PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady needs weapons.. But, Patriots don't have tons of cap space. How can they free up more?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sony is getting nothing more than a 4th at most in trade.
Just saw a mock where we take Eason ad 23 and Love goes at 31 with the Bucs trading to the niners spot to grab him.
Can anybody sell me on this or is this a disaster?
Personally, I’d be surprised if Eason was still on the board at 23, especially the way that QBs tend to be overvalued.

No hope for recovery of the salary cap cash in the Hernandez/AB pending grievances?? Had read somewhere that Rogah wanted to clean all this up before the advent of the new CBA...

If that 12 million did reappear it would would change things significantly..

Also, won't be a popular move, but releasing Ghost saves about $5 million

i think we all like gostkowski, but i have to imagine most people would like the additional money to sign a skill player if it helps us keep brady

(A) This team is not primed for a deep playoff run with or without Brady.

(B) Let Brady walk, have Stidham battle it out with a rookie in training camp.

(C) Use the money to sign Thuney, Van Noy and whoever else they can to field a balanced and competitive team.
I don't wanna see Brady go anywhere, he's my favorite athlete of all time, in ANY sport.

That being said, it's out of my control, whatever happens, I will root for the Pats with all my heart. IF your scenario happens, this team might be able to be VERY competitive IF they do the right things.

If Brady walks, signing Thuney & Van Noy would be huge. Free Agency would have to be a home run. They MUST sign one of the FA pass catching TEs. Then I would concentrate on the O-Line and D-Line (especially the interior). Then in the draft, they MUST draft a pass catching TE in the first 3 rounds, can't wait to get junk in the 6th or 7th round. Preferable a speed receiver/returner in the first 3 rounds. If they can get a FA TE and a good prospect TE in the draft, plus add some explosiveness in a WR/Returner, this offense could be explosive, even with Stidham at QB. Beefing up the O-Line helps protect him, AND helps make the running game a factor like in 2018.

Yeah considering the very short Brady window.
The only players I could see joining the Patriots would be veterans willing to do a 1-2 prove it deal. Otherwise there is too much uncertainty even IF Brady re-signs.

Sony is getting nothing more than a 4th at most in trade.
Just saw a mock where we take Eason ad 23 and Love goes at 31 with the Bucs trading to the niners spot to grab him.
Can anybody sell me on this or is this a disaster?

By all means, lets assume our draft is a disaster based on some rando's mock. Seems legit.

The reason has finally come out why the Pats are harassing Brady to make a decision and sign before March 13 or 16. Because he will account for a $13M dead money cap hit if he signs after that date. I have no idea why a free agent has a cap hit.

Just one more reason Brady is not going to go back. He’s a free agent for the first time in 20 years, yet his team is pushing him to sign before then. And then Brady leaves it in their hands to sign competent players.

The reason has finally come out why the Pats are harassing Brady to make a decision and sign before March 13 or 16. Because he will account for a $13M dead money cap hit if he signs after that date. I have no idea why a free agent has a cap hit.

Just one more reason Brady is not going to go back. He’s a free agent for the first time in 20 years, yet his team is pushing him to sign before then. And then Brady leaves it in their hands to sign competent players.

It hasn't 'finally come out', it's been clear and known since the day they struck their deal last year.

Save $5m cut JasonMc.
Don't resign DevinMc.
Restructure Gost contract.
Restructure Sanu's last year (6.5m) or let him walk.
Extend Gilmore.
GoodBye Chung.

go after Austin Hooper (better than Henry).

Last edited:
Save $5m cut JasonMc.
Don't resign DevinMc.
Restructure Gost contract.
Restructure Sanu's last year (6.5m) or let him walk.
Extend Gilmore.
GoodBye Chung.

go after Austin Hooper (better than Henry).
Health permitting; Henry is the superior TE. He is exceptional in the run/pass blocking game for the LAC, as well as a nice receiving target. Not quite “Gronk or Kittle exceptional”, but elite enough. I do like Hooper though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes