

You think 43 year old Brady wanted to suck for a season and get the snot kicked out of him so the team could pay off their debts and rebuild?

Just absurd... learn how the cap works and you learn how teams are built.

We know how cap works. Give me a break. They could have let Devin McCourty go instead of re-signing him and sign Brady instead. 2 years for $50m was nothing for a Top 5 QB for those 2 seasons. It was a monumentally stupid decision.

The winner between Brady and Bellichik is a draw.

Brady has said multiple times that Bill made him the player he was and Bill has said multiple times that Brady made him a better coach. It was the perfect match for both of them and all of us. Not sure why it’s so difficult for some fans to understand.

This thread isn't about who is better or more important between them. The question is whether BB made the right decision letting Brady go to prove he can win without him. And it's obvious that was a horrible decision.

Literally every reporter - local and national. He wanted a 2 year deal guaranteed. It was not offered. Why do you think he was so pissed when he went to Tampa? Why do you think his retirement picture was him on the sideline beating us in the rain?

Stop with the Giselle nonsense. The man said he was playing to 45 and he did just that.
It would have been one thing if Brady was your typical 40 year old and showings signs of being too old. He wasn't even when he was here. Bill should have recognized that but his ego got in his way instead and he didn't think Brady would leave. And now Brady has more rings than the Pats and every other team.

The Bucs wiped out in '23 more than twice what you claim the Pats wiped out in '20. But yea, I'm the one that doesn't understand the cap. Patriots CHOSE not to use mechanisms available to every team in cap management - void years. Every other team is doing it which allowes them to bring in talent.

You are clueless because you still believe Bill's way of managing the cap is the best way to do it. It no longer is.
Bill's still playing chess but he's doing it for real at the senior center.

That was a nice thank you that Bill gave us recently. It was the greatest run in NYFL history and he deserves our thanks in return.

Well, I certainly agree with that. It's a team game. Do your job. Because I support Bill doesn't mean I don't support Brady or the countless great coaches and players on those teams. IBWT doesn't mean we don't trust the greatest clutch QB ever.
Cause you know what's up.
Seems like if you read between the lines Team Bill might not be rooting for Mayo's success....

larry david television GIF
It happened when Brady left to Tampa wouldn't be surprised by this either

This "BB's style was lost on younger players" bit of revisionist history might have a sliver of truth to it but nowhere near enough to impact the bottom line. More talent on the roster = more wins = nary a peep about impersonal BB.
Absolutely spot on, but for some reason Bill didn't seem to value the talent that he had on the team, at least on offense.

I agree that the pendulum has swung in Brady’s favor, however I will take Tom’s and Bills word over everyone who is looking for someone to blame. Also I think players like Bruschi, McGinest, Gronk, Edelman etc… had something to do with the two dynasties.
How does blame come into play here? Blame for what? They're both great and gave us a great run but one is greater.

And the other players you mentioned also had more to do with the winning than Bill.

This thread isn't about who is better or more important between them. The question is whether BB made the right decision letting Brady go to prove he can win without him. And it's obvious that was a horrible decision.
Isn't this thread for both?

Unless you're on the Bill side of things. Then you want it all to go away even though the B vs B debate will probably go on forever.

I do get a kick out of the fans who come to a Brady vs Belichick thread because they hate it though. That makes a ton of sense. Maybe I should start heading to the draft threads to let those fans know that I don't care about the draft.

Shannon Sharpe finally changes his tune of the last 15 years and does an about-face and says it was Brady all along who carried BB. I think this will increasingly happen. BB's legacy definitely is tarnished.

Yeah. I mean this was an interesting question right after the decision happened, but what's there to discuss now. Bill settled it himself by proving that Brady was WAAAAAAY more important and potent than BB. Brady smashed it without BB. BB crashed and burnt without Tom.
How the F do I not have a person like you blocked. What is wrong with me? Besides that.

Shannon Sharpe finally changes his tune of the last 15 years and does an about-face and says it was Brady all along who carried BB. I think this will increasingly happen. BB's legacy definitely is tarnished.

Shannon Sharpe is the guy whose tongue is too big for his mouth, but he did ok in that video.

I went down the rabbit hole after that video and couldn't help but watch Larry Bird highlights. That guy was amazing and I feel blessed to have seen him on the Celtics.

We know how cap works. Give me a break. They could have let Devin McCourty go instead of re-signing him and sign Brady instead. 2 years for $50m was nothing for a Top 5 QB for those 2 seasons. It was a monumentally stupid decision.
I question whether you know how a shower cap works. But yeah, take away DMC, add Brady and that 2020 team is instantly awesome.

QB fanboys…. delusional.

Brady was a free agent, BB didn’t decide anything.

Once the Brady zealots understand how free agency and the salary cap works, we can put this fictional “BB versus Brady” garbage to bed.

They say they understand, but then make comments like this above and show they don’t.

BB drafted and developed Brady.

You don’t have one without the other. Just dumb.

Brady was a free agent, BB didn’t decide anything.

Once the Brady zealots understand how free agency and the salary cap works, we can put this fictional “BB versus Brady” garbage to bed.

They say they understand, but then make comments like this above and show they don’t.
Right. From 2014 to 2020 TB and BB the were litteraly in love with each another ... I even started to suspect Giselle become jealous... and left ...

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back