PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady the Number One Draft 'Steal' Of All Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Ian's Daily Blog - On the NFL Network on Wednesday, the NFL recapped the list of of top draft steals of all time. Of course it was Tom Brady who was picked as the number one “steal” of the draft of all time. As we all know Brady was taken in the sixth round (199th overall) of [...]

That was a good show. If I'm not mistaken it originally aired in 2007.

I wasn't sure, this was the first time I had seen it. I just find the list of people taken ahead of him that year to be pretty staggering, especially the obscure guys that I don't think are even in the league now.

The video link is available in this blog entry for anyone who would like to view it.

I wasn't sure, this was the first time I had seen it. I just find the list of people taken ahead of him that year to be pretty staggering, especially the obscure guys that I don't think are even in the league now.

The video link is available in this blog entry for anyone who would like to view it.

It is pretty remarkable, but at the same time (and I believe Pioli mentions it on the show), if they knew he was going to be as good as he's been, they wouldn't have waited til the 199th pick to draft him.

Pretty easily IMO. Haven't seen the show, but the only one I can think that even comes close is Montana in the 3rd

Pretty easily IMO. Haven't seen the show, but the only one I can think that even comes close is Montana in the 3rd

John Constantine "Johnny" Unitas

"After college, Unitas was drafted in the ninth round by the Pittsburgh Steelers of the NFL, but was released before the season began since there were four quarterbacks trying to fill out three quarterback spots."

Of course, that was a long time ago.

Last edited:
John Constantine "Johnny" Unitas

"After college, Unitas was drafted in the ninth round by the Pittsburgh Steelers of the NFL, but was released before the season began since there were four quarterbacks trying to fill out three quarterback spots."

Of course, that was a long time ago.
Yeah, but it's great ammunition to bring up whenever a Steeler fan claims the Pats and Belichick 'got lucky' with the Brady draft pick and Pittsburgh is so superior at scouting, evaluating and drafting players.

Then while they are stammering and back-pedaling, before they have a chance to respond, ask them why they let Mike Vrabel become a free agent without an attempt to re-sign him.

Then, if you are really cruel, ask them about the difference between the philosophy of the Pats and Steelers regarding special teams.

After that, just sit back and don't say a word; it makes for great theatre.

Rod Smith of the Broncos could be the best undrafted.

Goo and Dribble.

Johnny Unitis was a 9th round draft pick. Bart Starr was a 15th round draft pick. Both QBs are already in the Hall of Fame.

Goo and Dribble.

Johnny Unitis was a 9th round draft pick. Bart Starr was a 15th round draft pick. Both QBs are already in the Hall of Fame.

Already in the Hall of fame? Yeah that proves Brady's not the better steal. Brilliant observation:rolleyes:

Goo and Dribble.

One of the problems with using the "round" argument from earlier eras is that it involved fewer teams. Unitas, for example, was a 8th round pick, but he was drafted #102 overall, if memory serves, whereas Brady was #199 overall and Starr was #200 overall. Taken from that perspective, Unitas doesn't even belong in the conversation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes