PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady Last 22 Playoff games 27 INTS

Status
Not open for further replies.
The case is simply, he's got games against defenses that in a specific playoff game play well and can get pressure with the front-four only with multiple interceptions.

2016: 2 against the Texans
2015: 2 against the Broncos
2014: 2 against the Seahawks
2012: 2 against the Ravens
2011: 2 against the Ravens
2009: 3 against the Ravens
2007: 3 against the Chargers
2006: 3 against the Chargers
2005: 2 against the Broncos

In those nine games he threw 21 interceptions. In his other 23 playoff games nine in total.

Remarkable..... but makes complete sense.

I would also include the 2010 divisional game against the Jets, even though Brady had only 1 interception, he was sacked 5 times and under pressure all day.

I'm having an issue w/ all the folks in this thread who so easily are brushing this thread off

the facts and stats and history is there, and it cannot be denied...that does not mean we would take anyone else as our QB instead of Brady

but 27 picks in 22 games is an avg of more than 1 INT/game, and that is NOT good, and SHOULD be improved, and it IS a concern, even if the rest of the plays are great and he has 3-4 TDs and 300+ yards INTs are NEVER good

I wonder if his first set of playoff games he had less? I would like to investigate and try and figure out why maybe this happens? or is that clip of INTs typical against playoff teams/defenses because they're better than average so his stats or best QBs stats are similar against those teams even during reg season

I'm having an issue w/ all the folks in this thread who so easily are brushing this thread off

the facts and stats and history is there, and it cannot be denied...that does not mean we would take anyone else as our QB instead of Brady

but 27 picks in 22 games is an avg of more than 1 INT/game, and that is NOT good, and SHOULD be improved, and it IS a concern, even if the rest of the plays are great and he has 3-4 TDs and 300+ yards INTs are NEVER good

I wonder if his first set of playoff games he had less? I would like to investigate and try and figure out why maybe this happens? or is that clip of INTs typical against playoff teams/defenses because they're better than average so his stats or best QBs stats are similar against those teams even during reg season
First off, the average doesn't matter. You don't play average teams. As I said, he's got 21 interceptions in nine games against defenses that pressure him with front-four only while having solid to very good secondaries. That needs to be improved, for sure. In the other 23 playoff games he's got nine interceptions. That's solid considering that you are playing playoff teams.

As for other QBs. The issue is always sample size with the playoffs. Take Drew Brees, he's only got 11 games total on his belt. Of the one's with a sufficient sample size, Ben Roethlisberger's got 22 interceptions in 19 playoff games. Peyton Manning's got 25 interceptions in 27 games. Favre's got 30 in 24 games.

Yes he was. He made one bad decision
He made more than
Yes, it's a mistake, a mistake against Vonn Miller the best defensive player in the AFC last year.

Actually most of Brady's interceptions come from linebackers dropping into coverage while he was targeting Gronk, so it's not really a Von Miller thing.

Last edited:
During that span his interception to pass attempts are about average for TOP QBs. He's had games with no running game and a depleted receiver core.

Look, I know we're all putting the best spin on the number, which is fine. I'm not downplaying those arguments.

All I'm saying is that prior to this thread if you asked the board members to guess how many INTs Brady has thrown in the last 22 playoff games I think the majority of us would have picked a number between 13-16. So I stand by my statement that it's still an eye opening figure because it's much more than most of us would have anticipated.

Does that change my view of him? Do I think any less of his abilities to win future playoff games? DEFINITELY NOT!

As long as we win is all that matters. Sometimes Brady has to trust his receivers and his decision to throw it. If you throw it as much as we do ints are likely to happens. Plus as others have said the defenses are better.

On a side note I hope Brady is only listening to how badly he has been playing and how many ints he has been throwing. I want him pissed off and angry when this game starts.

Its the playoffs. It doesn't matter how you win, it matters THAT you win. If, in order to become the greatest playoff winner in NFL history Tom Brady needed to take additional amounts of risk in order to win, and he did that, its another example of his greatness. If additionally, or alternatively, he made a larger amount of bad plays because of the strength of the opponent, or even if you were to say its because of the pressure of the playoffs, his ability to produce under pressure OVERCAME it.
He threw a bad pick vs Seattle. Then he was ungodly in the last 2 drives to overcome it. Call him a choker for the pick if you want, because his greatness in overcoming it makes him the greatest clutch QB in the history of the NFL.
If anyone looks at Bradys 23-9 post-season record and doesn't realize it is the best ever primarily BECAUSE OF HIM, and realize that there has not been a QB born, that put in his place those 32 games would have won as many, they do not know what they are talking about.

You can't just blame Collins for what happened next.

What?? Yes you can

That wasn't some zone coverage were Daniels wasn't his responsibility and someone else messed up. Collins was on Daniels the whole time and got beat.

Look, I know we're all putting the best spin on the number, which is fine. I'm not downplaying those arguments.

All I'm saying is that prior to this thread if you asked the board members to guess how many INTs Brady has thrown in the last 22 playoff games I think the majority of us would have picked a number between 13-16. So I stand by my statement that it's still an eye opening figure because it's much more than most of us would have anticipated.

Does that change my view of him? Do I think any less of his abilities to win future playoff games? DEFINITELY NOT!
I'm actually, not that surprised by the number. I do agree that he has made some bad decisions in some recent playoff games. In 2014, in the Indy game the pick near the goal line at the end of the first half was a bad decision as was the same sort of pick in the Seattle game in the first half near the goal line where he was getting pressure and he kind of through it up instead of taking sack and a field goal try. However, I think the bulk of the Ints have come in games where their offense was severely limited by injuries or poor line play along with facing really good defenses. I don't expect a repeat of the Houston game Sunday. Houstons D is better than Pittsburgh.

I'm actually, not that surprised by the number.

Well, count yourself in the minority.

Just for fun, earlier today I asked a group of about 13 co-workers who are Patriots fans (not obsessed ones like us who visit this forum), but I asked them that question (among others so they didn't get hte sense that I was setting them up for a trick question)..............I asked them to guess how many INTs Brady has in his last 27 playoffs games.

One guy said 4, another said 10, but the others were between 14-20.

Well, count yourself in the minority.

Just for fun, earlier today I asked a group of about 13 co-workers who are Patriots fans (not obsessed ones like us who visit this forum), but I asked them that question (among others so they didn't get hte sense that I was setting them up for a trick question)..............I asked them to guess how many INTs Brady has in his last 27 playoffs games.

One guy said 4, another said 10, but the others were between 14-20.
I'm not saying I would have guessed right.

However, I think the bulk of the Ints have come in games where their offense was severely limited by injuries or poor line play along with facing really good defenses. I don't expect a repeat of the Houston game Sunday. Houstons D is better than Pittsburgh.

Sounds like we are making a lot of excuses for him when these same things would apply to other QBs. I'm not trying to start a smear campaign, I just dont' think we need to make excuses for it either. He still wins, so that's all that matters. Is he prone to some bad decisions from time to time, sure, but all in all, I wouldn't change a thing.

Its the playoffs. It doesn't matter how you win, it matters THAT you win. If, in order to become the greatest playoff winner in NFL history Tom Brady needed to take additional amounts of risk in order to win, and he did that, its another example of his greatness. If additionally, or alternatively, he made a larger amount of bad plays because of the strength of the opponent, or even if you were to say its because of the pressure of the playoffs, his ability to produce under pressure OVERCAME it.
He threw a bad pick vs Seattle. Then he was ungodly in the last 2 drives to overcome it. Call him a choker for the pick if you want, because his greatness in overcoming it makes him the greatest clutch QB in the history of the NFL.
If anyone looks at Bradys 23-9 post-season record and doesn't realize it is the best ever primarily BECAUSE OF HIM, and realize that there has not been a QB born, that put in his place those 32 games would have won as many, they do not know what they are talking about.

Is there anything you can't put a homer spin on?

"Tom Brady accused of drowning puppies"

AndyJohnson: I love it. He's got ice in his veins and is a stone cold killer on and off the field. Exactly the kind of attitude you need at QB.

turnovers are not just INTs...Brady can certainly throw a pick and the Pats still win...
The Ravens game we handed them gifts, the score was as close as ti was because of those gifts. The Texans had the best D in the NFL we still beat them by 18.
I do understand what you are saying particularly against the Squealers. This is the best offense we have played in quite some time, but it is also one of the weaker Defenses we have faced in quite some time as well.
I still see this as a close game. 31-24 Pats win.

Greatest 4th quarter performance of all time that's all I'll say. And 3 game winning drives in Super Bowls. Close thread
What has he done lately? Brady himself would tell you past performance doesn't matter. Keep thread open...

Yeah we were talking about this at work...really strange...but our D is good enough to carry this team even when and if he is off on Sunday

But given his PC and his tone and look...he is going to come out on fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore